Disney Newbie

newsier

Hello all,

Long time Royal Caribbean cruiser here getting ready to plan a Disney cruise with daughter's family and the grand kids.

I am not one to use a TA so I thought I would start here with questions.

Perhaps I am missing how to look for items on the Disney Cruise Line web site so, I have some questions maybe you folks could help with.......

On Royal - they have gone to nickel n' dimeing everyone for just about everything.

Is this a practice on Disney?

I noticed on the Disney web site there are exclusive adult dining venues, do they cost extra?

Are there any kind of drink packages such as soda or coffee or adult beverage?

Besides better stateroom amenities, what does a Concierge Class stateroom offer?

What else should I know, suggestions appreciated. We are looking at the Disney Fantasy in October 2016.

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Glenn

Hello all,

Long time Royal Caribbean cruiser here getting ready to plan a Disney cruise with daughter's family and the grand kids.

I am not one to use a TA so I thought I would start here with questions.

Perhaps I am missing how to look for items on the Disney Cruise Line web site so, I have some questions maybe you folks could help with.......

On Royal - they have gone to nickel n' dimeing everyone for just about everything. Not so much on DCL. But they're working on it.

Is this a practice on Disney?

I noticed on the Disney web site there are exclusive adult dining venues, do they cost extra? Yes - Palo $30 per person for brunch or dinner. Remy - not so sure, I think dinner is $75. Brunch - maybe $55?

Are there any kind of drink packages such as soda or coffee or adult beverage? There is a coffee card (in Cove Cafe) Buy 5 get the 6th free. No soda packages, but soda, water, milk, coffee, tea, hot chocolate are all available 24/7 from the drink stations located on the pool deck. All that is also included at meals. Sodas order from room service or from roving servers have a cost. No liquor packages, but beer mug token will get you a 22 oz drink for the cost of a 16 oz, and there are wine packages available.

Besides better stateroom amenities, what does a Concierge Class stateroom offer?

What else should I know, suggestions appreciated. We are looking at the Disney Fantasy in October 2016.

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Glenn

My responses in red.

I'll add to Shmoo's post that as Concierge you get a dedicated shoreside Concierge team that are able to make reservation changes, reserve shore excursions, dining rotations, dining requests for Palo and Remy in advance. You get priority boarding/disembarkation in PC (ONLY) as well as priority disembarkation in ports.

Onboard your Concierge team will also assist with any changes or additions you wish. On the Dream and Fantasy, also the Magic too soon, you have a dedicated Concierge lounge and deck area, with complementary alcoholic drinks during happy hours and snacks.

Private Character meet and greets and some exclusive Concierge goodies.

Also if you want one of the highly priced, but highly sought after CC cabana's, you are pretty much guaranteed to get one.

ex techie

That's funny, since I'm the opposite. After cruising DCL, looking at other lines' sites are so confusing. So many options!

Your cruise price includes all dining except Palo or Remy, and all drinks with the exceptions that Shmoo mentioned. The wine package is a set number of bottles from a specific list. They will cork one that is unfinished and it will find you the next night where ever you are dining. You can elect to drink the whole package in one evening, or any combination you wish. Your choice.

There will be a candy/ice cream shop that has separate costs. They are not installed on the ships yet, however. Perhaps someone here can say when that will occur.

There is the boutique where little girls can get princessed up. That cost ranges based on how much princessing you want - hair, makeup, costume, accessories, etc.

There is a spa that you can get a pass to use the facilities, or you can get services. The work out classes and gym are free.

The shows and movies are free. Popcorn and snacks at the shows cost extra.

Movies on the tv in the room are free.

Good coffee, sadly, is not free. (huge grumble there...)

I can't speak to concierge.

You can make reservations for the spa, Palo/Remy after you are PIF and your booking window opens (90 days out I think?)

("free" being a relative term. You admittedly paid for that "free" in your cruise fare!)

Edited by ljandgb

Pretty sure Remy is up to a whopping $85/pp now, and some people list their palo cost as "pending".

Not sure how relevant this is, but noticed there were quite a few cabins left on my upcoming sailing (various cats including a royal), 9/14 when the bookings ended today. I know it's off season but does seem to give lie to "DCL always sails full".

I found some of the above confusing, so will try to make it plain.

Many of us are getting irritated as DCL adds more nickel and dime stuff. What/where depends on which ship you choose.

Sodas/milk/hot chocolate/coffee/tea are available 24/7 at the beverage station and are at no charge in the dining rooms when open. These are sodas that are "fountain service." They are included in the cruise fare. If you opt for a CAN of soda or other beverage from a bar, room service, or roaming server, it is almost $3 per can. IF you are in concierge, cans are at no charge IN THE CONCIERGE LOUNGE. If it is not "happy hour," ask the concierge and you'll get it.

There are 2 "happy hours" per day in the lounge during which refreshments including alcohol, smoothies,specialty coffees, etc. are free. They are also free during concierge receptions/special events (generally character meet and greets)

What you are really buying with a concierge booking is space and service. The other issues--a lithograph, more toiletries, etc. are nice but certainly not worth the money. Service means that shoreside concierge should contact you about 125 days before cruising and get you any reservations that you want when they open at the 120 day mark. They also hold back some reservations until after boarding, but times will be more limited then. And if they tell you that you can book stuff yourself on line, tell them to do their job--you are paying a small fortune so you don't have to be on line at midnight to get what you want!

Previously, adult dining was about the only upcharge item on DCL. Now they are opening an ice cream/dessert place on the Dream that will charge! ALL the ships have a complimentary soft serve ice cream place, but it seems the new place will have various toppings, more choices in ice creams, etc. All of course "Disney themed" to attract kids. Currently, this is to be on the Dream only, but no doubt will expand to other ships if it brings in the money DCL anticipates. They have just increased the adult dining charges and eliminated the ability to bring unlimited alcohol on board--again, people are not happy about these changes.

There are 2 levels of wine packages available as well as the coffee card (above) and a beer mug deal where you buy the mug and thereafter get a large beer for the price of a medium. The wine plans can be viewed on the DCL web site and purchased in advance or on board.

LGandJB have some wrong info in their post. As a concierge cruiser, you can book at 120 days before embarkation. As a first time cruiser, your booking window would open at 75 days.

Obviously there are many charged services on the ship--shopping, photos, spa, sports simulator (Fantasy), Bippidy Boppidy Boutique, shopping, hair braiding....but I honestly see these as things one would expect to pay for rather than upcharge items. There are plenty of activities included in the cruise fare. ALL kid programming, age 3-17 is included (no after hours fees, activity fees, etc). Nursery (age 0-2) is $9 per hour, but those ages pay a very reduced cruise fare.

That's about all I can think of. You can get TONS of info by just doing a google search of you specific questions.

At this point, the choice of ship makes a great difference in what each has to offer. The basics are largely the same, but the fluff varies.

Moki, sorry to confuse the issue but your working makes it sound like the non-alcoholic refreshments in the concierge lounge such as speciality coffees are only available during happy hours, and i assume that can't be the case.

There is only a bar tender in the concierge lounge during the happy hours and special events. The concierge is happy to get you a can of soda or a bottle of water at any time. However, I've never read of or experienced getting alcohol, a smoothie, or other bar item other than those times. I have read of that lovely gold card getting people specialty coffee in the Cove Cafe on the Magic, but then, the Magic doesn't currently have a concierge lounge.

Sorry if my information is incomplete. Perhaps a more recent Fantasy cruiser can address current policy in the lounge. My recent cruises have all been "Magical."

Well, like I said, I can't speak to concierge. ;)

As for non-concierge, when you can book services and uncharged dining depends on your Castaway Club level - dates I can never quite keep in my head.

I wasn't trying to be critical...just to be sure that OP had the most correct and complete info that I was able to provide. Trust me, people correct me whenever I post something that is a bit off. Sometimes that's due to faulty memory, other times to DCL policy changes.

I wasn't trying to be critical...just to be sure that OP had the most correct and complete info that I was able to provide. Trust me' date=' people correct me whenever I post something that is a bit off. Sometimes that's due to faulty memory, other times to DCL policy changes.[/quote']

The truth be known Moki, you and Shmoo are almost always right on!

KK

No hard feelings. I honestly can't keep those dates straight - who gets to sign in and when.

:)

Schedule for excursion/check in window opening:

Concierge guests and Platinum Castaway Club members - 120 days out

Gold CC members - 105 days out

Silver CC members - 90 days out

First time cruisers - 75 days out.

moki'smom - Shmoo - ljn'gb - thanks sooo much for your help, answers, and guidance........

Angie and I are Diamond Plus members Royal Caribbean if that means anything to anyone here. We cruise a lot - and we are generally in suites, not trying to be a suite snob here but we are familiar with the concierge on Royal and they seem to be very simular on DCL.

One thing I did learn from my research and comparing Royal and DCL is Disney is not as expensive as I thought!! I was thinking DCL would be more expensive - not the case............as a matter of fact - tips are higher on Royal - but I never worried about price - space on a ship costs money. And those pay extra restaurant surcharges have gone from reasonable to stupid! LOL Sorry to digress........

With all this said - again thank you for your guidance; we look forward to our Disney cruise............you all have helped a lot!!!

Take care.......

g

No one can say Disney is Cheap, but you are right newser, sometimes Disney is the same or cheaper then the other lines. They don't nickel and dime near as much as lines. like Carnival and NCL.

Some folks like to keep preaching that DCL is the evil money grabbers, but most folk do their own studying and know that is not true.:rolleyes: They delivery a special cruise with the Disney Magic and Pixie dust no other line can.

Anyway.....enjoy your cruise and let us know how you did!:D

AKK

Edited by Tonka's Skipper

I like both lines for different reasons. I've sailed on Enchantment, Freedom and Oasis. The latter two have amazing pool areas that blow Disney away. Food is similar between the two lines. Remy is pretty equivalent to the Chef's Table on Royal and Palo is probably my favorite ship dining experience (though I love Cagney's on NCL also). In the last few years I feel like Disney has cut down on the amount of adult activities they offer which is why we have started to look elsewhere.

We have friends who are Diamond with Royal and gold with Disney. They sail in suites on Royal but won't pay for them on Disney because to them it's not worth the money. There are definitely not as many added perks on Disney.

Also, Disney's equivalent to C&A is nowhere near as good. I'm gold on Royal but probably save more money with my discounts than being platinum on Disney gets me.

• 6 months later...

Hi Glenn,

You may remember that we met in Indianapolis a couple of years ago when we thought we were both going to be on the Oasis TA.

We are also frequent cruisers, but we will be on our first Disney cruise starting this coming Friday (April 8). We are really looking forward to seeing how Disney does it. We are just doing a 5 night cruise from Miami to Grand Cayman. The reason for this cruise is just to be on Disney. And the Wonder because I wanted to see the original Animator's Palate before they "upgrade" it.

I intend to start a LIVE from Disney Wonder thread in a couple of days. Feel free to add comments or ask questions and I will try to get answers while I am on board. I will post a link to the LIVE thread on this thread after I create the LIVE thread.

I will also try to do some Periscope broadcasts when we are in range of cell towers (Miami, Grand Cayman, and maybe Castaway Cay). I haven't done Periscope before, so keep expectations low........ Information on the Periscope broadcasts will be on the LIVE thread.

I do plan to do the Castaway Cay 5 K run, make that walk.

Also, we will be in Indianapolis for a family wedding in June.

I hope we can meet up on a cruise sometime.

Gordon West