Carnival Pride Fire Incident

jas1178

At approximately 1:15am this morning, the Carnival Pride experienced a mechanical failure of one of its diesel generators which triggered the automated fire suppression system. CCTV footage has confirmed that there was not an actual fire, only smoke. At no time did the ship lose power and the vessel is currently continuing on its itinerary which involves a seven-day cruise from Baltimore that departed Sunday. The ship is currently in Half Moon Cay in the Bahamas for its regularly scheduled port visit there. There were no injuries to guests or crew and all safety, hotel and other operational systems are fully functional.

Sounds minor, but terrible timing for Carnival.

My experience bringing new folks to cruising is that they are unaware of these prior incidents (except Triumph) and those who have a few cruises under their belts understand that stuff happens.

I would hate to be on clean up duty in the engine room today!

You have to love the Cruise Law News guy! Always first with incorrect news.

First, how does a passenger know engine 1 in the engine room? (Which turned out to be a generator.)

Second, an explosion of an engine (Really? Again, a generator - smoke, no fire.)

Third, a fireman? Where did he come from in the middle of the ocean? (Probably a crew member checking it out.)

If I want a laugh, I know I can always go to this website and read up. This lawyer is always after cruiselines (seems like he loves to attack Carnival) and really embellishes the stories.

My only two aft cabins have been on Spirit-class ships (Miracle 4230 and Pride 4232).

On Pride (5/3/14), while we were in port, they were doing drills. And entire brigade of guys in full fire gear were in my aft hallway.

So, yes, seeing "a fireman" wouldn't be a surprise.

BTW, on Miracle (Dec 2009), we were returning to our cabin one day and you could definitely smell something that most definitely smelled like an electrical fire. We turned the corner and there were 3 guys in fire gear in front of that electrical box (next to the laundry room). It was a bit unnerving.

Nothing posted about it anywhere. I imagine no other passengers on the ship had seen a thing and I certainly didn't run to the computer and sign up for an internet plan so I could broadcast to the world how there was a FIRE!!! on the ship. :rolleyes:

Personally not going to worry about any of this stuff. If something happens on one of my upcoming sailings, THEN I'll worry about it. Just like everything else, there's absolutely no point in worrying about things that have a very tiny chance of actually happening and of which you have absolutely no control.

I'm leaving on the Pride this Sunday.

I almost miss the days when you DIDN'T hear about every little blip and hiccup and issue. Ignorance is bliss.

I'm a worrier by nature so to read about an EXPLOSION of an engine of the Pride freaked me out. But then I told myself to consider the source and wait for confirmation.

90% of the people going on the cruise with me will have no idea there was anything even amiss. But STUPID ME has to keep up on things. I have only myself to blame.

:rolleyes:

I'm leaving on the Pride this Sunday.

I almost miss the days when you DIDN'T hear about every little blip and hiccup and issue. Ignorance is bliss.

I'm a worrier by nature so to read about an EXPLOSION of an engine of the Pride freaked me out. But then I told myself to consider the source and wait for confirmation.

90% of the people going on the cruise with me will have no idea there was anything even amiss. But STUPID ME has to keep up on things. I have only myself to blame.

:rolleyes:

You and me both! we leave next Sunday (27th) between the Green Slide, the pools, the change of menu, and now this! I'll be keeping this latest news away from the folks going with us.

You and me both! we leave next Sunday (27th) between the Green Slide, the pools, the change of menu, and now this! I'll be keeping this latest news away from the folks going with us.

Yup! I kept all of this to myself (and you kind folks here). My DH and my folks are sleeping like babies. They owe me.

You have to love the Cruise Law News guy! Always first with incorrect news.

First, how does a passenger know engine 1 in the engine room? (Which turned out to be a generator.)

Second, an explosion of an engine (Really? Again, a generator - smoke, no fire.)

Third, a fireman? Where did he come from in the middle of the ocean? (Probably a crew member checking it out.)

If I want a laugh, I know I can always go to this website and read up. This lawyer is always after cruiselines (seems like he loves to attack Carnival) and really embellishes the stories.

A lady that was on the Pride posted that they were awakened between 1:00-1:30 am by an alpha call for zone 2. She went out on her balcony and saw a lot of black smoke and heard loud noises. (She did not say she say fire.). She said later the captain came on and told the passengers that there had been an engine fire, but everything was fine and there were no injuries to passengers or crew. The fire suppression system had been activated. The captain then told them they would be an hour late getting to Half Moon Cay. It seems later they reviewed tapes and determined that there was not any fire, just smoke. it is good to know the fire suppression works well even if there are no flames.

Edited by kteachcruiser52

Oh, a menu change? Sailing Oct. 1 and I don't care for the American Table at all. When is the change coming?

Was away from social media today, but seeing mention of the activation of the fire suppression system on the Carnival Pride today. Not seeing any details of cruise critic...did you see it?

Tweet from CCL

Not only was there a thread, there was a post from a CCL representative with a press release. I guess too many people doubted the original poster.