Christmas Cruise

chechas

We are going on our first Xmas cruise this year on the Sunshine, Dec 19,2015. Beyond excited!! I am going with my 20 year old daughter. We usually do Disney World for Christmas since we live in Florida but wanted to do something different this year (though we are doing 3 days at Disney before heading to Port Canaveral and the ship).

Any tips for cruising this time of year? I have been on many cruises but usually earlier in the year, never in winter and never during a holiday. I believe the ship is decorated? IS it ok to bring a small wreath for the door? Any special holiday programs/activities/events on board? I even started a Facebook group today for this trip because my trip earlier this year on Legend out of Hawaii was even better thanks to all the folks on a Facebook group I joined.

My parents live in Florida and we cruise B2B for Christmas every year. Most of our trips are out of Port Canaveral to minimize drive time.

The ship is decorated, but not enough in my opinion. Nor is there enough Christmas festivities in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, we enjoy Carnival and I am not bashing them, but we have had more "Christmasy" cruises on HAL.

The crew will usually self organize some kind if Christmas Eve service. Once there was a bible reading on the small landing above the atrium bar. This was the only time in my life I sat at a bar, and had a drink for the Christmas service! Gotta love that!

I haven't done the Sunshine for Christmas but I have done 4 other Carnival cruises during Christmas time.

Yes the ship is decorated. I think very nicely and tastefully. There is usually a giant tree in the atrium, a gingerbread village in either the atrium or on the promenade, and garland around the railings of each level overlooking the atrium. I do believe there are other Christmasy decorations around the ship, but i can't remember what specifically.

The other poster said that there weren't enough Christmas decorations for her. But, you have to remember that not everybody on the ship celebrates Christmas. I do remember two giant menorahs on both sides of the giant tree in the atrium. I don't recall seeing much of any other religious celebratory pieces around.

Yes, it is more than ok to bring a small wreath for your door. Decorate your door as much as you like!

If you'd like to participate, there was also an all denominational mass held in different event rooms (Auditorium, Karaoke lounge, dining room), on all of my Christmas cruises.

This came directly from John Heald's "social media" page last week.

The ships will be decorated.

I've cruised Christmas in the past, as recent as 2012.

I agree that the decorations are lackluster.

However, if you read this post it says that for the first time Carnival will be using professional decorators and the ships will be more "Christmasy" than ever!

We cruise the Breeze on December 5th and are excited.

We have a large "social media" group going and are even planning an Ugly Christmas Sweater party.

Decorate your door to the NINES!

59vtz7.png

Edited by surfjock27

We will be on this cruise as well with our 16yo son and super excited to read that they have amped up the decorations this year. We've never been away for Xmas so this a big first for us! I managed to convince my husband and son to tack on / days in Disney once we get back to port yay!! That's also a first for us!

If you can post a link to the FB group ...would love to join along. I've already started packing!!

Christmas is not a holiday for everyone who cruises in late December. We have cruised during the holidays because of fewer vacation days needed due to holiday days off. Nice perk, but way too many kids on the ships for us. Retirement now allows us to cruise anytime and avoid the holidays.

• 1 month later...

We always cruise the week after Christmas, way less kids running around unsupervised and just less chaotic plus DS (12) insists on Christmas at home. There are typically decorations still up when we go and I think they do a tasteful job of it but not over the top as not everyone celebrates Christmas as we are all aware. Bring a small collapsible tree, mini lights to decorate room and a wreath on the door, will be very festive. I believe most of the ships do a gathering where everyone sings Christmas songs and gets into the holiday spirit.

If you have never cruised in winter months keep in mind that the time change and the time of year shortens your days by getting dark much earlier than you would experience other times of the year. So less to do on deck as it gets darker and colder in evenings as well.

The days are usually perfect weather for excursions and walking around, last New Years week in Mexico and Belize were in low 80's and not humid at all, perfect. So if you are heading south of Florida the weather should be good.

It will be a good time I am sure!