Do you carry a wallet or purse onboard?

friendlybrown

Thank you so much!

Actually, I didn't research TV sitcoms about cruises. It just so happens that I watch a lot of reruns on TV Land, Decades, Antenna TV, TBS, Pop, MeTV, etc., and whenever there's an episode about cruising, I pay careful attention, because something is always contrary to real life.

I'm really surprised about "The Love Boat" and its many inaccuracies. In addition to Julie having so many jobs to do, in a number of episodes, passengers did not need ID and proof of their citizenship of whatever country they came from. That's how John Ritter's character was able to run onto the ship at the last minute (he didn't have a reservation) and steal someone's suitcase full of dresses (which happened to fit him perfectly) and pass himself off as a woman. (The woman from whom he stole the suitcase never noticed that her suitcase just disappeared.)

In another episode, a man booked a cruise for himself and his mistress. I guess he listed them as Mr. and Mrs. John Smith, as opposed to John and Jane Smith, because when his wife found out about the cruise reservation, he had to pretend that it was a surprise for her, and he took her and not his mistress. The wife and the mistress did not have the same name.

In another episode, Captain Stubing was looking for a passenger that he fell in love with, but the reservations people didn't have her address, because she had paid in cash. Even if people pay in cash, their addresses should be known.

This bothered me the most - there was an episode in which it was shown that the cabin door could be locked from the inside, meaning that anyone in the cabin who didn't have a key could not get out. A woman locked herself and Gopher in her cabin, and he couldn't get out. I guess it was supposed to be funny, but I thought it was scary. And stupid.

Something else that was scary - on a number of episodes, underage teenagers were allowed to sail all by themselves. That would never happen.

Well, times have changed since we first started cruising. We did not need a passport if you were a US citizen, although we did need government ID. Everyone got a booklet that named everyone, their cabin and their hometown. Cabins on the Love Boat were small. Those crew quarters, by themselves, is a joke. Our cabin for 4 wasn't that big. The M'D, his cabin was really small as well. Yes, I was in it. People could walk up to the pier at the last moment and board. Guests were always welcome until Bon Voyage time. Then the announcements that everyone must get off. Since our cruise card was made of paper it was not hard to duplicate if you wanted. Since they didn't use a computer anyone could sneak on.

Kids barely sailed let alone by themselves. The price of cruising back then is about the same dollar amount as it is now only back then $1000 was a LOT of money. On a ship with 600 passengers and very little entertainment by today's standards you entertained yourself by meeting and enjoying your fellow passengers. My DD was 7 YO and there was nothing for kids to do except learn to fold napkins, be put on a dolly and raced down the hallways (yes, I told her no - they begged to let them play with her). The advantage was that since there were so few kids the staff treated her/them like gold.

About the only thing accurate about the love boat is the stair/entry way and the pool deck. Everyone used actual keys.

I met a man on an Alaskan cruise once. He was very excited. It was his family's first cruise and he was a director or producer that had done some Love Boat episodes.

I once asked a M'D about the show. He said if Julie did 99% of what she did on the show on the ship - the entire staff would walk out. H*ll would freeze over before the cruise director would seat someone in the restaurant. Can you imagine the crew needing an apartment in town because they got every weekend off? All the crew members sightseeing at every port as off time. I mean, when did these people work?

TV and the movies - not accurate.

Edited by notentirelynormal

No. And I can't imagine why anyone would carry more than a handful of singles if they did carry cash. I also put my jewelry in my bank safe before I leave home and wear a few inexpensive rings.

If you are not a troll, I think you need a new idea for your book.

No. And I can't imagine why anyone would carry more than a handful of singles if they did carry cash. I also put my jewelry in my bank safe before I leave home and wear a few inexpensive rings.

If you are not a troll, I think you need a new idea for your book.

I don't know about that, I just read on a tipping thread where someone said they take a few hundred dollars in singles.

A year ago this past spring, I think, on Princess the DR. from the Love Boat was on. He spoke to us one night. They actually filmed 6 weeks, in the summer, on the ship. I've forgotten which ship but it was the same ship each year.

What fun to be on that ship when they were filming the TV show!

We're off today, driving to port Canaveral. We are getting on the Sunshine, 8 days, tomorrow. When we get back to port, we'll walk over to the Freedom and get on her. (Yes, we are cruise-a-holics!) We'll leave in about an hour, 6:30. It's a 10 hour drive and le leave our car at the hotel for free, free shuttle to the port.

I don't know about that, I just read on a tipping thread where someone said they take a few hundred dollars in singles.

But do they carry all their money around or leave most in safe and just take what they might need that day?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

A year ago this past spring, I think, on Princess the DR. from the Love Boat was on. He spoke to us one night. They actually filmed 6 weeks, in the summer, on the ship. I've forgotten which ship but it was the same ship each year.

We're off today, driving to port Canaveral. We are getting on the Sunshine, 8 days, tomorrow. When we get back to port, we'll walk over to the Freedom and get on her. (Yes, we are cruise-a-holics!) We'll leave in about an hour, 6:30. It's a 10 hour drive and le leave our car at the hotel for free, free shuttle to the port.

It was the Pcific Princess.

Have fun I know you will. May I ask what Motel or Hotel you use? Thanks, Karen :)