6 hr. Layover in Oslo ?

conchqn

If you do not have fast track you need to allow about 30 minutes for security and terminal walks can be as much as 15 minute to gate and you should be at the gate 30 minutes prior to flight time.

You should have at least 4 hours left for a quick trip to the center of the city.

The Express train Flytoget cost 190 NOK each way and runs every 10 minutes with 19 minute travel time.

You do have at least 3 NOR trains per hour that cost only 90 NOK or less and take just 23 minutes.

Just a walk up Karl Johan to the palace and back can be enjoyable, but you could fit in much more as well.

If I take a flight with a 6 hr. layover in Oslo, will I have time to leave the airport & see some sights ? Thanks for any input.

I think it depends on where you're flying.

If it's a connection to a domestic flight in Norway, I think that's definitely possible. I typically try to get to the airport about an hour before a domestic flight. If you're traveling during a peak travel time (right after work or the beginning of a public holiday period), the security queue can get quite long, and you may need an extra 30 minutes at least. Luckily you can check the estimated security wait times (and webcam) on the homepage of the airport website:

https://avinor.no/en/airport/oslo-airport/

If you're traveling to another Schengen country, I would give yourself at least an hour, just to be safe, but the international aspect doesn't add a significant overhead.

However, if you're flying to a non-Schengen country, you need to give yourself a lot more time. The queue for passport control at OSL is extremely hit or miss. Sometimes it's empty; sometimes it's enormous and can take almost 45 minutes. For non-Schengen flights, I typically leave downtown around 3 hours before my flight. That gives me some time to get to the station and wait for the next Flytoget (airport express train), and I usually arrive at the airport just over 2 hours before my flight.

That includes check-in time, though. A few of the airlines - British Airways, United, and a few others - can have long check-in queues. I've waited 30+ minutes sometimes. So if you're already checked in for the onward flight, you could probably aim for being at the airport 1½ hours before the flight and still have time for security and passport control.