The Surprisingly Fabulous Empress

CruiseFever

Quick background: This is our 14th cruise but first on Royal Caribbean. It's me, Chris (50) and dw Lisa (47) celebrating our 24th wedding anniversary (no kids).

I've always said that there is no such thing as a bad cruise but this one I was a bit hessitant about. The 49,000 ton Empress of the Seas is the smallest ship we've ever been on. Launched as Nordic Empress in 1990, she's also the oldest ship we've ever been on. Less than half the size and 10 times older than our last ship, the Caribbean Princess, this was sure to be a different experience.

My apprehension about this ship was brought to a high with stories I'd heard about everything from cabins so small I'd need a shoe horn to get in the door (we are not small people) to horrible grinding noises made by the propulsion system.

Sitting in the terminal waiting to board we chatted with another couple who'd been on the ship before. Bad idea. They went on and on about how bad the ship, the crew, the food, everything is. I wondered why they were even here. The worst comment was "Just don't judge Royal Caribbean by this ship"

I think that lady must have been high and for the life of me I cannot see what it is these people who knock this ship are talking about.

The Empress is one elegant lady.

After less than a day onboard I am overjoyed to report that so far everything,

every single aspect, has been fabulous.

Our outside cabin, 4636, is quite functional. It might very well be small for an outside cabin but it's our first and we like it just fine. I think that's saying a lot because it is the first time we've ever cruised without a balcony. I fully bought into the notion that once you had a balcony you were spoiled. Not so here. There are nooks and crannies, and shelves, and drawers and cabinets in abundance. We're not light packers and everything has a place with room to spare.

Add to that Krissem, our cabin steward who is one of those stewards that seems to read your mind and anticipate your every need and you've got a real winner.

More details on that and other elements of this cruise as they unfold but so far, this one is looking really good.

Embarkation was a breeze. We'd booked late so we had no documents, only our SetSail pass which I'd printed at home....and that was all we needed. We arrived at the terminal at 9:45, parked and were in the terminal in the comfy waiting area by 10:30. By 11:00 we were on board and touring the ship.

Embarkation lunch in the Windjammer was delicious. I'd heard "bland, tastless, etc". Not so. The well laid out buffet line flows smoothly and quickly. The nice variety of foods proved to be a big hit too.

We did indeed, as anticipated (thank you Cruise Critic board members) have to wait untill 1:00 to enter the stateroom areas. Also as anticipated it WAS a bit awkward rolling my carryon around behind me but everybody else was too so it just seemed like the thing to do.

On the front page of the ships daily Compass newsletter I'd read on an advance copy I'd seen on the Cruise Critic board to "get ready for the best vacation of your life" I thought "Yeah right, we'll see"

Sailaway proved that to be much more that just a little thing they say.

As we departed from Port Everglades I was on deck for our Cruise Critic sailaway meet (along with about a thousand other passengers) when the cruise director brings up the band and the Royal Caribbean Dancers explode onto the scene. This peppy bunch really got the crowd, people of all ages and backgrounds into it. It was a real catch-your-breath, goosebumps moment... and not the last one of the day either.

This was REALLY well done. Fun but with class.

You know they do this every sailing but these pros would have you believe that it was the first time and that we were the very best mix of passengers they'd ever had.

A little later, dinner would continue the same theme in a more subdued but equally appropriate manner. We'd been given late dinner but wanted early- no problem changing times. Dinner, from the moment we entered the dining room (there's just one) to the time we left was flawless. The didn't miss a beat on any aspect of the dining experience.

I'll be back with more later but I wanted to pop in and thank you for all the helpful tips regarding The Empress and just Royal Caribbean in general. You were right on the mark.

Gotta go now, its time to "Get Out There!"

I am so glad you had a good cruise on the Dark Side Chris. I too would question anyone who ranted on and on about how horrible something is and then are doing what they are complaining about! If I don't like something I don't go back. Seems simple enough.

Now we need to convert you completly and get you on a larger ship (kidding, I love RCI, Carnival and Princess as well. They all offer a great product).

Chris, so glad your enjoying the Empress. I love this ship and we're sailing her again this May from Philly to Bermuda. Having been on big, little, Carnival, Princess & RCCL there's just something about the staff on this ship that makes her so great. We leave this Saturday on the AOS and we're looking forward to being on one of the megas but Empress will always be one of my favorites. By the way our last couple of cruises have been w/balconies but I don't mind going back to an Oceanview for the Empress.:D

Debbie

We were on the 9-3-05 sailing to Key West and Grand Cayman, oceanview cabin 9182, last cabin on the port side. We did have a couple times there was a vibration of the engines, but it didn't bother us one bit. The Empress is definitely a grand ol ship for sure. She is one of our favorites. We have been on 8 cruises, 3 on Carnival and 5 on RCCL. Our favorite is RCCL, and the Empress is right up there! I would be back on her right now if I could!

Enjoy your cruise, and come again to one of the other ships!

Chris aka Lifeiscruising, Host Chris, and Cruisefever,

Glad you are enjoying your time on the Empress. I really learned a lot from your reviews of the CB before our last cruise. It is good to hear the scoop from a seasoned cruiser. Take good care of her. We'll be sitting there waiting to embark when you are leaving.

Chris aka Lifeiscruising, Host Chris, and Cruisefever,

Happy to hear that you are enjoying the Empress as much as we did in May. We have friends that we met in May on the ship this week, so if you run into Bill & Sherry tell them Jill and Dave say hi!

Enjoyed your detailed postings on the Princess board and hopefully you will now be a Royal convert....Have a great time this week.....Jill:cool:

Chris,

It is good to hear you are trying other lines.

I know how much you liked Carnival so much in the past.

Enjoy yor time aboard the Empress of the Seas, we will be on her doing a 4 nighter out of San Juan, we are booked in the Royal Suite.

Have a great cruise.

Tom

Chris, how was your cruise on the Empress? I have been looking for updates and have not seen any as to date. It looks like things started off quite nicely for you.

Oh it was wonderful! Like so many here told me before we boarded, I'm hooked! They did a really nice job. There's a link to the review I posted in my signature and I'll have some photos up soon too.

Great Ship, Great Crew

Oh it was wonderful! Like so many here told me before we boarded, I'm hooked! They did a really nice job. There's a link to the review I posted in my signature and I'll have some photos up soon too.

Great Ship, Great Crew

Thanks Chris. I'll go take a look at right now while I'm having lunch. Glad that you enjoyed the cruise and ship.

Hi Chris,

Glad to hear you enjoyed your 1st cruise on RCL, it was nice meeting you & your wife in the Elevator.

Had a funny thing happen last Friday while onboard I decided to check in & say Hi to a group I chat with regularly on CC. I went thru the process of signing on to the RCL computers, but when I went to post on CC I was already logged in. It was only after I hit post & noticed their was a strange man staring back from where my Avitar usually is that I realized I was posting under Chris's login! The group got a good chuckle out of that, as I had to go back & explain that it really was ME, KC!:D

Anyhow, pretty much agree with Chris on the Empress, she is a beautiful ship.

Chris, were you in the dinning room the night the dishes were really rattling?? I think it was tues night? You could hear the props making noise before that, but then they really started in. Never could find out anything, but we made it everywhere we were supposed to, so I guess everything was ok!

I just had to laugh at the bit about the people in line to GET ON the ship telling you how awful it was! It just goes to show that some people just aren't happy unless they're miserable. :-) I had a really dismal cruise on Carnival's Ecstasy back in '94 and I STILL won't consider another cruise on them. My first cruise was on the Nordic Empress and I'll always love that ship.

Archived