Using iPhone/Verizon for txt and emails while at sea

FliLady

I was on the Breeze in July and purchased an 'internet' pkg and the service was so slow. Also, I was unable to text on my device. Going on Breeze next week and i would like to be able to text/email while at sea or in port. Do I need to call Verizon or get wifi on the ship? Can anyone share their experience? Thank you!

Verizon has a international plan for $40 per line that works on the ship. no extra charges from carnival for using the ships cell tower. its included in Verizon international plan. 100 talk minutes, 100 sent texts and free unlimited received. 100 MB data. They also have for $80, 250 minutes, 250 texts, unlimited recieved texts and 250 MB data.

Ships middle internet package for $60 for entire cruise if your taking a 6 day or longer cruise gives you unlimited internet and email but you cannot stream video or music. WiFi enabled text apps and Facebook messenger even that you can get on the basic social media package i hear works great on the ship. up to you what you want to spend but i'd go ships WiFi. then its unlimited.

I forgot to mention if you get Verizon's international plan, turn off data on your phone when your not checking email or sending emails your phones apps will drain that 100MM data limit in no time flat. apps like weather apps, email updating or checking for new emails. Lots of apps use data in the background constantly as they update constantly all day long and it adds up quickly. Depending on your phones apps you can go through 100MB in half a day or 1 day. you will still get texts and phones calls but not picture texts or be able to send picture texts (multimedia texts) untill you turn on data. most picture text messeges are about 3-4 MB and if you have an app like Shrink it. you can reduce the resolution of pictures to 1024x768 or 800x600 and make the file size even smaller like 500-700kb and you'll be able to send LOTS of picture texts with that 100MB limit.

But Facebook messenger you can send unlimited pictures, video, video calls, and calls through Ships social media package price. everyone says there is a slight delay like 1-3 seconds with Facebook messenger calls and video calls but people says you can work around it easily.

I forgot to mention if you get Verizon's international plan, turn off data on your phone when your not checking email or sending emails your phones apps will drain that 100MM data limit in no time flat. apps like weather apps, email updating or checking for new emails. Lots of apps use data in the background constantly as they update constantly all day long and it adds up quickly. Depending on your phones apps you can go through 100MB in half a day or 1 day. you will still get texts and phones calls but not picture texts or be able to send picture texts (multimedia texts) untill you turn on data. most picture text messeges are about 3-4 MB and if you have an app like Shrink it. you can reduce the resolution of pictures to 1024x768 or 800x600 and make the file size even smaller like 500-700kb and you'll be able to send LOTS of picture texts with that 100MB limit.

But Facebook messenger you can send unlimited pictures, video, video calls, and calls through Ships social media package price. everyone says there is a slight delay like 1-3 seconds with Facebook messenger calls and video calls but people says you can work around it easily.

Does anyone know if you can do phone calls with WHATSAPP using the social plan? Or the value plan?