Changing GTY cabin once assigned

AnnaMiami

I'm the OP and since the time of my initial posting, only one cabin became available within my category, and my TA was able to get Celebrity to switch me. I did call Celebrity directly, but was told that I had to make all changes through my TA. They also suggested that my TA put me back into the general GTY pool for reassignment, but when I called the TA I was told they could not do this as they have filled the # of GTY bookings that Celebrity allotted them (even though the Celebrity website and other online TAs were still selling GTYs. I'm still checking every day as I really want to be closer to the front of the ship, but I don't see it happening at this point, especially since my category doesn't even show up as available for purchase any more.

I just found this unusual from my past experience, since we always had a choice of at least 8 cabins to move to from the time of our GTY assignment. We still saved a good amount by going with GTY and I would not have done differently even knowing the outcome.

I am about to book on the equinox november 9 cruise and will probably book a Balcony Guarantee and ask to be on the wait list for Aqua Class.

Currently, it appears that there are only three balcony cabins available.

Is there a magic window time (e.g. Three weeks out) where Celebrity will open up more cabins that they've been holding or that TAs have been holding? Or should I just book now?

Book now. No magic date. This way, there is more likelihood that other cabins will be available to switch to if you feel the need.

I upgraded to a balcony guarantee on Monday, got our assignment Wednesday for an 11/4 sailing. Got a 2B relatively midship. There are two other 2Bs available but both are forward, and for a TA I just thought the mid location might be best. So we're staying put. But I'm going to keep checking in case one of the sweet 16s opens up!

• 1 month later...

Last Friday I booked a GTY on the Silhouette for a 12 night Scandinavia/Russia cruise. Two days later I noticed I was assigned a 2D, pretty crappy veranda cabin with two lifeboat obstructions. Called Celebrity and they said there is "no upgrade" if you booked a GTY. All they could offer is to throw me back into the pool and hope for the best. Within a day I noticed the same cabin assignment showed up on my booking. Again - back into the pool. I've now decided that if I get one of the 2D obstructed cabins, I will wait to see if there is a price drop and book a 2D and with my Captain's club membership I will be upgraded one category to a 2C. Earlier this year I booked a GTY and a few days later got a 1A huge angled balcony on the hump on deck 8. Still lots of time till final payment, will just keep checking Celebrity's website. Has anyone else had experience with this sort of thing; seems odd that I got the same cabin assignment twice. They must have lots of 2D's available.

I don't think you can do that if you originally booked a GTY, but it would not hurt to ask.

Unfortunately, GTY means that you are guaranteed that category, not that you are guaranteed a great stateroom location. ;)

What was your original booked category?

Have you asked if you can go ahead and get that Captain's Club upgrade now, since you are already assigned a 2D?

Edited by Iamthesea