Hotel for 5 within hour of Long Beach?

uprivermama

We're looking at a Carnival Mexican Riviera cruise in July. We will be driving from Washington, and will need a hotel for one night pre-cruise. We have 5 adult-size people in our party. Can anyone recommend a hotel within an hour of the port? We'll park at the port (DH doesn't care about the cost--says we'll be saving by driving vs flying so he's fine with the cost of port parking), so I don't need a park-n-cruise package.

My thinking is that perhaps by staying a little outside the Long Beach area, we'll have some better options, especially for a Residence Inn-type room.

City fire codes usually limit occupancy to 4. From what I understand, most hotels take a "dont ask/ dont tell" stance with this. A family with 3 children is one thing...with 5 adults and two beds, you will have to figure out sleeping arrangements. The hotel won't violate fire codes by providing a rollaway, and will not provide an extra set of linens and towels. Perhaps the 5th person brings a sleeping bag and towels, and a reduced share of the room cost?

One of the "suites" type of hotels might have a higher limit if their city allows it. If not, call and talk to the manager at the specific property...they will let you know how they will handle your "violation".

There's literally dozens of hotels fitting your criteria...I'd personally get as close to the port as possible and avoid traffic worries in the morning. What route are you using to enter the LA area? We can recommend which general areas to look at, and which to avoid.

Edited by kenish

City fire codes usually limit occupancy to 4. From what I understand, most hotels take a "dont ask/ dont tell" stance with this. A family with 3 children is one thing...with 5 adults and two beds, you will have to figure out sleeping arrangements. The hotel won't violate fire codes by providing a rollaway, and will not provide an extra set of linens and towels. Perhaps the 5th person brings a sleeping bag and towels, and a reduced share of the room cost?

One of the "suites" type of hotels might have a higher limit if their city allows it. If not, call and talk to the manager at the specific property...they will let you know how they will handle your "violation".

There's literally dozens of hotels fitting your criteria...I'd personally get as close to the port as possible and avoid traffic worries in the morning. What route are you using to enter the LA area? We can recommend which general areas to look at, and which to avoid.

We are definitely looking for a "suite" type hotel--Residence Inns and Embassy Suites have both been good bets for us in the past. They usually accept 5-6 people in the room. We are 5 adult-size people--but only two of us are actually adults, the remaining 3 are teenagers.

Our route will take us south on I5 and then I405 to I710. Don't need nightlife or fancy amenities, just a decent family restaurant (Chilis, Red Robin, etc) within 10 minutes.

Edited by uprivermama
route description

Have you looked up the locations of either those?

Embassy Suites in Valencia, right off the 5, just above the 405 interchange. An hour from port if you leave after rush hour.

There's a Residence Inn in Long Beach.

Edited by SadieN

We are definitely looking for a "suite" type hotel--Residence Inns and Embassy Suites have both been good bets for us in the past. They usually accept 5-6 people in the room. We are 5 adult-size people--but only two of us are actually adults, the remaining 3 are teenagers.

Our route will take us south on I5 and then I405 to I710. Don't need nightlife or fancy amenities, just a decent family restaurant (Chilis, Red Robin, etc) within 10 minutes.

I'd look at the areas others have recommended...also Manhattan Beach, Redondo Beach, and Torrance. Those cities are part of the LA suburban sprawl with the usual strip centers, malls, and chain restaurants. But the beach areas are nice and the area (called South Bay) is 10 miles from San Pedro cruise port. If the property states 4 people maximum, definitely contact the manager and discuss your situation. They may be fine with it; OTOH if their fire department is strict they may be unwilling to make an exception.