Air-sea cruise, are transfers included in the price?

Hi everyone, we are due to take a RC cruise in the Eastern Mediterranean in October. The cruise was booked via the Royal Caribbean website and includes flights to and from Rome. When one books online, the option to purchase transfers is available. Last year when I booked online for a similar RC cruise I opted to buy transfers and was surprised when we arrived at Venice, Italy airport to find that the lady with the RC clipboard waiting for customers told us that we weren't travelling on her large coach to the port but that we had booked a personal car to take us to the ship. I was then left thinking that I might have unintentionally paid for a higher level of service than we actually needed. This time I have decided to ignore the transfer purchase option while I investigate whether a coach is provided as a standard service anyway. The Royal Caribbean website says that transfers are provided if both air and sea passages are booked together but getting a definitive answer by phone or email is very difficult, so far. Any advice please?

(http://bookings.royalcaribbean.co.uk/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Ports+of+Departure&faqId=2667&faqSubjectId=318&faqType=faq&wuc=GBR)

If you have purchased a package from Royal Caribbean with flights included, transfers to the port will also be included and someone will be waiting for you when you arrive at the airport to direct you to your bus.

The RCI website for the UK has been changed and books the flights / transfers separately now.

If you log into the C&A section of the website it will allow you to see the packaged price, without paying for a separate car.

Alternatively, if you call them over the phone, they will always give you the package price including the coach transfer

Thanks everyone, it certainly seems confusing, there is a current RCI web page (mentioned in my original post) that states that someone will meet customers who buy an air-sea package from them, is that out of date and to be ignored? Emailing RCI seems to be a fruitless activity, no response so far. Is there anyone who has cruised recently, bought the whole package from RCI, flown from the UK to Rome, who can shed light on what their actual policy is? :confused:

This current webpage in their FAQ section also seems to confirm that air-sea packages include transfers:

http://www.royalcaribbean.co.uk/frequently-asked-questions/choosing-your-next-cruise/whats-included/

Edited by Herman Smith

What's Included

What is included in my cruise package?

Your cruise holiday includes everything you'd need to enjoy a carefree holiday, there are extras you can purchase while onboard if you wish.

What is included:

Ship accommodation

Ocean transportation

Most meals onboard

Some beverages onboard

Most entertainment and activities onboard

The following services are not included in the basic cruise price:

Organised Shore Excursions

Dining in Speciality Restaurants such as Portofino and Chops Grille

Dining in Johnny Rockets (where applicable)

Alcoholic Beverages

Non-Alcoholic Beverages (excluding water, soft lemonade and iced tea)

Any purchases made in the gift shops on board

Spa and Salon services

Gambling (including Bingo)

Photographs

Art Auctions

Video Arcade

Golf Simulator

Medical Services

Internet Access

Transfers to and from the ship on embarkation and disembarkation days (unless a guest has purchased our air/sea package)

Laundry and Dry Cleaning Services

Ship to Shore Telephone calls

Tips

Thats if you're booking it as a package price..

If you're selecting your own flights and transfers, thats not a package, it's bascially an ad-hoc created holiday.

The package is where RCI select the flights for you. To get the package price on the internet, you need to login via:

https://secure.royalcaribbean.co.uk/cas/login.do

Go to "Cruise Deals" > Select "Contests and Promotions"

Then you have a booking search tool on the right hand side. If you find the cruise from that page, it will allow you to select the airport gateway, and RCI will book the flights / transfers for you.

Either that, or just do it over the phone.

I don't know why they've hidden that ability away so much online now.

Thanks very much for explaining that, I had assumed that if I selected from flights suggested by RCI, that would count as a package. As you say, they could do with making their website a little more user friendly. I shall go ahead and book a transfer independently.