St Croix State of Emergency

Marylandteachergirl

Baltimore, with a population of about 10 times St Croix has had 227 homicides in 2015 compared to St Croix's 9, or about 1/2 the per capita rate. This took place at night & well away from the pier. You are much more likely to run into crime in Miami before you get on the ship.

St. Croix spent 40 years trying to recover from the shock of the Fountain Valley Massacre in 1972. Cruise ships did not port, except very occasionally, when I was living there, hurting the economy. The crime rate is of great concern because of this, plus this seems to be gang related, so time to get very serious. They don't want another incident like the one in St. Martin.

This is a lovely island with wonderful people. Please get off the ship & find out what this island has to offer.

Edited by HarpHarp

I do agree with HarpHarp, the people are very nice. We have visited four times already and always do an excursion, or at least visit Sandcastle Beach and Polly's at the Pier.

This trip we have booked a JollyMon sail.

I do not live IN Baltimore, but it surely is on the news every night - the deplorable situation. It does not define ALL the people who live and work there by any means. Same can be said for St. Croix, or any Caribbean island from time to time.

I just think it's a good reminder to all visitors to be aware of their surroundings and vigilant. Being informed is important.

By all means, do get off the ship. Last time we were there we were able to have a great conversation with some US Coast Guard personnel right at the port. They said it was a great duty station assignment.

Baltimore, with a population of about 10 times St Croix has had 227 homicides in 2015 compared to St Croix's 9, or about 1/2 the per capita rate. This took place at night & well away from the pier. You are much more likely to run into crime in Miami before you get on the ship.

St. Croix spent 40 years trying to recover from the shock of the Fountain Valley Massacre in 1972. Cruise ships did not port, except very occasionally, when I was living there, hurting the economy. The crime rate is of great concern because of this, plus this seems to be gang related, so time to get very serious. They don't want another incident like the one in St. Martin.

This is a lovely island with wonderful people. Please get off the ship & find out what this island has to offer.

Thank you HarpHarp for helping everyone keep everything in perspective. I have been trying to figure out just what so say about all of this from the local viewpoint, so here goes:

Every community has crime, some more than others, but sensationalizing it only aggravates the situation.

All of the shootings have taken place away from Frederiksted (where the cruise ships dock) and have involved locals only.

As a visitor to my island you are perfectly safe getting off your ship and enjoying the west end. Please don't go wandering in the projects and the low income housing and you will be fine.