A couple of questions I should have asked while onboard.

Cruise_More_Often

On numerous HAL ships I have always been able to find a way to hear the announcements in my cabin - but methods vary. I just experiment. However, I also agree that sometimes it is just easier to open the door to the hall - IF I can get there in time.

One thing, it is my understanding (maybe someone else know more) on all of the ships there is an override that the Captain can use for emergency announcements. I have heard this happen on several cruises where there was a problem we needed to know about (like why the emergency alarm/announcement happened) and to let us know it was NOT a drill.

You're correct. In an emergency, the announcement goes out over in room speakers. If you are ever on the ship in port when they're doing emergency drills, you'll hear it.

On the first day of a cruise, I'll take a few minutes to write down all the channels & stations and keep it by the TV. Once I've found the TV channel number for the announcements (there's usually music being played on this channel and, as others have said, is usually viewing from the camera on the bow), I will utilize the remote control button that takes you to the previous channel. So, say, I know there'll be a morning announcement but I have the news on, I will turn to the announcement channel and then to the channel I want, so it will be a single click to hear the announcement when it comes on.

On the first day of a cruise, I'll take a few minutes to write down all the channels & stations and keep it by the TV. Once I've found the TV channel number for the announcements (there's usually music being played on this channel and, as others have said, is usually viewing from the camera on the bow), I will utilize the remote control button that takes you to the previous channel. So, say, I know there'll be a morning announcement but I have the news on, I will turn to the announcement channel and then to the channel I want, so it will be a single click to hear the announcement when it comes on.
Great idea. We'll do that on our next cruise, and if we can't find it, we'll ask.