Travel Insurance

eminence_front

I have TravelGuard and when we were originally canceled on the Elation, they told me that if I could send them something showing that Carnival had canceled the cruise and had refunded all our money that they would "consider" refunding the premium.

If you actually read the travel policy that you purchased, you would be able to answer your own question. I know most people dont read their policies, just like they dont read their car insurance policies.. Maybe you should start reading what you are paying for.

You know what? That was rude and completely uncalled for, and I hope the next time you answer a question here about anything, someone else remembers reading it in cruise documents, or on the Carnival website, or in the contract, and tells you that you don't deserve to know the answer.

Grow up.

I am sorry I am only 5 years old, so please pardon my comment. But even being only 5, it bothers me that the average American consumer still does not know what they are buying half the time... Ok, at least I know what I am buying ALL the time, so I guess that is the important part.

Sorry again

I am sorry I am only 5 years old, so please pardon my comment. But even being only 5, it bothers me that the average American consumer still does not know what they are buying half the time... Ok, at least I know what I am buying ALL the time, so I guess that is the important part.

Sorry again

Longlegs, same could be said about people that book a Guarantee cabin, and then spend all of their time trying to find out what their cabin number is right?? I mean, when someone books a guarantee they know they may not get assigned until they get to the ship... shouldn't they know what they are buying??? :rolleyes:

Sorry, your comment was a little rude... the 50 page insurance policy might be a little much to read through for some, so she decided to ask the question here, from people that have had the experience.

Sorry again

Since you're such a better person than the rest of us and so much more knowledgeable than the rest of us, I'm really surprised I don't see you blessing the rest of us unmentionables with the glorified gift of your knowledge and experience.

Bleah. Your bad attitude speaks volumes.

I am sorry!! Now that I read it, I am in agreement that it was rude. It wont happen again. I promise:p

Hey, being able to apologize speaks volumes about a person... we all have our moments and sometimes being on a message board without the benefit of tone, well... things come out wrong.

No biggie... but I still don't know the answer to the OP's question :p LOL

Ok, I did just read the whole darn thing and it does not say squat about what happens if CARNIVAL cancels the cruise. There is a lot about if the passenger does, but not anything about the cruiseline being the one to cancel.

I also just looked through all 25 clauses of the cruise ticket contract, particularly section 18 (below), which says the cruiseline does not HAVE to give back anything at anytime once you pay your money. So Carnival is being "nice" by offering refunds for cancelled cruises. All the OP wants to know is does this include the insurance fees. We already know they don't have to give anything back because we have read our contracts in detail, we just want to know what Carnival is choosing to do this time.

Now, since the OP apparently paid for the Carnival "brand" insurance, (which is Berkely Care), can any of the people receiving refunds directly from Carnival (see thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=235257) tell us if it is including their insurance payments? Thank You

18. If the performance of the proposed voyage is hindered or prevented (or in the opinion of Carnival or the Master is likely to be hindered or prevented) by war, hostilities, blockage, ice, labor conflicts, strikes on board or ashore, restraint of Princes, Rulers or People, seizure under legal process, breakdown of the Vessel, congestion, docking difficulties or any other cause whatsoever or if Carnival or the Master considers that for any reason whatsoever, proceeding to, attempting to enter, or entering or remaining at the port of Guest’s destination may expose the Vessel to risk or loss or damage or be likely to delay her, the Guest and his baggage may be landed at the port of embarkation or at any port or place at which the Vessel may call, at which time the responsibility of Carnival shall cease and this contract shall be deemed to have been fully performed, or if the Guest has not embarked, Carnival may cancel the proposed voyage without liability to refund passage money or fares paid in advance.

(Orange Text my highlight)

It does rub me wrong when people won't do their due dilligence and read contracts and policies, so I kind of agree with the rude guy ;) .

Being an insurance guy, you probably lose your premium - the only chance you would have would be to transfer it - the only real answer you will get is to call the company you purchased the insurance from instead of a bunch of rude people like myself on the chat.

It does rub me wrong when people won't do their due dilligence and read contracts and policies, so I kind of agree with the rude guy ;) .

Being an insurance guy, you probably lose your premium - the only chance you would have would be to transfer it - the only real answer you will get is to call the company you purchased the insurance from instead of a bunch of rude people like myself on the chat.

For most of the third-party plans regarding this type of situation reading the contract/description of coverage will get you AN answer but not necessarily the right answer.

Almost all will state that the premium becomes non-refundable under any circumstances after some sort of "free look" period that can be anywhere up to about 10 days. That's what's written down.

But MrDood is right when he says that you have to call the insurer to find out if there are any exceptions made in this type of circumstance. Some of the insurers will make a refund on a case-by-case basis as a customer service / goodwill type of thing. But if you don't call you'll never know. Travel Guard's pretty good about it, and I've seen it happen with a few others. All of them will let you move the coverage to a replacement trip -- that's not written in the contract either.

Archived