Question about luggage on return leg of fly cruise

KarenandPaul

We are going on a Caribbean fly cruise at Christmas It will be our first cruise and have a question about our suitcases.

I understand that once we checked them in at Gatwick the next time we will see them will be outside our cabin when we join the the ship .. And I've read that you leave the cases outside the cabin the night before departure But what happens when you get to the airport? Is there a secure collection point and you collect your luggage before customs or are they loaded on the plane by P&O and you collect them at return airport

I have booked the farewell to Barbados trip on the last day and I want to know if can put our travelling home clothes in our big cases to change at the airport or need to keep them with us in our hand luggage. Thank you

You are correct that you check them in at the UK airport. The next timeyou will see them is sometime that day after you board in the Caribbean. Very unlikely they will be there when you arrive but both of ours have always turned up by 7.30 that evening. They won't necessarily arrive together.

Going back, you leave your suitcases outside your cabin the night before. Detailed instructions and lables will be provided but you can usually leave the last one fairly late. The next time you will see your cases will be very early at your UK airport so your going home clothes have to be in your hand luggage. I always leave a really thick jumper (or 3) in the car to warm up.

Its a brilliant system really.

Edited by chrisg1uk
terrible spelling

Hi KarenandPaul,

We're also in the caribbean at xmas/new year on Britannia. Not sure which ship you will be on but xmas is lovely there. You'll really enjoy it.

You put your cases in at the airport and you don't see them again until you're on the ship. When you arrive in Barbados, you get off the plane and straight onto a bus. No going through customs or even through the airport.

The evening before you leave, your cases are collected from outside your cabin and you won't see them again until you arrive at your home airport - in your case Gatwick. So make sure that you keep anything you will need for the return journey with you and not packed in your big cases.

When you get to the airport coming home, its straight past the large queue and straight through. So easy.

You will do immigration sometime on the ship - usually quite early one morning, and they use one of the dining rooms for this. Never had to queue long as they give you a time to turn up.

Charter flights are great for not having to man handle your luggage when you arrive and depart. Makes for a much more relaxing trip IMHO.

Have a great cruise - I'm sure you will.

Thank you for your answers

Sounds like a hassle free system No queues and no dragging big cases about. I will keep our travel clothes and a couple of boxes of Pringles ( always get hungry on return long haul flights [emoji6]) in our hand luggage.

I also leave a warm fleece and a pair of thick socks in the car for the return journey !

We are on the Azura flying out xmas day Can't wait

When you put your bags outside the night before departure, you have to keep your toiletries with you. If you don't see your bags till you arrive in the UK, and you can't put the liquids, toothpaste, and other cosmetics in your hand luggage, what do you do with them? We usually transfer them into the hold luggage at the airport.

When you put your bags outside the night before departure, you have to keep your toiletries with you. If you don't see your bags till you arrive in the UK, and you can't put the liquids, toothpaste, and other cosmetics in your hand luggage, what do you do with them? We usually transfer them into the hold luggage at the airport.

I go with a disposible raser, a disposable toothbrush and leave whatevers whats left of the toothpaste and stuff there. DW doesn't bother with make up (and I hardly ever need it).

Thanks for the reply. It is obviously that I carry far too much "forbidden" stuff when I go on a cruise. Our toilet bag contains large toothpaste, electric toothbrush, normal toothbrush, pot of moisturiser, shaving foam, and razor.... it is of course a shared toilet bag..... but we must rethink.

Hi,

I always keep mini toiletries for the last night morning and use spa for a quick clean up before leaving ship then leave them there, unless on excursion then I use wet wipes and a little bottle of hand sanitiser.

You still have to go through security screening at Barbados airport so please don't do as a lady did jan 2012 and argue with the security guard when she condensates bottles of expensive perfume and the entire contents of a large make up bag. I have to be honest I did have a chuckle when the lady in question yelled no at loosing her lipgloss.

But I did feel sorry for the gentleman with her who had a bottle of what looked to be whiskey removed from his bag.

They were under the impression they were going straight to the lounge and airplane and had not realised they had to go through security.

Safe travels everyone. H

Hi,

I always keep mini toiletries for the last night morning and use spa for a quick clean up before leaving ship then leave them there, unless on excursion then I use wet wipes and a little bottle of hand sanitiser.

You still have to go through security screening at Barbados airport so please don't do as a lady did jan 2012 and argue with the security guard when she condensates bottles of expensive perfume and the entire contents of a large make up bag. I have to be honest I did have a chuckle when the lady in question yelled no at loosing her lipgloss.

But I did feel sorry for the gentleman with her who had a bottle of what looked to be whiskey removed from his bag.

They were under the impression they were going straight to the lounge and airplane and had not realised they had to go through security.

Safe travels everyone. H

This is exactly the point I am making. You will have to think very carefully about what you retain in your cabin on the last night. P & O must make it clear that you still go through Security. I can understand the lady being so annoyed, although Common Sense suggests that Security would not have been avoided.