Free unlimited drinks - how about tips and kids?

Nipo

Norwegian gives a free drinking package in new bookings for two adults per cabin. Does this include the 18% service charge too or do they charge that from your account? How about when having kids in the same cabin - do you have to buy soda packages for the kids if adults are getting this drinking package?

Here in Finland our home office is EU office in Germany that serves most of the Europe, not the UK one that exists because they have their own (even weirder ;) ) legistlation for travel companies.

But nevertheless, when booking the current promo through either UK or EU office, gratuities are included in the promo UBP.

If booking through a Finnish TA, it pays to find out how they book the cruise - my first NCL cruise (that never happened) in 2005 was booked through Kaleva Travel and at least back then I didn't lose the deposit when I had to cancel, so apparently they handled the booking through an US partner or similar because EU cancellation rules aren't that flexible.

Edited by Demonyte

If you have to pay your gratuities, they will already appear on your account. They are not something that shows up later. You are charged when you book. So are they there? If so, you have to pay them. If not, you don't. It's that simple.

When booking through a TA it really is not that simple - just because your experience with booking direct is something, it does not mean that all agencies would work like that.

For example our TA lists only one total price (taxes and fees included) per person in their confirmations - they do not send NCL's detailed confirmations to customers at all. So in this case the bar service charges would not be itemized anywhere and only way to make sure would be to ask TA about it.

Your title also asked about tips. The Daily Service Charge (DSC) will be charged on your account each day for each person in your room. There is not a discount for kids DSC. You can always tip extra but you do not have to.

Now if you are staying in a suite the butler and concierge are not included in the DSC and should be tipped depending on use. Some people say 20 per day per person. I think around 200 for the butler and 100 for the concierge for the week is a good point to start. If you have extra services you should include more.

Okay, they are quite strict here... I posted an answer yesterday, but I quess since I mentioned our TA by name the whole message has been removed...

So, the TA is german, and i booked thru Internet.

I asked the TA and the answer was: "If guests book the Ultimate Beverage Package before the cruise starts, they do not need to pay anymore else. Only with the booking on board, NCL charges the gratuities of 18% for the drinks."

So, I still don't know if this is only the situation with this TA, but I'll take the UBC:s :)

Edited by Nipo

When booking through a TA it really is not that simple - just because your experience with booking direct is something, it does not mean that all agencies would work like that.

For example our TA lists only one total price (taxes and fees included) per person in their confirmations - they do not send NCL's detailed confirmations to customers at all. So in this case the bar service charges would not be itemized anywhere and only way to make sure would be to ask TA about it.

Wow! That's nuts. I wouldn't book with a TA who didn't tell me what I'm paying. If they can lump in beverage package gratuities into the total cost and the client doesn't even know it, then the client has no clue what their cruise fare even is. That seems shady to me, but to each his own.

Wow! That's nuts. I wouldn't book with a TA who didn't tell me what I'm paying. If they can lump in beverage package gratuities into the total cost and the client doesn't even know it, then the client has no clue what their cruise fare even is. That seems shady to me, but to each his own.

I didn't say that the TA wouldn't tell what the price contains, the breakdown just does not show on their standard confirmation (the same template is used for all cruise lines). Before I book a cruise, I'm well aware of the different price components that are added together for the total price.

I didn't say that the TA wouldn't tell what the price contains, the breakdown just does not show on their standard confirmation (the same template is used for all cruise lines). Before I book a cruise, I'm well aware of the different price components that are added together for the total price.

Okay, so then my original point about how the poster should be able to know if gratuities have been charged or not isn't so far off-base? Good. I didn't think so.

Okay, so then my original point about how the poster should be able to know if gratuities have been charged or not isn't so far off-base? Good. I didn't think so.

Yes it was, because it might not show on the confirmation/account where you said it would show (as when booking through a TA, one generally does not see anything regarding cruise price on their MyNCL and most TAs do not have online services like MyNCL so the cruise confirmation is all what they have).

Also if booking online (I always book with a specific agent through email), TAs system might show things very differently than NCL's booking process on their website.

Yes it was, because it might not show on the confirmation/account where you said it would show (as when booking through a TA, one generally does not see anything regarding cruise price on their MyNCL and most TAs do not have online services like MyNCL so the cruise confirmation is all what they have).

Also if booking online (I always book with a specific agent through email), TAs system might show things very differently than NCL's booking process on their website.

Come on, Demonyte, you're better than this. The point wasn't WHERE they can see it. The point was that if they are being charged gratuities, they will have already been charged - it would not happen later. That is correct, and you can dispute until the cows come home, but you will be wrong. It's not my job to tell the person how to view their account. So theirs might not be the same as mine? Big deal. It doesn't negate the fact that the gratuities are charged at the time the package is booked and/or given as a promo, if they are going to be charged at all. I don't care how much you argue this. I'm done.

Edited by LrgPizza

I just did this...Adults gets UDP and the gratuities are added to the total cost of your cruise. You don't HAVE to buy soda packages for the kids. But they are not included in your free UDP. You will still have to pay for those.

I just did this...Adults gets UDP and the gratuities are added to the total cost of your cruise. You don't HAVE to buy soda packages for the kids. But they are not included in your free UDP. You will still have to pay for those.

Sure, of course, but the thing is that our kids are competing athletes and will be going strictly thru their training program also when cruising so they are not going to drink very many sodas during the cruise. That was also the point in my question since probably the only drinks we will have with the package will be one glass of wine for me and my husband for the dinner. But gladly thru out TA we don't need to pay the gratuities for the package so we will take it. With the gratuities it wouldn't be worth the price.

I was in a Penthouse, had UBP and they added the tip onto slips I received when ordering a drink. Sometimes I added a bit more. :o

The UBP (and other nice benefits) were put on my reservation at the time of booking rather than being purchased while on board.

Edited by sail7seas

• 2 weeks later...

Ok we are in the same situation. Have the UDP for the two adults.. so if I understand correctly the kids are not included . We have two options ... !) buy them a soda plan each or 2) pay individally for their drinks

So if they are'nt big pop drinkers .. is that all the soda card covers ,does it cover juices or water ?

If not aprox how much is a pop and or juice or water ?

We the adults cruised last year and found the UDP worth it even if you only have a few drinks a day ... it all adds up so well worth it..

Just trying to figure the kids out...hmmmmm

Ok we are in the same situation. Have the UDP for the two adults.. so if I understand correctly the kids are not included . We have two options ... !) buy them a soda plan each or 2) pay individally for their drinks

So if they are'nt big pop drinkers .. is that all the soda card covers ,does it cover juices or water ?

We the adults cruised last year and found the UDP worth it even if you only have a few drinks a day ... it all adds up so well worth it..

I think you mean UBP. You can get non-bottled water many places so that's an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, the soda package only covers soda. If they aren't big pop drinkers, lemonade, ice tea, milk, juice and flavored waters are complimentary. I can't help with the price of soda, since my son won't drink it, and we always have UBP.

Edited by LrgPizza