Snuba Vs BOSS Scooters

Raxter54

We are looking at excursions for our stop at Mahogany Bay in February. I'm kind of leaning towards the Snuba excursion offered by Carnival, and DW is interested in the BOSS Underwater Adventure. Is there anyone here with a preference, or any info on these? Any idea where on Roatan they actually do these excursions?

Thanks for any info you might have. :)

We are looking at excursions for our stop at Mahogany Bay in February. I'm kind of leaning towards the Snuba excursion offered by Carnival, and DW is interested in the BOSS Underwater Adventure. Is there anyone here with a preference, or any info on these? Any idea where on Roatan they actually do these excursions?

These reviews for BOSS are from a company in West End.

I have not done either one but I have seen the snuba thing. My guess is one has a bit more freedom with the scooters because the air tank is with you. I believe the snuba tanks are in a float above water with a hose to breath through. I hear there is a learning curve on the scooters.

I know Gumbalimba close to West Bay and a watersport company between Infinity and Tabyana both offer snuba.

Someone asked not long ago about Sea Trek Helmet Diving, I do not believe I know the difference between it and snuba though both are offered on the Tabyana web site.

We have done the Boss underwater scooters. The snorkeling in the area where you wait for your group to use the scooters was fantastic!!! I would do the excursion again just for that. While most of our group seemed to have fun with the scooters, they made me sick as a dog! I am not prone to seasickness. But it was a day with swells in the water and I wanted out of that helmet bell more than anything. If we do it again, I will just enjoy the snorkeling :D

Hello,

I guess it really depends on what you are looking for. With snuba you get to experience what it's like to scuba dive but without the tank on your back. I actually first started diving with snuba and loved it so much I worked my way up to being a certified dive master!:)

Hi, my wife and I did BOSS in St. Thomas and it was a blast! The pro's are that they are like an underwater motorcycle only much slower and considerably less maneuverable. You only descend some 7 to 10 feet deep and the BOSS masters take you on a guided tour. Both hands are on a yoke with an accelerator button, there are no brakes. Your head is encased in a big plastic bubble with windows or portholes to look out of. They are indestructible as I learned when I accidentally bashed into my wife's BOSS. I didn't have any problem "clearing" my ears during the tour as the depth is pretty mild.

Lastly, you don't have to paddle, the BOSS has it's own propulsion system. A plus for those with disabilities.

I can't speak to snuba as I have only scuba dived. With scuba you have much more freedom, flexibility, ability to take pictures, ascend, descend etc. But, it is your legs propelling you through the water so, it is work. Clearing your ears can be an issue for some due to the deeper ability to dive. Between the two I prefer scuba and it appears that snuba is closely related but, with a tether/air hose and compressor top side.