Sovereign Of the Seas 9/23 cruise

woodman

Returned yesterday from our 3-day cruise on the SOS. We met some great people from this C/C board. It was fun to put a face to all the names . Thanks Breal for the C/C Buttons and the frig. magnet. It now sits on our refrigerator as a reminder of our cruise.

The ship is beautiful and easy to get around on. It does however show signs of wear and tear in some areas. The renovations that were made left some parts of the interior looking like new.

The entertainment was very good. The Sovereign dancers and singers put on one great show. Dancing to the movies is a great theme and very well done. Papa John Guthery in the Schooner Lounge was the best. We really enjoyed his music each evening. The service onboard was the greatest, from the room steward to the wait staff. These people really went out of their way to please.Thanks to all of them one more time they really do make or break a cruise.

We had visited Nassau before so we spent a relaxing afternoon on the ship, looking forward forward to our next stio Co-C0 Cay. The next morning we were there. Found a nice shady spot under a couple of palm trees and got comforable. Then it started to rain and rain and rain. Back to the ship we went. Another relaxing afternoon on the ship.

I know I will upset some of the loyal RCI fans with my next comments. We were very disappointed with the food. At best it was cafeteria grade food. The dinners were dry and tasteless and poorly presented. I ordered a Fillet of beef expecting a steak. I got 2 small slices of beef on top of an ice cream scoop of mashed potatoes.(uck) The last night I ordered the Roast Turkey. It was sliced from a precooked turkey breast. I was hopping for an over roasted juicy turkey. We observed the staff heating some dinners in a microwave oven before serving. What was surpeising was the microwave oven was right there in the dinning room for all to see. Now that's not fine dinning in any dinning room.

In the Windjammer for breakfast the pancakes and french toast lookd like they came out of a box in the freezer. On the lunch buffet the only thing that looked fresh was sandwiches and the salads. The rest of the food looked like left overs. The pizza looked like and tasted like frozen pizza. Shame on them. As the food is one of the major attractions on a cruise we were very dissapointd. It could be that on a three say cruise this is all they offer and on a longer cruises the quality improves. I seriously doubt that we will cruise RCI in the near future.

We are LOYAL Royal Caribbean cruisers and we will probably NEVER go back on the Sovereign, partly for the reason stated by the OP. The food on the Sovereign the previous three times we were on her was wonderful, fantastic, any word you want to use, it was great, best we ever had on any Royal Caribbean cruise, PERIOD. Not the last time (Aug '05), it was just as the OP stated, bland, dry, not very good. I do have to disagree with the turkey dinner, it was good, not great, but I have to admit it was pretty good.

I think and hope it is just the Sovereign. We were on Explorer May '05 and food was very good. We are hoping the food on the Mariner next May is good as we will be on her for the second time.

Tim & Crystal

i too am a loyal rccl fan. and i have to agree with woodman. i sailed the sovereign 7/15/2005 and the ship looked wonderful after the refurb. the food was terrific. i also went on 9/23/2005. the pool deck carpet was worn and tattered. i know it's a high traffic area but still this is only months after the refurb. i think they may have gotten an inferior batch, or just bought low grade quality carpet.

the food was bad this time around. the lunch was so tasteless in the dining room that allen and i got up and walked out leaving everything uneaten and went to the windjammer, where things weren't too much better. but on the co co cay day we came back after lunch was over and we decided to grab a bite to eat. well after snacks were a real joke. gone were the hamburgers they always have. gone were the nacho chips they always have. oh, all the fixings were there for the nachos just no chips. so i questioned the officer in charge if the windjammer about the nacho chips. he told me they are only in the windjammer for lunch. so i asked since when. he said thats the way it is. okay so i ask why doo they have salsa and guacamole and sourcream out there. he turns around looks and tells me it says they are hot dog condiments!!:eek: . i asked him how many people he knew that put guacamole and sour cream on a hot dog. his answer "well thats what the people ask for" lol

anyway my point is i think the decline in quality has to do with the staff in charge of the windjammer at this time. as soon as they go on vacation i think things will improve. or at least i hope so because i am booked on the sovereign in oct and again in jan with my whole family.

woodman. it was nice meeting the two of you and you're quite welcome. hope to see you again some day on "the seas", lol.

bren

We are sailing out on the 24th of Oct for 4 nights and hope to have a good experience since this is our first with RCL. If not, it will be our last. We are not real picky so maybe we will be ok. Thanks for the review so we will at least be prepared.

Archived