Disabled cruisers HELP

sueernieb

In a few weeks we will be taking our first cruise where I will be using a walker while the ship is docked and a wheelchair when the ship is sailing. I have Parkinsons and it has progressed quickly the last year or so. I am having a hard time getting excited because I am so worried and upset about the difference this will mean to me. Can anyone share any experiences with me that will help me get out of this "funk" I am in, quit feeling sorry for myself and get ready for an enjoyable cruise.

Sue :)

Sue,

Happy cruising! On my next cruise I will be bringing a walker, cane and scooter.My scooter will be used for distances and my walker has a seat. I can walk a little with the cane but I don't do well standing in lines and will use the walker. I will have a seat for sail a way or just wave watching.

I am so looking forward to my cruise and I will do what I have to do to enjoy the wonders of being at sea. Every ones cruise experience is different and we might not be climbing rock walls but we will have a wonderful time.

Don't get too tired and pace your self. If something would help you ask to see if it is available. I have requested a shower chair and guess what? I need to elevate my legs every day and I am bringing a deflated beach ball to blowup in the cabin. That will be my footstool. Cute too.

Have you spoken to the Special Needs desk? They will be glad to help in any way they can. I will have a cruise line transfer and they have a bus that can handle my scooter.

Plan ahead and ask questions. Pamper yourself and do something for yourself everyday.

Have fun and enjoy every minute. Give a big smile to all those around you and a bigger smile to those that are honored to help you.

I wish we were going to be on the same cruise and we could have lunch or tea.

Relax and enjoy the healing power of the sea.

Feel those cool breezes and look at the twinkling stars. They are for you.

Happy cruising. If you see a smiling lady with a little gray hair and a few other interesting things going on it might be me. I WILL see the world one port at a time.

Susan

In a few weeks we will be taking our first cruise where I will be using a walker while the ship is docked and a wheelchair when the ship is sailing. I have Parkinsons and it has progressed quickly the last year or so. I am having a hard time getting excited because I am so worried and upset about the difference this will mean to me. Can anyone share any experiences with me that will help me get out of this "funk" I am in, quit feeling sorry for myself and get ready for an enjoyable cruise.

Though don't have Parkinson I do have MS and experience some of the same symptoms such as fatigue was well as balance issues. With that said I cruise solo more often than not. Bring with me a cane, rollator with a seat as well as rent a scooter for the cruise. Having been an avid cruiser prior to being disabled, I now find cruising for the most part to be very suitable for someone with a disability.

I saddens me greatly to hear that you're in a "funk" about this cruise. Personally I cruise to help rejuvenate myself, relax and be pampered for week particularly since I'm my own care giver.

As my doctor has always told me it's all about energy management and to plan your day so that you do only that which gives much comfort, joy and happiness. You don't have to do everything. Relax on sea days so you have the energy to go off ship when in port if you choose. If your walker does not have a seat than suggest you purchase one that does. The seat will come in handy both on and off the ship.

Did you book and accessible cabin ? If not you can request a shower seat which you might find of great benefit if you're balance has become a concern.

Just contact the special needs dept for the cruiseline you're traveling on to order a shower seat.

Please don't hesitate to post any specific questions you may have as all of us on this forum really want you to enjoy your cruise !

Edited by xxoocruiser

Susan andxxoo cruiser. I cannot thank you enough for taking the time to post. You both have given me hope and great ideas. We are traveling with three other couples so there will be plenty of helping hands. I need help using the restroom, dressing and showering and my poor husband will be kept busy. We booked this cruise over a year ago and there were no handicap cabins available. I have seen first hand people without disabilities be allowed to book the disabled cabins because they were bigger. But that is another subject. I do ok as long as the cabin does not have a bathtub. I can't climb over th side. Thanks again for being so kind and helpful.

Susan andxxoo cruiser. I cannot thank you enough for taking the time to post. You both have given me hope and great ideas. We are traveling with three other couples so there will be plenty of helping hands. I need help using the restroom, dressing and showering and my poor husband will be kept busy. We booked this cruise over a year ago and there were no handicap cabins available. I have seen first hand people without disabilities be allowed to book the disabled cabins because they were bigger. But that is another subject. I do ok as long as the cabin does not have a bathtub. I can't climb over th side. Thanks again for being so kind and helpful.

Based on the cruises listed in your post I see that the cruise in a few weeks is on the Serenade of the Seas. Was on the Serenade this past March and found it to be a very accessible ship.

Some additional tips that you may find helpful.

• If you find the shower in your cabin to challenging there are larger showers in the gym/spa area that can be used.
  • If you've booked traditional dining suggest you go to the MDR and check out your table location to see if it's a location that you can easily access either by wheelchair and or walker. If not than speak to the Matre'd to have the table location changed. They're usually very accommodating particularly when there's a mobility issue.
  • Also note that wait staff will move that walker or wheelchair once you are seated and will return it after dinner. Just make certain it's marked with your name. I usually just place an RCCL luggage tag on it as it has both your name and cabin number.
  • One pool and one hot tub on all RCCL ships have a chair lift. The pool attendants will assist you.
  • The Solarium pool has steps with a hand rail to enter the pool.

Edited by xxoocruiser

I can completely understand what you are saying. I do not have Parkinson's but I do have Esstential Tremors which means my balance is off and my head and hands shake all the time. Even more so when I am trying to eat, use my hands or I am stressed. Due to other health problems, I am unable to take medications that might or might not help with the shaking. We booked this cruise to Hawaii over 18 months ago. This is what my husband and I have done to make it easier for me. First off a Nitro Rollator. Not cheap but it folds up very flat, goes thru the cabin doors easily and will be easy to store. We are scheduled for shore excursions, but they all can be cancelled up to 24 hours in advance without losing our money so if I am not feeling well I don't have to worry that I am "wasting" money. I ordered a shower chair for the room plus armless chairs for the balcony and dining room. For me those work out easier. I am bringing along my Chinese soup spoon. Some days, I can only eat with a spoon because the shaking is so bad. I also love soup and I end up wearing 3/4 of it if I use I use a regular soup spoon. So I carry a Chinese soup spoon in my purse and use that. If I have days when I'm too tired or the shaking is really bad, I plan on asking my cabin steward for the menu for the Main Dining room and will have dinner delivered to me. Hopefully some of these will help you 😊.

Lollie

Hi Sue – I hope you're starting to be a little more relaxed about your cruise! I do not have Parkinson's disease, however I do have osteoarthritis in both hips, my spine, and stenosis of the spine. It has gotten worse over the past year or so, but I still find cruising to be one of the best vacations for someone with my mobility problems.

Sorry! Sometimes I hit the wrong thing on my iPad. I heartily agree about bringing a walker, however I use a Gateway HealthSmart Rollator. It's a European design model that QVC sold, And instead of folding front to back it folds side to side. It still has a seat, (although uncushioned) but I find it much easier to be able to travel with it since it takes up less room. I'm able to use just a cane on the ship because there are so many places for me to sit when I need to. Probably the best advice is simply to know what you're capable of at any given time. There is absolutely nothing wrong with staying on the ship, relaxing and enjoying being away from home. I found as my disease progressed and my activity level got a little worse, I began to adjust to a slower pace. Fortunately when you cruise, any pace you choose is good!

Like Lollie, I do ship excursions and do mostly ones that involve a lot of riding. I've found that by and large, the ships staff have been ready to help if necessary. Probably the trickiest part has been the elevators! I usually just stand back and wait till the crowd thins out enough for me to actually get ON an elevator!

I hope you find as you begin your cruise that you start to relax. You won't be alone with your challenges as there are many of us right there with you!

Dear Sue

It was a great pleasure to send you a few cruise ideas. I wish I could send you a hug along with the good wishes.

I believe cruising is the perfect vacation as it is so flexible. I hope you have a wonderful time.

I had to cancel my Infinity cruise for next year but I will be thinking of you.

Happy cruising

Susan

I have mobility issues which makes it difficult for me to walk very far at a time. I am excited about our upcoming cruise because I have gotten a power wheelchair. It should make it so much easier for me to get around the ship.

We have been on quite a few cruises and they are the best vacations for us because they seem to fit better for my disabilities. You can do whatever you like and anything you need is right there and available. If you don't feel like doing anything, you can sit on your balcony if you have one and if you don't have one you can go to one of the lounges that have large windows and look out.

It will be great! I hope you have a wonderful cruise and I believe once you go, you will want to go again.

Have a great time!!!

........Probably the trickiest part has been the elevators! I usually just stand back and wait till the crowd thins out enough for me to actually get ON an elevator!

............./QUOTE]

Trick for the elevator--get into one, even if it's going the wrong way. Eventually it will stop on your floor.

Hi Sue,

Just got back from a cruise on the Oasis of the Seas. My husband has Parkinsonism that affects his mobility. He can only walk very short distances with a walker, must use a wheelchair most of the time. We took his manual wheelchair, then had a rented power chair waiting for him in our stateroom. There was so much to do on the ship, he could go almost everywhere. The power chair enabled him to wheel right up to dining tables, etc., without having to transfer. Easy to take off the ship, too. Attendants used one of those balloon-tire wheelchairs to help him to our beach cabana at Labadee. So, I guess the answer to your question, you'll really enjoy your cruise. All the tips from others are spot on, too.

Sandy

Hi Sadie! Good point - and it works well no matter where you are...except on deck 3 when all the shore excursions are returning. ;-).

The other thing we do is eat early and go to the second show. After dinner we grab a fancy coffee and go right to the theater so we can get seats right after the first show lets out. Then we find a spot (and try to get one where we won't have to keep popping up because people want to sit on the other side of us!), relax and chat till show time.

This has nothing to do with challenges, but about 2 weeks before a big vacation, I get very much into "I don't want to go - what's going to go wrong." But I always perk up when we get into the car ( unless it's early morning. Then I growl at anyone who uses the word "perk" unless they're talking about coffee). By the time the vacation actually starts, I'm ready for it. You may just be having some "stage fright" like I do. Have fun - and Let us know how it goes!

I so identify with the trip anxiety.....any little ache or pain and I was convinced i'd be incapacitated by trip day and would not be able to go!.....a wise friend discussed this with me and helped me see it was all in my head....it's been years since I conquered it and the more we travel the easier it is to imagine actually doing it.....finally booking an hc cabin and getting a scooter made for safer,more enjoyable trip every time.....my husband feels he can go off on his own as I can manage myself....

To the op....call every day right up until you leave to see if an hc cabin us available....you might get lucky.....I have twice on trips to bermuda out of boston....ask to have a supervisor check and see if there is an hc cabin assigned to ablr-bodied passengers.....that does happen after final payment....have a wonderful time on your trip!

Just three weeks before our last cruise, I splurged on one of those rollators mentioned in #6, and it made all the difference. It folds from side to side, less than a foot across, so I could get into elevators and down the halls easily. We were on a Princess ship and there are only a few seats available in the theater without using stairs. Now I had my own chair. The seat also makes a good tray to carry things.

Thanks again everyone for all your advice. You have helped me more than you know. Another

question I posted. What about when you are getting off the ship in a port? Someone said they just got off with everyone else. I have never seen a person with a mobility problem do that in 30 cruises. I am sure that poster was right but I cannot imagine having to do it.

Sue

Thanks again everyone for all your advice. You have helped me more than you know. Another

question I posted. What about when you are getting off the ship in a port? Someone said they just got off with everyone else. I have never seen a person with a mobility problem do that in 30 cruises. I am sure that poster was right but I cannot imagine having to do it.

Sue

The poster is correct by having stated there is no priority given to the those using a mobility device when existing or entering the ship at each port. The only difference is that you're allowed to take the elevator whereas able-bodied people are required to take the steps. After getting close to the actual exit way Security generally holds back other passengers or at least slows them down so the a passenger using a mobility device will not be hindered by people rushing to get down or up the gangway. If you do not require to exit at a specific time in order to meet up with a tour it's generally best to wait a while to avoid the rush of people trying to exit early.

Another small tip for you. On the first day, for muster drill (which is compulsory) go at least 30 minutes early to make sure you get an elevator and then a seat at the venue. Newly boarded people mass like lemmings and forget how to use stairs. After muster, just hang around a while to give it some time for the heap of idle flesh in the lobby to evaporate.

Other than that first day hassle, cruising can be the very best form of holiday for someone with a disability. Do as much or as little as you feel you can manage. I sincerely hope it's the first of many.

Another small tip for you. On the first day, for muster drill (which is compulsory) go at least 30 minutes early to make sure you get an elevator and then a seat at the venue. Newly boarded people mass like lemmings and forget how to use stairs. After muster, just hang around a while to give it some time for the heap of idle flesh in the lobby to evaporate.

Other than that first day hassle, cruising can be the very best form of holiday for someone with a disability. Do as much or as little as you feel you can manage. I sincerely hope it's the first of many.

Thanks. It is actually our 31st cruise-just the first disabled one.

My last cruise was in jan on regal princess....it took me over an hour to return to my cabin after the drill....very frustrating as the elevators seemed to be part of the problem....add that to the many people too busy to wait their turn or wait for me to enter.....fortunately that was the worst of it....

When I traveled with my mother, who was a full-time wheelchair user, we always went to the muster drill location via elevator at least 30 min. ahead of time, then planned to stay on that deck for at least another 30 minutes after the drill. No fighting for the elevator, and if needed, I would run our life jackets back to our cabin using the stairs so we didn't have to haul them around with us. This worked well for the 15 cruises I accompanied them on, and the additional 20 my parents took without me using a mobility device for my mother.

My last cruise was in jan on regal princess....it took me over an hour to return to my cabin after the drill....very frustrating as the elevators seemed to be part of the problem....add that to the many people too busy to wait their turn or wait for me to enter.....fortunately that was the worst of it....

Wouldn't it be nice if they would designate just one elevator in each Elevator bank area as H/C "priority". It does not have to be only H/C, but H/C first then able bodies. And if someone is on the elevator and it stops for a H/C, then the able bodies would have to disembark to make room for H/C.

It is a shame that able bodied have to be told to be courteous!

Helen

Wouldn't it be nice if they would designate just one elevator in each Elevator bank area as H/C "priority". It does not have to be only H/C, but H/C first then able bodies. And if someone is on the elevator and it stops for a H/C, then the able bodies would have to disembark to make room for H/C.

It is a shame that able bodied have to be told to be courteous!

Helen

A technique used at Disney Concert Hall (in LA) is that each elevator bank is staffed with one or two ushers on each floor at "rush hours" (15 minutes before and after each concert and at intermission) to make the process go smoothly for folks with mobility issues.

Seems like an easy notion for the cruise lines, especially those with megaships, that a few staff members could be assigned to the elevator banks on each muster drill floor to help with the post-drill vertical transportation needs of those with mobility issues. Even 15 minutes would do the job. Just a thought.

Edited by Host Walt