Air quality for asthmatic at Rotorua

muffin

One of our group has lung issues...uses CARP machine at night etc. Any reports of persons suffering breathlessness, trouble breathing etc while walking around the sulphur pools and geyser areas? We do not want to cause them any problems or anxiety. Thx for insider knowledge. We have never seen any suggestions that any persons should use special care. Of course we can just leave if they feel uncomfortable, but don't want to risk anything while on holidays.

As a New Zealander who has been to Rotorua a lot over the years and as an asthmatic I have never had an issue with the sulphur, having said that I have been affected by the pollen from pine trees.

I would recommend your travel companion undertake their own investigations as they would be more familiar with triggers for their breathing issues.

They are doing so, and of course you are correct. I just thought CC,s may have some opinions too. As you were the only response, I assume it is not a huge issue for people out there who would know about these things. I thank you for your hel

• 2 weeks later...

They should be find as long as they don't go for a bathe in the sulphur pools where the concentrations of gases would be higher. I go there often and never seen anyone have issues. As per other comments, the pollen from all the pine forests would probably be a bigger concern.:)