Shopping in Cozumel

mkchiq

mkchiq-

Just got back from RCCL/NOS (Western) on Saturday. We were in Coz on Thursday and the shopping was plentiful. :D Items to note: Silver jewelry, mexcian wares (dishes, serving pieces, etc.), vanilla, Mex. blankets, mexican craft items-maracas, etc. Shops are plentiful along the waterfront. As you walk, you WILL be asked by everyone (they stand out in front of their stores) to come in to look.:o I just smiled & said "No thanks". There are vendors on the streets you can haggle with and in the port (we docked at the International Pier) there were TONS of vendors to haggle with.

Cinco del Soles (near the Forum) is a huge store with everything under one roof. We had read about it here on the boards. While their store was very nice, had super selections and was a 'one-stop' shop - we found out AFTER shopping there that we had been taken on the prices:eek: . Luckily, while I was looking at their silver selection a gentleman & his wife told me that I needed to go back to the pier area and haggle. BOY WAS HE RIGHT!!! A simple silver pendant at CDS was $67. I ended up purchasing one very similar with matching earrings for $45 at the pier. Just watch the people at the pier (and everywhere else for that matter). Check all items for .925 on the back and also check the quality-we were in a booth and the owner changed out the stone on a bracelet we wanted to purchase for our daughter. He scratched the silver up pretty bad while changing out the stone. When I made a comment, he said-"looks good lady" and seemed offended by my comment. :mad: We ended up leaving him and getting a better deal with another VERY nice vendor. We also went into one store (I think it was the $10 Silver store) and there wasn't a single .925 that I saw...just cheap junk-not the good stuff).

Personally, I would skip CDS & shop at the smaller stores along the waterfront. You'll save yourself $$$. If you have any other questions let me know!

mkchiq-

Just got back from RCCL/NOS (Western) on Saturday. We were in Coz on Thursday and the shopping was plentiful. :D Items to note: Silver jewelry, mexcian wares (dishes, serving pieces, etc.), vanilla, Mex. blankets, mexican craft items-maracas, etc. Shops are plentiful along the waterfront. As you walk, you WILL be asked by everyone (they stand out in front of their stores) to come in to look.:o I just smiled & said "No thanks". There are vendors on the streets you can haggle with and in the port (we docked at the International Pier) there were TONS of vendors to haggle with.

Cinco del Soles (near the Forum) is a huge store with everything under one roof. We had read about it here on the boards. While their store was very nice, had super selections and was a 'one-stop' shop - we found out AFTER shopping there that we had been taken on the prices:eek: . Luckily, while I was looking at their silver selection a gentleman & his wife told me that I needed to go back to the pier area and haggle. BOY WAS HE RIGHT!!! A simple silver pendant at CDS was $67. I ended up purchasing one very similar with matching earrings for $45 at the pier. Just watch the people at the pier (and everywhere else for that matter). Check all items for .925 on the back and also check the quality-we were in a booth and the owner changed out the stone on a bracelet we wanted to purchase for our daughter. He scratched the silver up pretty bad while changing out the stone. When I made a comment, he said-"looks good lady" and seemed offended by my comment. :mad: We ended up leaving him and getting a better deal with another VERY nice vendor. We also went into one store (I think it was the $10 Silver store) and there wasn't a single .925 that I saw...just cheap junk-not the good stuff).

Personally, I would skip CDS & shop at the smaller stores along the waterfront. You'll save yourself $$$. If you have any other questions let me know!

Thanks for all the great information! Are there any amercian chain stores that have any good deals?

MKCHIQ

Thanks for all the great information! Are there any amercian chain stores that have any good deals?

MKCHIQ

There is lots of duty-free shopping (as in most ports). Jewelry is big (Diamonds International, etc.). I just wanted silver-wasn't prepared to spend $$$ on diamonds, etc. Did not see any Coach, Fendi, etc. Did see some Dooney & Burke at Kiss My Cactus.

I know this sounds kind of dumb, but I have to use a cane to help me walk. I was wondering If I would be able to find a carved cane there at a good price?

SIXY SIX

Maybe a flea market area-I remember seeing vendors down a side street (looked like a flea market area) but we didn't have time to venture that direction due to our planned excursion.

I purchased a piece of silver .950 jewellery in Cozumel two years ago. I love it. The silver is sold by weight. Start by asking the suggested price - then haggle and haggle hard!! Most items can be purchased for about half the suggested first price.

I love the barter system. It's fun in itself. Be prepared to walk away - it is part of the game. And if you make a deal it means everyone is happy. :) ;)

MKCHIQ

I didn't see any American chain stores in Cozumel.

Last May in Hawaii we saw flocks of people wowing over a Walmart. Just my opinion, but WHY?? travel if all you want to see is what you have at home.

:( Walmart?? Might as well stay home.

Archived