Wifi on the Navigator?

julee407

Pretty slow, better that dialup, but not much.

I agree. We were able to check email fairly readily, but anything involving larger photos was bad. We tried to upload just a couple of things to Facebook for family to see, and it took forever and numerous time-outs. (We were able to see Facebook fairly quickly...the photos were late in loading, but the text came up pretty fast.)

Downloading a book from Amazon library usually takes me about 15 seconds at home. 3-5 minutes (roughly) on the Navigator.

I want to communicate with grandson onboard ship. We both have AT&T iPhones. Given the slow wifi and cost of $30 a day for 2 devices, would it be better (and perhaps less expensive) to get a calling plan for the 2 cell phones rather than try to communicate via iMessage over wifi?

Never had the need for either on past cruises but this year we are bringing our new grandson with us also. Both boys are 15 and will probably only be with us for meals, shore excursions and a couple of shows.

~ Judy

I want to communicate with grandson onboard ship. We both have AT&T iPhones. Given the slow wifi and cost of $30 a day for 2 devices, would it be better (and perhaps less expensive) to get a calling plan for the 2 cell phones rather than try to communicate via iMessage over wifi?

Never had the need for either on past cruises but this year we are bringing our new grandson with us also. Both boys are 15 and will probably only be with us for meals, shore excursions and a couple of shows.

~ Judy

Figure out how many messages you will send. With no plan, each message sent will cost $0.50. Once you know how many messages, you can determine if it's less expensive to get a package.

How would this apply to using Skype? I am fairly new to cruising and have never used wifi but this year we will be cruising on Christmas day and I want to Skype with my son who is a missionary in Ghana Africa. Anyone know if this is possible and how I would go about it?

Figure out how many messages you will send. With no plan, each message sent will cost $0.50. Once you know how many messages, you can determine if it's less expensive to get a package.

Thanks Bob. If there is no charge for incoming messages, even 20 messages sent would only run $10 a day. Sounds like a very economical way to keep in connect with eac other while we are onboard.

~ Judy