Earliest time you have left San Juan

calliecat

What is the earliest flight that you have taken out of San Juan after the boat has docked?

We have a cruise planned in January and I am in the process of booking a flight. I don't know much about the airport in San Juan so I don't know if I can book a flight home earlier than 12N. I also haven't called Princess but from past experience, we sit for a couple hours waiting for our number to be called before we can leave the ship.

We are always ready to get home after we've been gone for a while.

I would be careful. If you are cruising on a weekend, San Juan airport is a zoo. After you get off the ship and to the airport, you have to go through an agriculture checkpoint as well as through airline check-in. In addition, there will be more ships in port in San Juan in January Last year, it took us well over an hour to make it through first class check-in.

There were posts on the RCCL boards about passengers very stressed out over flights scheduled before noon.

IMO, I'd give myself time and not spend my cruise worrying over whether I'll make my flight, esp. since if something happens, the chances of getting another flight that day will be slim with all the other cruise passengers.

Ok, I'm answering my own question. I called Princess today and because it's not considered an international flight, I can book a flight as early as 1045am.

You are out of your mind (& I mean that in a sweet, helpful way -- seriously not trying to insult you) if you book that flight out of that AP. If the ship docks at 8 am you still have to clear customs & immigration. There's no way that takes less than an hour. What happens if some idiot on your ship has drugs or some other delaying problem? If you get into port late -- oh boy. Then you still have to get to the AP which will take 20-30 minutes. Even for a domestic flight you have to be at the AP one hour before take off. Can you really get there at 9:45? Finally, SJU has one metal detector / scanner & five cruise ships worth of people. It is not a pretty, well-organized or effeicient system especially on Sundays.

We just went through this..............

Booked custom air thru rcl - they gave us 10:45 flight out of San Juan.

EVERYONE AND THEIR UNCLES said "Dont do it"

Long story short: We cancelled our custom air and booked our own for a

3:09 p.m. flight home. I feel so much better knowing that the end of my

glorious vacation will not be ruined by having to kill ourselves to make a flight or

worse yet - missing it. JMO

I took your advice and did not book the 1100 flight. We now have a 1:35pm flight out of San Juan. Thank you for your input. But you know......when I called Princess, they made out like it was no big deal to get an early flight out. How close do they look at the tags on disembarkation (wondering if I can jump ship earlier than my allowed time to leave)? Now I'm worred that 1:35 is too soon.

Archived