Enhanced sail away party coming soon according to John Heald

Ralphinsc

I saw this come across his Facebook page this morning. Any guesses as to what that might entail. He said they were going to make a "huge investment" in it and "make it what it used to be". Should be fleetwide within the next five months.

Anyone care to venture a guess as to what the details will be or what you hope to see either come back or begin with this?

Or is this going to be a big fluff of hot air and more bark than bite?

I'm personally optimistic but don't have much to compare it to since my next cruise will be my first on Carnival. I've never seen a sail away party to write home about.

I am also very curious. My first cruise was in 1993 on Royal Caribbean and they had photographers everywhere taking candid pictures and they gave out those packs of twirly paper streamers to throw. They were supposed to be environmentally friendly. Most of them stayed on the Lido deck. Maybe they will be doing something like that. It really was a lot of fun and I remember it vividly to this day.

Sail away was big deal. Now for me it is very boring.

Edited by Boozebabe

All I care about is the calypso bands. Bring those back and everything else is gravy.

Why would I want a Calypso band on my New England, Alaska, or West Coast cruises? And who would you be throwing streamers at on shore, the stevedores and the parking attendants. I'm trying to think when was the last time anyone came to see us off on our cruise....still thinking.......nothing yet.

By the time a ship sails I'm exhausted from the day....a cool drink, a lounger in the shade, some peace and quiet, and I'm good to go.

Why would I want a Calypso band on my New England, Alaska, or West Coast cruises? And who would you be throwing streamers at on shore, the stevedores and the parking attendants. I'm trying to think when was the last time anyone came to see us off on our cruise....still thinking.......nothing yet.

By the time a ship sails I'm exhausted from the day....a cool drink, a lounger in the shade, some peace and quiet, and I'm good to go.

We also find the steel drum music outside the Long Beach Dome to be a very odd choice.

Any chance of implementation by 9/26? A complimentary drink would be nice. Don't care to throw streamers. I love the line dancing even though I'm a horrible dancer.

I asked John for the same thing on his facebook page but did not hear back. :mad:

I'm excited to see the return of a big sail away party. I took a really long break between cruises, and my last one was my husband's first cruise. I dragged him up to Lido after muster drill expecting there to be a big party like there always used to be...and found nothing. We just got some fruity drinks and headed to Serenity to watch from the back of the ship. Nice, but not what I was used to from past cruises.

I'm excited to see the return of a big sail away party. I took a really long break between cruises, and my last one was my husband's first cruise. I dragged him up to Lido after muster drill expecting there to be a big party like there always used to be...and found nothing. We just got some fruity drinks and headed to Serenity to watch from the back of the ship. Nice, but not what I was used to from past cruises.

What was it like before?

The cruises I was on in the past had live music during sail away, very involved entertainment staff going around making sure the party kept going, bar staff actively going around with the fun ship special trays (not free, but circulating heavily), and most importantly, lots of other cruisers up there partying together. When they aren't making a big deal out of sail away, people aren't up there, they were everywhere else on the ship-there were even lots of open loungers by all the pools. There wasn't the excitement of getting on our way, just muster drill is over, lets go unpack and get settled in (which I heard some say as they were exiting the muster drill). Just really disappointing.

I saw this come across his Facebook page this morning. Any guesses as to what that might entail. He said they were going to make a "huge investment" in it and "make it what it used to be". Should be fleetwide within the next five months.

Anyone care to venture a guess as to what the details will be or what you hope to see either come back or begin with this?

Or is this going to be a big fluff of hot air and more bark than bite?

I'm personally optimistic but don't have much to compare it to since my next cruise will be my first on Carnival. I've never seen a sail away party to write home about.

Kinda sad, but it sounds like they're putting back something that was once there, and will probably be replaced with something inferior. Sail away used to be a spectacular event, and took such a tumble, the past couple of sailings instant even aware we were pulling away, due to the lack of fanfare.

I'll hold my breath on this one.

:eek: Having read other threads about cut backs, I seriously doubt it will be anything good:mad:

if they have a resident band on board what's wrong with getting them to play at sail away:confused:

by what I've read so far I'm not really looking forward to our cruise anymore:(

Wullie