$21,755 Arctic Cruise

cj_one2000

A story http://www.adn.com/article/20150913/arctic-coastal-communities-prepare-possibility-cruise-ship-emergency hit my local paper that there's a "historic" sailing; a 32-day Northwest Passage cruise that will make a stop at one or more Alaska communities, starting in Anchorage and ending in New York. The base fare though was $21,755 (whew) for the sailing that leaves August 16, 2016. The high end was quoted at $119,995, probably for a large suite. The sailing is with Crystal, and it got me thinking -- would Royal someday consider offering a similar itinerary? The sailing sold out in 3 weeks according to our paper, so it must be the historic sailing factor that got people to fork out $21K!

The things I thought wouldn't be in Royal's favor are the port stops are too rugged -- the Alaskan communities hardly have infrastructure beyond cargo ports so accommodating cruise passengers would be interesting, and balancing sea days with port days. It seems that the majority of Royal's itineraries, save transatlantic, don't go more than two, maybe three days without a port stop. The coastline of Alaska and the arctic route to New York would have large gaps of travel through areas, and to keep people happy and occupied for that long, without warm weather to use the pool areas, seems to me a recipe for boredom.

What do you think?

A story http://www.adn.com/article/20150913/arctic-coastal-communities-prepare-possibility-cruise-ship-emergency hit my local paper that there's a "historic" sailing; a 32-day Northwest Passage cruise that will make a stop at one or more Alaska communities, starting in Anchorage and ending in New York. The base fare though was $21,755 (whew) for the sailing that leaves August 16, 2016. The high end was quoted at $119,995, probably for a large suite. The sailing is with Crystal, and it got me thinking -- would Royal someday consider offering a similar itinerary? The sailing sold out in 3 weeks according to our paper, so it must be the historic sailing factor that got people to fork out $21K!

The things I thought wouldn't be in Royal's favor are the port stops are too rugged -- the Alaskan communities hardly have infrastructure beyond cargo ports so accommodating cruise passengers would be interesting, and balancing sea days with port days. It seems that the majority of Royal's itineraries, save transatlantic, don't go more than two, maybe three days without a port stop. The coastline of Alaska and the arctic route to New York would have large gaps of travel through areas, and to keep people happy and occupied for that long, without warm weather to use the pool areas, seems to me a recipe for boredom.

What do you think?

Sounds like something for Celebrity Expedition

Oh the lotto! We don't have that here in Alaska :( Guess I gotta make a trip to another state to get my lotto tickets :D

Maybe you'll get contacted by a Nigerian prince who will fix you up for life in exchange for helping him with his money problems like I did. In a few days when I get my check from him, I'll be able to afford this cruise!

The issue, besides price, is ship hull structure.

When Crystal decided on this project, it took two years of interacting with multiple organisations to map out the route ,in line with Crystal Serenity present single hull structure,

they also had to line up pilotage, availability of ice breakers in certain areas as the need may arise, port infrastructure ( as a previous poster correctly alluded to ) , etc.etc.etc...

They took a huge leap of faith and everyone is wishing them wwell.

As to RCL or CCL brands....I doubt either one would be willing to take one brand's vessel out of her regular deployment for a massive undertaking like that.

My opinion only

Cheers

Maybe you'll get contacted by a Nigerian prince who will fix you up for life in exchange for helping him with his money problems like I did. In a few days when I get my check from him, I'll be able to afford this cruise!

Oh yes, I forgot about him! He seems to know everyone personally though, too many claims on lost inheritance money so I don't know how much is left over for me [emoji6]

As to RCL or CCL brands....I doubt either one would be willing to take one brand's vessel out of her regular deployment for a massive undertaking like that.

My opinion only

Cheers

Fair enough, I think your opinion is spot on although it'd be fun to dream RCI would do something like this and come to my home state. I couldn't afford it either [emoji16]

It is very interesting to read the special webpage that Crystal had to create just for this sailing.

The competition at the high end of the cruise industry is actually very fierce at the moment and this is just a way for luxury line Crystal to maintain market share and keep the brand the center of attention in the crowded market.

The expense of planning and executing such a voyage will never make a voyage like this interesting for RCI.

This cruise will actually have a 'shadow' vessel following the ship and carrying a helicopter for emergency evacuations.

Proof of independent Travel Insurance with $50000 evacuation repatriation insurance is required for all passengers.

http://www.crystalcruises.com/ContentPage.aspx?ID=191

who in the hell wants to go on a cold as cruise through the northwest passage staring at ice for 3 weeks any paying 21,000 for it.

I can get a villa in Europe for 3 weeks, with airfare and good costs, for that price.

People who have already been there done that. I am guessing for people who can afford a cruise like this, they have already done the things most of us would think of as a great vacation. They are looking for something different, a place they haven't been/can't get to easily?

People who have already been there done that. I am guessing for people who can afford a cruise like this, they have already done the things most of us would think of as a great vacation. They are looking for something different, a place they haven't been/can't get to easily?

True point....

Bingo! There are so many beautiful places here in Alaska though, and visiting those small, unique communities before having to "stare at ice" is still exotic in a way. Too bad they didn't time it around Kodiak's crab festival or Seward's Mt. Marathon race.