Icy decks

bobbisailsolo

Just wondering, how icy are the decks in the winter months? Traveling early March.., Are they constantly being cleared off? Or do the remain icy when the temps are below freezing? Still can't decide which boots to bring... I love the sorel, but they are very heavy and bulky. My ugg lace ups are a bit more refined, but just not accommodating for heavy socks. Do your feet really get that cold if walking in the ports or on deck? Also reconsidering the need for snow pants. When might I need those. Hoping to see a response from our friend Sarnia...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From my experience, the decks are usually cleared of the bulk snow (so you don't walk ankle deep in snow) but if the temperatures are cold there can remain some frozen patches so the decks can be slippery at times. I have slip-on soles with spikes which I might use on deck (or I just avoid the worst areas).

I had no real troubles with cold feet. I have a pair of waterproof hiking shoes, and also a pair of snow boots but not the bulky type (it's very like this model), and a pair of thick socks inside. It's important not to be squeeze tights in your shoes as restriction to blood flow will increase the feeling of cold. I think it's better to bring the wider pair that would let you use 2 pairs of socks if needed.

For me the coldest I felt was at North Cape (it can be really windy) and at night looking for Northern Lights. During the day you can always find a spot, even outside, sheltered from the wind (the wind is what will most make you cold). But at night the NL don't always show up in a place you can find shelter. Are you snow pants bulky and heavy? I have a pair of softshell snowpants that are very light in the bag but provide good windproof and waterproof protection (not so much warmth but I layer wool and fleece underpants underneath). If you think you are susceptible to cold and want to spend time outside at night looking out for NL then maybe you will find use for the snow pants.

The body part from which I suffered most of the cold is my hands. I take a lot of pictures so I need gloves that would offer good warmth and wind protection while still allowing for free use of the fingers and I have tried many combination of photographer gloves/silk or fleece undergloves and still haven't found the appropriate solution. NL hunting, my hands got really really cold.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much for the feedback! I think I would rather be safe than sorry, so I'll bring the snow pants... They are so roomy that if I have to run out at night, I can just pull them up over my thermals, (which I will most likely sleep in...) and feel cozy and warm. I agree with you on the boots. Think I'll bring the sorrels.. So easy to slip into...

I did buy some slip on "spikes" for the ice. Have not bought gloves yet. I'm not much of a photographer, so I'll just go for warmth.

Other than that, I think I'm all set. Just deciding which of my parkas I should take...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk