Cruising with children...

bluekrush

All 3rd and 4th passengers sail at a reduced rate. The reason you are being charged has nothing to do with age but it's just another body that can eat, drink, take up a space on a life boat, etc.

A 1 year old also isn't allowed into Camp Carnival or the pools. Personally, I'd get a sitter and wait until your child is older. My daughter was 4 when we finally brought her.

When we discussed travel with our doctor she suggested cruising since it is so easy. And I agree. No dealing with in and out of cars, no long schleps, can easily get back to cabin for naps, etc. When we board our infant will be 10 months and it will be a great starter vacation for us as parents. Some ships do have paid baby sitting at night time separate from camp carnival. Not sure age limits.

OP we were suggested to get a portable inflatable tub to bathe and let the baby splash in. The carnival group here helped me a bunch with questions and directed me to finding the family forums. Good luck. Have fun

When we discussed travel with our doctor she suggested cruising since it is so easy. And I agree. No dealing with in and out of cars, no long schleps, can easily get back to cabin for naps, etc. When we board our infant will be 10 months and it will be a great starter vacation for us as parents. Some ships do have paid baby sitting at night time separate from camp carnival. Not sure age limits.

OP we were suggested to get a portable inflatable tub to bathe and let the baby splash in. The carnival group here helped me a bunch with questions and directed me to finding the family forums. Good luck. Have fun

Or get a small inflatable pool, like they sell at target/walmart, they'll be on clearance soon, if not already, and aren't much full price.

I guess I am spoiled by my kids. They have always been the type to sleep in their strollers if they are tired (ot anywhere else for that matter). They are also fine getting off schedule and dont mind staying up late and sleeping later in the morning. For all of our vacations, we have never stuck to a bedtime routine like home. I couldn't imagine going back to the room by 8 pm so the kids could go to sleep...and to be honest, on vacation they would protest going to bed that early knowing there was still fun to be had.

We've seen all of the shows on the cruises we've been on and plan to do the same on this one. The kids have always just been mesmerized with everything in the theater or sleep through it.

We utilize camp carnival. Our last cruise, my oldest LOVED camp....so much so that while in port in Grand Cayman he requested to go to camp even though we weren't on the ship! I'm hoping our 2 year old will go some this trip. He is very excited because we've been hyping it up and of course, anywhere his brother goes, he wants to go too. Its a nice break for us. I'm a stay at home, homeschooling mom so its rare to get alone time and time with just the hubby. All of our family is 800 miles away so date nights are few and far between so its nice to get a few nights alone on the cruise.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

My suggestion is to not listen to anyone else except for your child. There are some parents on here with kids who need routine who did not do well on a cruise. My son (2yr) is very easy going and doesnt need routine. He did fantastic on our cruise. He didnt care for the daycare, but I was fine with that. we would just wonder around the ship looking for something to do. he loved going up and down the elevators. he loved dancing to music. he was potty trained so he did play a little in the pool. He didnt spend much time in the cabin with the exception of naps. We did an excursion each port and he did great on all of them. He didnt love the ocean when the waves were stronger, but he liked playing in the sand or exploring the beach. We went on our cruise in June and he still asks if we can go on the cruise ship again. he doesnt understand, "yes baby, in April we are going on the Carnival Glory!" My son has no problem staying up late and sleeping in and he was fine in the MDR (most nights we only had a few minor meltdowns!). I can see how not every child is like this though. so as a mom to another parent, you know your child best. dont listen to anyone else but your child.

We have sailed twice; once pre-kids and then once when our daughter was 14 months. They were definitely two completely different cruises. But, will we do it again? Yes! We're actually working on picking a cruise for early next year when baby #2 will then be around 14 months.

A little about the differences we encountered:

We only ended up eating one meal in the MDR. They did have high chairs and everyone was very nice, but our DD was in a very "chatty" phase and got a little noisy at times. So we felt more comfortable just sticking with the buffet. A little dissapointing, sure, but it worked out fine.

We also only made it to 1.5 shows. One night it worked out that she slept through the show, the other we had to leave early because she wanted to get down and run around.

We brought our City Mini stroller for excursion days and folded it up and slid under the bed while on the ship. The rest of the time we stuck with our Ergo carrier. I highly recommend it! Much easier to get around the ship, get food, etc.

Under 2 they are not allowed to stay alone at Camp Carnival (other than babysitting times). They have a play time during sea days where you can go play with them. It was really nice to have a large room she could get down and run around to play. Other times we went into the theater when it was empty to let her run up and down the aisles.

So as long as you go into it realizing it will be different, you can still have a great time, and my thought is a cruise with kids is still better than no cruise at all! :D

You can read my review below for more info, if interested.

Op, a few comments: EVERYTHING will be different with a child, because a child changes everything.

Op, a person is a person no matter how small. a baby still takes up a person on the ship, on the life boat. So, no reduced fee for age.

yes, it's all about your expectations and what you want out of a vacation/cruise. For US cruises are the easiest/best vacations. If you want time with just your spouse, or without your kid, well, I have no experiance with that! We cruised before dd, but since this was a family vacation, we KNEW before it wouldn't be the same.

We've NEVER had the expectation of leaving dd in nursery or camp, that's not why we cruise. We do use nursery/camp during family/open house hours, but not yet for drop off. I'm a sahm, leaving dd with strangers at a young age isn't an option. Next year, she'll be in preschool, so well, idk. I may just want to spend time with her! Dh works, he wants to spend time with her. My child needs down time, so I expected to spend time just chillin in the room, and that was PERFECT for ME. I don't cruise for shows or to meet people. Before dd, I'd be off somewhere quiet or on the balcony with a book and mp3 player. Not much changed. :D

Last week, we were in the cabin by 8pm, sleeping before 9pm, there was NO just me/dh time, there hasn't been in four years, but that's the type of parents we are. I never feel 'stuck' in the room, I enjoy being in the cabin, we always get a balcony though. Normally, after she's sleeping we'll watch tv/hang out on the balcony together, last week I crashed, and most nights he crashed as well.

Tips: yes go to mdr. bring color wonder markers, stickers, whatever. Check the menu before hand on the tv, one of you go down to order first, the other joins with lo in 10-15 minutes, eat app, go for a walk till main meal. DH takes dd after meal, I stay and enjoy dessert and coffee.

MDR is way easier, imo, than lido. Carnival doesn't have MDR open for lunch, this was a major issue for me last week. It may be a deal breaker for carnival again with kids/for me. I do not want to stand in line, serve myself, find a table, get my drinks on vacation, I want someone WAITING ON ME. If no MDR, then room service, but dd didn't like room service food.

Carnival MDR is no longer open for lunch on sea days?

I don't have any children, but now have food allergies and found it easier (safer) on our cruise in April (Crown Princess, though) to eat as many meals as possible (including lunch) in the MDR.

I had planned to do so as well on my upcoming Conquest cruise.

OP hasn't returned but I'll chime with my .02 anyway.

We cruised with our daughter when she was 6,9, and 15 months. The first two were fantastic. In fact the one when she was 9 months has probably been my favorite. That's just such a fun age. At 15 months... Well let's just say it's a good thing we paid for grandma to come. Actually she was fine with everything but meal times. Anywhere. After that cruise we decided to take a year off and we're just now returning next week. She's a little over two now so we're hoping for a little more civility.

Anyway I say go for it. Carnival actually gave us a crib on our two cruises with them. NCL gave a pack and play which my dd would not sleep in at all. (She actually hated them, never would play in hers at all even at home) The staff really does dote on the babies. It's really sweet, but sad when you remember it's just cause they don't see their own kids often. Our daughter was always happy on deck in her blow up bathtub splashing around.

As for price I actually take the opposite view. Kids make more work for the crew so I don't mind paying more and certainly tipping more. We're very concerned about cleaning up after her but there's stuff that needs to be done that wouldn't be if it were just another adult 3rd passenger.

Try it and see how it goes. The benefits of not having to mess with car seats and dinner plans outweigh any of the negatives imo. But I have a very easy going child, only know your child's temperament.

Carnival MDR is no longer open for lunch on sea days?

Well technically it's brunch and is open until 1:00. Certainly some use it for lunch instead of breakfast (or use it for both). If you get there 5 or 10 minutes before closing, they'll happily serve you "lunch" off the seaday brunch menu and won't kick you out until you're done.