Hotel Saga Solved

daninnyc

Thanks everyone for helping out.

I have no idea why, and I am not going to question it, but after trying several times online to book a hotel for a one night pre-stay, I had some free time and went on Orbitz - there it was the Ritz Carlton for $599 a night (much less than the $799 I was quoted by reservations). Yes, I reserved it and then cancelled that Wyndam Hotel.

I am so happy and excited I decided to do the following:

1. Play the lottery as it must be a lucky day and

2. Walk through the streets of NY singing "Put on Your Sunday Clothes" from Hello Dolly!

Dan

I am soooo jealous! Ritz is totally sold out the day we need it. So is Marriott! (Although we got a room because hubbie has Platinum status there, but no helping at the Ritz).

So now we are either going to do one night at Caneel or at the Marriott.

Have heard conflicting stuff about Marriott. Marriott and Wyndham look nice on their website, but not so nice reviews on tripAdvisor. Actually a mixed bag, depending on who is posting.

Also heard Caneel's rooms are not really nice either. But the location is too die for.....

So we have reservations at both and will decide sometime soon!

I know it is only one night, but I am like Danny and really like to start a vacation in a NICE place! LOL!

Dewla -

Its so true that a nice place sets the tone for the trip. The last thing you need is to be in "survival" or "Camping" mode at some hotel one or two nights before your trip.

I would call St. Thomas Ritz directly - even a week before you leave. People cancel at the last minute and who knows....you might just luck out. The hotel manager does not want to keep empty rooms if he or she can help it. Remember that people may judge the Marriot on its price - liking it for $89 a night but not liking it for $500 a night so that may influence ones trip report! Some people just don't get it.

Dan

My trip is still too far out but....

I sometimes have last luck going to those large travel agencies (like that advertise in the back of the NY TIMES) and asking if they have rooms. They buy rooms in bulk for their own tours that they sell to other travel agencies and they have come through - especially in Hawaii during Christmas...people cancel or they don't sell what they have...you never know

Good Luck

:) Dewla --

If you want to dash in to Charlotte St Amalie -- you can't go wrong with the Marriott. We stayed there -- on Frenchman's Reef side -- not Four Seasons quality (our luxury standard), but you can't beat the location. Beach area is nice and several different restaurants of different prices give you variety. I wasn't impressed with the rooms we were given -- noisy and old -- like Disney Jen, hear the the Morningside rooms are much better, but again how much time do you spend in the room?

FT

I just like clean and I am sure Marriott is Clean....(hopefully) and we need to be with a nice crowd. Chris and I don't fit into family resorts :D I would gladly stay at the Maririott and should I find a room available between now and march I will go for it.

Dan

I always take the TripAdvisor reports with a grain of salt ... as Dan points out what someone might think is fine for $89 is unacceptable at $500.

Our room last year in the Morningstar section was clean and comfortable. The ice machine thingy in the room was a distraction but that is why I travel with my Sharper Image portable sound machine:D We were literally right on the beach which was nice as well.

We also like the location of the Marriott ... it is about 5 minutes from the dock at Havensight, and short ride to downtown Charlotte Amaile and about 15 minutes from the airport ... depending on traffic. The Ritz is out by Red Hook for those of you familiar with STT. I am still trying to find a room at the Ritz since we have done the Marriott. I was trying to talk DH into Caneel but he can't justify it for two short days.

All in all these are good problems, wouldn't you say?

Your just fabulous Dis-Jen ! Of course those are fantastic problems to be had - all in all just a hard days work when planning masterful vacations! Now we ahev to get you into the Ritz - it was on the travel channel the other day and I for one want to go on their private catamaran that sails for snorkeling tours and a champaign sunset cruise....after I swim in the affinity pool of course.

Pass the sun screen dahling!

Cheers Dan (raising my very dry and very cold Absolut Citron martini to you).

Will have to look for the rerun on the Travel Channel. I believe that the catamaran sails over to White Bay on Jost Van Dyke ... one of my absolut (pun intended) places in the Caribbean!

And by all means ... call me Jen:p

• 1 month later...

FYI: Marriott opened up rooms for the week we are going. (After Thanksgiving). They were previously sold out and we were going to pay rack rate $383.

Now that have some better prices and also the availibility to use points if you have them.

Archived