Ocean Suite vs. 2 balcony cabins on 8-night Breeze

Island_Chica

Hi all. We will be traveling with our two kids, ages 4 and 6. My mom is also coming. A total party of 5, and we're getting 2 cabins regardless. Our choices (comparable in price) are:

1. An ocean suite for our family of 4 (remember kids are little) and an interior nearby for mom, OR

2. Two connecting balcony cabins - 3 in one, 2 in the other.

I am very tempted to go for the suite because it's larger and has floor room for kids to play. Plus the closets and bathroom are out of the way and there's a tub. Price is comparable for us, only about $200 more total (not per person, TOTAL) for the suite vs. two balcony cabins. Mom will pay less than $200 more for her own interior room. She will of course have access to our balcony when desired. Plus the DVD player in suite can be a lifesaver when you have small kids and a rainy day or someone gets sick (one of our kids got an ear infection in the middle of our last cruise and keeping him occupied was tough).

Edited by Island_Chica

We always did two connecting balcony cabins when the kids were younger.

Having a second bathroom, own beds and their own TV in the morning and at night

was a huge plus!

Let us know what you decide.

Any chance your mom might want to have the kids with her at night, that would give everyone their own beds and option for kids to be with you some nights also, AND it might be cheaper to add them to her interior room ($ wise) and then once you see the arrangements when you board you can iron it all out and choose who sleeps where? Just a thought, I know my mother in law craves time alone with my kids on vacations and this is what she always wants to do (of course she lives far away so this is when she soaks up all the time with the kids, may be a different situation for you guys) I definitely vote for the suite for you and hubby!

toyisland8 - I thought about that, but honestly the kids always want to be with us, not my mom. My mom loves the kids... but they get on her nerves after a few days. She lives near us and sees them a lot.

The more I think about it, the more I think we're going to do the suite. The two connecting rooms makes me nervous because we'll have to close the door at some point - so we can get dressed, etc. That leaves the possibility my kids will be unsupervised in a balcony room (like if my mom is in the bathroom, etc) and we can't chance that. Also, we like the fact that the Ocean Suites seem to be over a promenade style deck, so on the horrible chance a kid falls they do not go into the ocean :eek:

The things you think about when you are a parent.

It's actually cheaper to put 4 of us in a GS than put hubby and I in there and the kids with my mom. 4 in GS = $4700, 2 in GS = $4000 plus two interior fares, which are well over $700 for our sailing.

Edited by Island_Chica

You mentioned a GS and an Ocean suite.

I'm not impressed with ocean suites (we've had one), but I think a grand suite would be awesome. so if it were me, I'd get 2 balcony cabins or a grand suite.

She will of course have access to our balcony when desired.

Have you asked your Mom what she would prefer? I'm a mother/grandmother and I know I would rather have my own balcony that share a balcony with my daughter's family. I get up super early even on vacation and I love to order coffee and sit out on the balcony while everyone else is still sleeping.