Shortened port time - Riviera

Baz-t

Let's hope it works out for you. SPV is different from Eze (location) but equally charming.

Paul, the excursion to SPV is listed as 4 1/2 hours long (but the time frame listed is only 4 hours - 2pm to 6 pm). Is that enough time?

My original though had been to take the excursion then go back on our own on using public transportation. But, dang it, it's an afternoon tour, so that won't work. We hate guided tours and my thought is, what is there to "guide" someone through in a place like SPV? So perhaps it would end up being an "untour" tour. :) Do you think my impression that everyone would be on a somewhat loose rein there is correct?

Edited by buggins0402

SPV is the kind of place that i would use O's bus ride to get there and then ask where the bus/guide will meet and when.

We've often done this with O; it is an expensive way to get where we want to diy, but then again, we're already spending thousand$ so a little more doesn't matter.

Train strike was occurring in Italy, so we used an O excursion to Lucca and then did our own thing and met back with group. Worked great!

SPV is definitely a diy and is gorgeous.

SPV is the kind of place that i would use O's bus ride to get there and then ask where the bus/guide will meet and when.

We've often done this with O; it is an expensive way to get where we want to diy, but then again, we're already spending thousand$ so a little more doesn't matter.

Train strike was occurring in Italy, so we used an O excursion to Lucca and then did our own thing and met back with group. Worked great!

SPV is definitely a diy and is gorgeous.

LOL! Planning on using one of the other excursion "trump cards" for transportation to Lucca...I guess if there is a train strike we'll use it for transportation back. Planning the same thing for Aix - use them to get there, then bus or train back.

Good to know that we can just ask when and where to meet back if we decide to use them as transportation both ways (or to wave them goodbye if we decide to stay longer and get back on our own).

Do you think the 4 hours tour length is enough time to see it adequately? I know for Eze it would be, but then that town is a heck of a lot closer to MC than SPV.

What Paul says!!!

We first visited SPV in the mid-90s and I thought it was wonderful with all sorts of cute shops selling a wide variety of things & neat little cafes.

We were there a couple of years ago and our kid was there with family last summer and we both thought that many of the shops were showing the same things but that the neat little cafes were still there.

That said, 2 hrs will give you enough time to see SPV. Make sure you go all the way to the cemetery and then through it to look out over the wall into the countryside.....gorgeous. Plus the cemetery is very cool.

Make sure you go all the way to the cemetery and then through it to look out over the wall into the countryside.....gorgeous. Plus the cemetery is very cool.

18733967.jpg

That Cemetary is an amazing place, and Marc Chagall is buried there.....how cool is that?

Well, not for him. ;)

Chagall-Bride-and-Groom-on-Cock.jpgmarc-chagall-soldiers.jpg

Hey, we've all got to go sometime and at least Marc Chagall is in a very cool place as opposed to some other places he could be.

(I actually had put something else in there instead of "other places" but figured I'd just end up infuriating someone....)

Last time we were at the cemetery several families were there cleaning stones, sweeping, putting out some fresh flowers and little kids were running around....pretty awesome.

One lady was kinda singing under her breath and sweeping like mad. Don't know if she'd picked the song to match her sweeping tempo or vice versa!

Very pretty cemetery and views. It appears that Marc Chagall has nicer digs than Jim Morrison has in Pere Lachaise.

We do enjoy strolling through interesting cemeteries, particularly those with famous residents. In fact our home library has a copy of the book Tombstone Tourist ( a gift from someone that knew our quirky habit of visiting cemeteries when we travel).:D

Edited by buggins0402