san juan on a scooter

djaycruiser

I pushed my adult daughter around Old San Juan in a manual wheelchair last summer. It was doable in most areas. I think if you are careful and stay where it's mostly level, you should be OK. There are some very steep inclines in Old San Juan. I would be very afraid if I was on a scooter. There were times when we had three people holding on to my daughter's chair going down hill.

San Juan is pretty easy to get around on a scooter. There are curb cutouts on most of the streets. The Cristobal Fort is accessible and easy to get to. You also pass some of the sites going to and from. San Felipe Fort is the other direction with only limited accessibility.

There are some hills, so take this into consideration in regards to battery power. On one trip we went north and east from Plaza de la Darsena (information ) but did not go to San Felipe Fort. On a separate trip we went from the Plaza northwest to Cristobal Fort. This map is pretty good.

http://www.mappery.com/maps/Old-San-Juan-Tourist-Map.gif

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty

There are some hills, so take this into consideration in regards to battery power.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty

Battery power isn't the only thing to be concerned with when going up inclines. All scooters are rated for the grade of the uphill incline angle it can manage. If the incline angle is greater than the what the scooter can handle based on the weight of the user than the it potentially damage or burn out the motor.

If OP is taking their own scooter than they need to check their owners Manuel or call the manufacturers for the maximum incline/angle it can safely handle based on the weight of the user.

If the OP is renting a scooter from either CareVacations or SpecialNeedsatSea the most common model both companies use is the Pride GoGo Elite HD plus and the Pride GoGo Sport that here's the ratings :

• weight 150 lbs. = max 8" uphill incline/angle
  • weight 200 lbs. = max 7" uphill incline/angle
  • weight 250 lbs. = max 6" uphill incline/angle

It important to be note that what incline can be safety managed is all impacted by speed and the persons angle of approach to the incline.

"

A

$

)

&

%

@

$

User Weight 150 lbs - up to 8" incline

I've done it, and will be doing it again in two weeks. If you have back issues, you may want to avoid the cobblestones because you will get quite a bit of bumping. What kind of scooter do you have? Is it heavy duty? If not, you should have someone with you to steady the scooter on the bad bumps. I say go for it!

I would not worry about the incline angle. On our first trip, where we did the visually steep hills, I was in the 200# bracket on a small scooter and did not have any problems. However, I did pay attention to my gauge. Also, the route we planned went up first and then down to fairly level ground. Using street views on Google maps you can get an idea of what is up and down. The cobblestones are annoying, but no worse than Europe. Going to and from Fort Cristobal, I think we found some fairly smooth sidewalks.

Pat - Please clarify the angle for me. I do not have any idea of how to figure an incline in inches. I've always figured angles by degrees.

Betty

I would not worry about the incline angle. On our first trip, where we did the visually steep hills, I was in the 200# bracket on a small scooter and did not have any problems. However, I did pay attention to my gauge. Also, the route we planned went up first and then down to fairly level ground. Using street views on Google maps you can get an idea of what is up and down. The cobblestones are annoying, but no worse than Europe. Going to and from Fort Cristobal, I think we found some fairly smooth sidewalks.

Pat - Please clarify the angle for me. I do not have any idea of how to figure an incline in inches. I've always figured angles by degrees.

Betty

Information preciously posted as taken directly from the Pride GoGo Manual on Pride Mobility's website.

Link to calculations http://www.archtoolbox.com/measurements/geometry/slope.html

Information preciously posted as taken directly from the Pride GoGo Manual on Pride Mobility's website.

Link to calculations http://www.archtoolbox.com/measurements/geometry/slope.html

Thank you, I see where they use inches for calculations to achieve the degrees, same as it has always been. I was afraid that some genius decided to create some weird new geometry to calculate angles. Pride list everything in degrees or percentage which makes sense.

Also noticed that ADA specifies 5°, whereas Europe allows more depending on the CE ratings. Pride grades their at 6°.

Thank you, I see where they use inches for calculations to achieve the degrees, same as it has always been. I was afraid that some genius decided to create some weird new geometry to calculate angles. Pride list everything in degrees or percentage which makes sense.

Also noticed that ADA specifies 5°, whereas Europe allows more depending on the CE ratings. Pride grades their at 6°.

Just went back and re-read my previous post this thread ( 4") and found that for some reason it did not post as proofed. It should have posted as follows :

If the OP is renting a scooter from either CareVacations or SpecialNeedsatSea the most common model both companies use is the Pride GoGo Elite HD plus and the Pride GoGo Sport that here's the ratings :

• weight 150 lbs. = max 8° uphill incline/angle
  • weight 200 lbs. = max 7°uphill incline/angle
  • weight 250 lbs. = max 6 °uphill incline/angle

It important to be note that what incline can be safety managed is all impacted by speed and the persons angle of approach to the incline.