Gluten Free options on Summit

manda9100

What are some of your favorite GF meals on the summit? I've browsed dinner menus & see the many options for dinner but I was wondering about breakfast? Can you get GF Waffles or pancakes? How about any desserts in the coffee shop? Anything that you lived or hated?

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

From my experiences, they make pizza crust, waffles, cookies with white rice flour, no gum and no other modifications. The products are so dry that they are not at all enjoyable. In January, on the Reflection, they had Canyon Bakehouse bread with a dedicated toaster. On the same ship in May, they still had the dedicated toaster but where back to Food For Life bread. Cookies in the Cafe were hit or miss. It might take 3 days after the request for them to show up.

Some of my favorite menu items that had been modified to gluten free were discontinued. However, in the Lido, most things were gluten free. Things are just unpredictable and vary within the fleet as well as from one sailing to the next on the same ship. You can find enjoyable selections if you avoid most replacements.

I always talk with the chefs but they can only work with the supplies they are provided when it comes to replacements. They would probably do better to purchase good quality items and keep them frozen, such as pizza crust and burger buns.

It is no big deal doing without for 7-10 days. When you are on a ship for 24 days, it can get a bit discouraging. One chef once told me that spelt was gluten free.

Thank you for the input! I've already notified them of my gluten allergy & have been reassured I will be well taken care of. I find that in my past vacations at all inclusive resorts or other cruise lines, the food is usually good but limited in options. I find myself eating the same thing over & over & usually get bored with it. I'm really hoping for a GF version of a chocolate lava cake. The one that Carnival had was wonderful. I would probably not get bored with 7 nights of chocolate cake. :D

I really do not know if I had the lava cake on Celebrity or Holland America. You will definitely be offered creme brulee. You night pack a few cookies or pretzels for the times you just need something. The do have EstrellaDamn beer. GF is not bad, just somewhat lacking.