Galapagos cruise with Machu Picchu Extension

clbkatz

I have booked this for March 2017, but now I am reading post after post (so many of them), and questioning if this is the best time to go. Does anyone have any opinions on this? I want to be able to get in the waters and snorkel and/or swim and not freeze, plus I really want to swim with the seals. Is March a good time for this. I know the waters should be warm during this time of the year but will it rain more days than not and be too hot that I will be miserable? And what about the weather in Peru & Ecuador during this time? Any input is greatly appreciated.

I have booked this for March 2017, but now I am reading post after post (so many of them), and questioning if this is the best time to go. Does anyone have any opinions on this? I want to be able to get in the waters and snorkel and/or swim and not freeze, plus I really want to swim with the seals. Is March a good time for this. I know the waters should be warm during this time of the year but will it rain more days than not and be too hot that I will be miserable? And what about the weather in Peru & Ecuador during this time? Any input is greatly appreciated.

We sailed on the Expedition February 23rd last year. We swam and snorkelled whenever we could...Celebrity provided wet suits. Were in our shorts everyday but it was cool in the evenings in Peru.

Not only is the Machu Picchu extension 2-3x the price you can get on your own, you will have a very limited time at the ruins. When we did it (independently) we had already made an initial visit to the ruins (in the morning) and were having a leisurely lunch when the Celebrity tour arrived. When they were leaving to head back to Cusco, we were still visiting the site in the afternoon. We then spent the night in Aguas Calientes while the Celebrity tour went back to Cusco. Yes, the train they use is the Hiram Bingham, supposedly a luxury train, but honestly, you are looking at the scenery on the way to Aguas Calientes, not the train car you are riding in.

Do it independently. Not only will you save a bunch of money I would bet you have a more enjoyable time.

I can't comment on the weather questions as we did this trip in November 2015. However, I would just like to add that we, too, did Cusco/Lima/MP on our own after the Xpedition cruise using Escaped to Latin America as our travel agent. It was much cheaper and we had more control over our itinerary. Their arrangements were flawless.

Been on this cruise but not the extension as we had previously done a sacred valley macchu picchu trek. Best times to see animals etc is Dec and July. These are the mating and birthing seasons. We went right after Thanksgiving and loved it. One of our best travel experiences. The water is cool most of the year. Its the pacific and in dec. It was 65 degrees, but they had wet suits onboard. If Luly is still onboard she gave the best massages ever, book one well worthwhile and no buy product pitches. For a better idea of this cruise, go on the roll calls and read reviews on this site.

good luck

Water around the Galapagos will be fine for swimming at any time of the year, just make sure the seals don't bite or try to mate with you . If you get a chance to swim near pinnacle rock, the Penguins will happily swim between your legs showing you how useless you are in the water :D

We are in Quito Ecuador....make sure u have travelers insurance, as Cotopaxi Volcano, which is around 50km to the south of Quito is actively spitting out gas and ash, has been for a few weeks now.....it can stay this way for years, go back to being quiet, or erupt......Right now the ash is being blown in a westerly manner, so not affecting Quito Airport.....Sometimes when there i sno cloud cover, u can see the volcano (turn down ur volume) http://www.seguridad.gob.ec/volcancotopaxi/index.php/en-vivo-volcancotopaxi/

The dark grey stuff is the ash.

Just did Galapagos with Celebrity last October.-fantastic! I planned air and travel to Macchu Picchu and Lake Tittiaca on our own - all with private transportation. Even took the all day train from Cusco to Puno. It was much cheaper than what Celebrity offered and we spent over a week touring the area. I booked everything online and all went smoothly. You can have a more thorough experience if you book it yourself.