Question about Pearl sofa bed in balcony cabins

TMC

I am hoping that someone can help fill in a few details about the single sofa bed in balcony cabins. I have found two different photos, and not sure if one is labeled wrong or if maybe something changed when Pearl was refurbished?

One photo shows the sofa bed open and it appears the same length as the bed and blocks the balcony door. Another photo it appears about a foot shorter and leaves a small walkway. My son is too tall for that one. Not considering size, is this type of fold out more or less comfy than the one in the mini suites. Most doubles have the bar in the middle that doesn't feel too good, but this single looks more like a futon. Also, is there a small nightstand table between the queen (pushed together) bed and the sofa bed?

Thanks so much for any and all info.

TMC

I read a post yesterday (unfortunately I can't remember which thread or by whom) that said the length of the sofa bed could be a shorter OR longer option. Their child was still small enough to set it up at the shorter length, but it could have been made up to a full bed length. Sorry I can't point you to the photo.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

I read a post yesterday (unfortunately I can't remember which thread or by whom) that said the length of the sofa bed could be a shorter OR longer option. Their child was still small enough to set it up at the shorter length, but it could have been made up to a full bed length. Sorry I can't point you to the photo.

Are the sofa beds set back up to use as a sofa during the day? Or are they pulled out and need to be left that way? If they are set back up as a sofa, are they made back up into a bed in the evening?

My understanding is that on the Jewel ships, the sofa bed in a balcony room does cover the balcony door as it is thinner so the person sleeps orientated the same was at the people on the main bed.

In the mini suites, the sofa bed is wider, and you sleep along the length of the sofa, so it doesn't stick out into the room as much and doesn't block the balcony door as much (if at all).

It's the main reason I would book a mini over a balcony on those ships.

Are the sofa beds set back up to use as a sofa during the day? Or are they pulled out and need to be left that way? If they are set back up as a sofa, are they made back up into a bed in the evening?

They are set up each evening and made back into a sofa every morning.

I am hoping that someone can help fill in a few details about the single sofa bed in balcony cabins. I have found two different photos, and not sure if one is labeled wrong or if maybe something changed when Pearl was refurbished?

One photo shows the sofa bed open and it appears the same length as the bed and blocks the balcony door. Another photo it appears about a foot shorter and leaves a small walkway. My son is too tall for that one. Not considering size, is this type of fold out more or less comfy than the one in the mini suites. Most doubles have the bar in the middle that doesn't feel too good, but this single looks more like a futon. Also, is there a small nightstand table between the queen (pushed together) bed and the sofa bed?

Thanks so much for any and all info.

TMC

In the minis the sofa folds out futon style. There is not a bar in the middle like on a regular sleeper sofa. But there are definite slopes/holes/indentations between the cushion pieces. If only one person is sleeping on it you can position yourself so you are all on one section and it is pretty flat. They are not particularly comfortable, though you can request a topper which I am sure helps. That said, I slept on one for a week (in my late 20s) and if I were to be the third person again I would pick the mini despite the uncomfy bed because I really like the curtain that separates the sleeping areas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is interesting. I cannot visualize how it would fold out to two different lengths. If you remember which forum you saw it, please let me know.

Thanks.

This is interesting. I cannot visualize how it would fold out to two different lengths. If you remember which forum you saw it, please let me know.

Thanks.

OK, I found it. It's this review, http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2252994 which if course isn't the ship you're asking about, but it might be similar fleet-wide. The comment and photo are at about the middle of this chunk of the review.

Monday

Today was the midway point of our entire trip, so we planned a "do nothing" sort of day. Being on a cruise ship though, it still ended up being busy busy busy!

We started with breakfast at the buffet, then moved on to giant chess and giant checkers.

DSC03428.jpg

While my husband and son played, I decided to catch the free shuttle to the K-Mart to pick up a few toiletries and things we had forgotten to pack. While docked in Maui, there are two shuttles to take passengers shopping. One goes to the mall and the other goes to K-Mart. I managed to get on the wrong shuttle at 9 am, but the driver was really nice and took me to the K-Mart after dropping everyone else off at the mall. I had twenty minutes to shop, then went outside to find the correct shuttle to get me back to the ship. K-Mart has a huge selection of souvenirs, and sunscreen and beach stuff, along with all the regular stuff. I was back to the ship by 9:35. It's important to remember to take your photo ID along with your ship card whenever you leave. At every single port, security boarded the bus or shuttle and checked everyone's ID and ship card.

At 10:30, we went to the atrium for the Wacky Putt Putt Challenge, which wasn't anything more than a strip of astroturf set up. My son enjoyed it though, and played over and over until someone else showed up wanting a turn. He won a wooden key chain for getting the ball in the hole.

Next stop was Pink's at 10:45, for the arts and crafts activity. Apparently, these events are not very well attended. The girl running it had to call to have an extra table set up. She said she never has more than four or five people come, so when thirty people showed up to make masks, she was a little overwhelmed. It didn't take them long to get ready for everyone though.

At 12:15, we went to the pool for Diving for Pearls, which consisted of the six volunteers jumping in to gather up 6 or 7 ping pong balls to see who could do it the fastest. There was an ice carving demo scheduled for 3, but it was raining so heavily that it ended up being cancelled. Next up was the hula dance class in the Mardi Gras. Holy Moly- that was exhausting! We didn't stay long, because there was a Ping Pong tournament scheduled at 3:30.

At 4:15, we went to the Hollywood Theater for the nut lei making class. They turned out great! It took us over an hour to make them, but they turned out so nice. Well worth the time spent! We had hoped to make it to the Family Balloon Twisting activity, but missed it because we weren't finished making our leis.

From there, we rushed to our 5:30 reservation at Teppenyaki. It was entertaining, but it wasn't the greatest teppenyake show. It was good, but I didn't think it was worth paying extra for (although I didn't think any of the upcharge dining venues were tat much better than the MDR.) The food was plentiful. None of us were able to eat everything we were given.

DSC03484.jpg

The fruit plate for dessert was delicious!

DSC03497.jpg

The green tea cake and ice cream was odd to me, but it was probably awesome to people who like that flavor!

DSC03496.jpg

After our day of "relaxing," we were exhausted and headed to bed early. (This became a daily occurrence!)

I was worried about the room configuration for three people. The two twin beds pushed together to make a large bed, then there was a sofa bed. My concern was that the sofa bed, when opened, would block the door to the balcony. We discovered this wasn't the case. The bed CAN be opened all the way for adults, but if you have children, they can sleep on it set up just like this. (Pardon the mess, I took this picture when we were getting organized and starting to repack everything at the end of the trip.)

DSC04329.jpg

We found that we had plenty of room for the three of us, but we didn't spend that much time IN the cabin on this port intensive cruise.

Here is the daily:

day%203%20pg%203.jpg

Edited by mbuenzli