Cruise insurance

We always choose specific cruise insurance for total peace of mind. When looking for quotes many insurance websites have a cruise option. A company we have used couple of times are Explorer Insurance as we find it is reasonably priced and to my mind provides a good level of cover. However we have never had to make a claim, which in my experience is when you find out just how good or bad the company are. :eek:

I was wondering this too. Does anyone know what cruise insurance specifically covers that normal travel insurance doesn't?

Ours covers things like ...

missed departure £1,000, cabin confinement by ships Dr £100 per day,

itinerary change £150 per port, unused excursions up to £500,

and cruise interruption up to £1,000

As we are not allowed to recommend company's on this site, so I won't do .

So I just INSURE myself AND GO on my hols ;):D

We have never used specific cruise insurance- just standard travel insurance. However, you do need to check it covers cruise travel, as some don't. Obviously we then take our chances, as there would be no compensation for circumstances such as missed ports.

Would an ordinary travel insurance policies cover you for at sea transfer to hospital in the event of a medical emergency e.g. if an air ambulance was required?

Upgrading a normal policy to cruise cover is well worth the price for peace of mind IMO.

The lack of a helipad does not stop them .

On our around U k cruise on the Spirit , I was awoken in the early

hours on our way up to Kirkwall by the sound of rotor blades of a helicopter.

They hovered above the ship and lifted an old guy who had took ill off the ship:cool:.

They do these airlifts off little fishing trawlers ,so I guess they are well rehearsed in

getting you off should the need arise:).

Would an ordinary travel insurance policies cover you for at sea transfer to hospital in the event of a medical emergency e.g. if an air ambulance was required?

Upgrading a normal policy to cruise cover is well worth the price for peace of mind IMO.

air evacuation's are usually covered by the coastguard/SAR from which ever coastal country you are nearest to,i would think the tranfer to shore would normally be free as you are in a maritime enviroment and come under what is basically an international reciprocal agreement for emergencies at sea, if they landed you to an ambulance waiting ashore that is when the bean counters would spring in to action.

<<air evacuation's are usually covered by the coastguard/SAR from which ever coastal country you are nearest to,i would think the tranfer to shore would normally be free as you are in a maritime enviroment and come under what is basically an international reciprocal agreement for emergencies at sea, if they landed you to an ambulance waiting ashore that is when the bean counters would spring in to action. >>

Thanks for the helpful information.

Edited by campolady