First cruise

grifval5

Hi, This being our first cruise (12 nights on QE2 to Med), we would like to take in everything, including leaving Southampton. I have read on this Message Board somewhere, that as you leave they do a muster drill. Any info or tips how to prepare so that we can catch at least part of the heading off. Thanks.:)

Grifval.

Hi Sweep,

We are on the same cruise. We feel the same as you, it can't come quick enough, and we just know that we are going to have a brilliant time. We are staying in Winchester overnight on the 14th. Let's hope we meet up on board.

Valerie

That's great, Grifval. We live in Windsor so it won't take us long to travel down to Southampton on the Saturday morning. It's really exciting as you go over the dual carriageway in Southampton and see your ship waiting for you. Sometimes we have lunch in the John Lewis store and gaze out at the ship!

We have done a number of cruises now, mainly on P&O, but we did go on the QE2 in 1993. We are really looking forward to seeing how she has changed over the years.

Sweep

At Southampton, I would suggest doing a pub lunch at the GRAPES PUBLIC HOUSE, on Oxford Street, about a 5 minute walk from the Dolphin Hotel.

It is the pub where many of the TITANIC's crew members had their last land based meal and drinks, before shipping out. It's not a tourist trap, but a living piece of history, frequented by locals regularly.

Have a great holiday.

I have read on this Message Board somewhere, that as you leave they do a muster drill. Any info or tips how to prepare so that we can catch at least part of the heading off

Hi Grifval

We intend getting on the ship fairly early. We always have a quick look at our cabin then go to the restaurant to check our table, go and book our selected tours, rush off to the beauty salon to book hairdressing appointments for the gala nights and then have a look round the ship - making sure we include any afternoon snacks that are laid on. This routine makes sure we have a good choice of all these things as they do get booked up/ have long queues if you leave it until everyone is on board. Generally speaking there is quite a lot of time to watch the ship leaving before you have to do lifeboat drill. This really doesn't take too long and doesn't interfere with watching the ship sail out.

Sweep

I see from the other thread that all is well with your booking. I am so pleased for you. It is horrible when things like that happen. You pay your money in good faith that it will all be pased through to the shipping company and then something like that happens. I get information from Cruise Control but will be careful not to book anything with them. We generally use Bolsover or 1st 4 cruising.

At least you can now get on with your packing and all your other preparations!;)

See you soon!

Sweep

There does not seem to be a roll call for our cruise, grifval. Do you think we are the only ones going? Do you know how to start a roll call?

Wonder what we'll be doing at this time in two weeks????

Sweep

Hi Sweep,

I have been thinking the same thing that not many are talking about going on this cruise. I have also noticed that one cruise TA is still advertising places on this QE2 Med cruise. I am sure whether it is booked out or not we will have a great time. Umm! this time in 2 weeks, I am hoping I am having my favourite meal (Mauretania - late sitting), and looking forward to whatever the rest of the evening holds. then a relaxing hot toddy, and off to retire ready for another wonderful day. What do you think?

Grifval.

Generally speaking there is quite a lot of time to watch the ship leaving before you have to do lifeboat drill. This really doesn't take too long and doesn't interfere with watching the ship sail out.

Sweep

In fact lifeboat drill takes place before you sail.

David.

Hi you lucky people QE2 bound!

Its been a few years since we were on QE2 but they used to operate a sun-lounger reservation scheme. This was on the top deck right behind the funnel. Once onboard if you went up there saw the attendant and paid a nominal fee, this would reserve your lounger for the entire trip and whilst up there the attendants would really look after you.

So dont know if they still do this but if so it's well worth the cost, but do it straight away, limited places.

Have a great time and look forward to hearing about it later.

Thanks Ken but it doesn't look as if we shall have much opportunity for sunbathing on this cruise! The weather forecast doesn't look that great.

I would be interested in finding out, though, whether you still have to book sunbeds. I have a vague recollection of someone saying you don't have to do that anymore.

How is your packing going grifval? I am in panic mode here as I haven't started and have got so much work to get through before Saturday. I shall probably have to stay up all Friday night to get everything done.

Do you have a long journey down to Southampton? I think the weather this weekend will be sunny but not that warm. Still it will be pleasant to be out on deck to watch the ship sailing out.

Can't wait!

Sweep

(Gwenda)

Hi Sweep,

The excitement is now disturbing my sleep! I have nearly packed, but taking FAR TOO MUCH. My excuse is I have packed for every eventuality. I think we are going to get changeable weather.

We are travelling from Southport, NorthWest, on Friday and staying overnight just north of Winchester. We then have to go to Romsey, to pick up friends where we are leaving our car, and they are driving us to the Docks.

I thought I had read that there is no saving of deckchairs now?

Sorry to hear you are behind with everything. You will really appreciate this cruise if you get overtired. ONLY DAYS TO GO, still can't wait.

Grifval

The deck chairs are still up there and also spread across the open aft decks but no reservation anymore. First come / first served.

The area aft of the funnel is a really nice sheltered sun trap. I remember lazing around up there and being startled by the double sonic boom of Concorde flying over head mid altantic on more than one occassion.

Ah memories.

In September the old saggy bottommed deck chairs on the sun deck had been replaced with plastic sun beds. Still teak tables and chairs by the bar. Lots of teak liner chairs complete with foot rests and nice blue cushions round the promenade deck - many of them new or refurbished.

Archived