Gratuities on HAL

sunshiners

I was curious about the service charges and asked a woman staff member if they got a portion of the tip/service charge. She laughed and said that they all had managers who got the best job for them and they had to sign a contract as to the job and the wages and that was all they got - the wages listed on the contract. Nothing extra.

A male staff member told me that he gets annoyed at the idea that they are all poor - he said that they can live on next to nothing as a kilo of rice only costs 69 cents and fruit trees grow everywhere so they go across the street and help themselves.

From the mouths of the staff........thought that was interesting.

Or was it their pride speaking or the 'corporate line'?

Recommend you check this site: cruise line jobs (no spaces) dot com or one that is similar if you google jobs on cruise ships.

Is a staff member considered part of the crew, however?
Sometimes yes sometimes no, depending on context. I believe that the HSC goes to everyone in the Hotel Department except officers, salaried, contractors, and bar staff. Engineering/maintenance, Operations, Security, etc, etc, don't share in it. The bar staff have their own pool funded by the 15% S.C. Edited by jtl513

...By the way, personal attacks in posts are in contravention of our guidelines and will guarantee removal of the entire post regardless of the content of the rest of that post.

Since I posted this yesterday there have been several more posts removed because they contravened our guidelines. To avoid further such posts and more suspensions of posting privileges, this thread is closed.

Edited by Host Walt