Just off the Triumph

Hello.. Just got back from a GREAT 5 day cruise!! Here's a brief (OK-pretty long) review of what I felt was great and not so great about our trip...

GREAT- Embarkation--

We arrived in Galveston the night before. Stayed at a Rodeway Inn that was sketchy, but cheap. We got up and left early. We arrived at the parking lot around 9:15 and were told the lot would let us in to park at 9:30. The lot didn't open until 10 am, but we were the first in line when the gate opened. Shuttles were plentiful and quick to bring us to the pier. We carried on all our luggage so we skipped the baggage check in line. We went through security and then had to bring our soda and wine to another station be inspected. They opened up both cases of soda and took out each can. They also unwrapped the top of the wine and inspected the cork. I had vaguely entertained the idea of attempting to smuggle in liquor, but decided it was way too much work!! Strangely, they only inspected what we handed them to inspect from our luggage. Not sure if they would have known if we left something in the bag we didn't want to get inspected. After that we checked in, had photos taken and were given our boarding passes back with a stamp that said boarding zone 1. The ship started loading at 11:30. By 1230 I was enjoying my first Guys Burger on the lido deck!!

Great- Circle C

My daughters ages 13 and 14 met a bunch of kids at Circle C and they spent a lot of time hanging out with these kids. A plus for us , because it gave us adult time, but I think they spent more time with the other kids while at sea than they did with us. Sad when your babies out grow you!!

Great- food wise

Guys Burgers- Delicious beyond words..... wish I had one right now.

Steak and Eggs from Seaday Brunch was fabulous.

Room service beef loin sandwich - yummy.

Pizza Pirate-- a second to Guys Burgers for most consumed by my family on this trip.

South Beach buffet- I actually liked the buffet better than the MDR.

The only thing from the MDR that I really, really liked was the Crème Brulee.

Great-Staff

Every single staff was amazing and hard working. Lindsay from Circle C was great and the room stewards rocked. The bar tenders were great as well. Give them extra tips, and the drinks come super strong.

Great- The drink package.

So, because we were traveling with 2 minors and wanted 2 staterooms, we had to book each of us adults with one of the kids. This is the way Carnival wanted it, and it turned into a big advantage. Only my husband had to pay for the drink package since we were not booked in the same stateroom. I know some people may get upset by this, but YES, he gave me some of his drinks. We didn't flaunt it, but honestly, I don't think anyone would have noticed or cared. He didn't even finish all 15 drinks on one or two days. He tipped the bartenders really well and they hooked him up.

Best bar-Alchemy and the Blue Iguana!!

My next post will be what I didn't like (much shorter)..

What I didn't like...

Progresso. Ugh. I am mad that Carnival even uses this port. The shuttle off the pier is free, but before they let you off, they trap you on the bus to listen to a sales pitch for excursions. This poor girl was trying to get off because she was feeling ill and the guy wouldn't open the door for her. Outrageous. I didn't book any excursions (here or at Cozumel), so we went to the public beach along side the pier. While we were walking, every ten feet, people were approaching us trying to sell us stuff or give us massages. It is NOT very relaxing to have to say no thank you every 30 seconds to another person trying to sell u something. Seriously all I wanted to do was relax. My husband and I tried to escape from these people by going in the water, but then they started harassing my daughters. We left the beach area after we realized we would be happier returning to the boat. We took a little walking tour of Progresso. Lots of poverty and run down buildings. We eventually made our way back to the bus station and went back to the ship. I would not get off the ship at this port unless I booked an excursion.

Main Dining Room. The food was good and the service was great. The dining room was beautiful. But for me, I don't like dressing up, especially not on vacation. I prefer to stay in flip flops and shorts.

Mustering..

OK, this was the worst part of the cruise. Standing in the Texas heat -shoulder to shoulder with hundreds of other strangers was horrible. I have sweat less running 3 miles at the gym.It took too long. I would think Carnival could find a better way to do this.

Blue Iguana Cantina- I am from Texas so I know breakfast Tacos. Didn't like the food at all.

Last of my dislikes, the heartburn and extra 6 pounds I gained on the ship>>>

TIPs:::

Bring a lanyard for your Sail and Sign.

Arrive at the pier super early and be on the boat by 1230.

Do a little research before paying for Carnival shore excursions. We took a cab to Chankanaab in Cozumel for 12 dollars each way and paid 21 dollars a piece for admission. We bought our own goggles and towels with us. Big savings!! The cabs in Cozumel are plenty and they seem like they have mastered getting people around the island efficiently. I had no fear what so ever of missing the ship.

Side note: While in Cozumel the Magic was also in Port. That ship looked amazing.

Overall, we had a great family vacation and we loved the Triumph. It was clean and well maintained with lots of exciting spaces. The ship was full to capacity, but never felt crowded. Cant wait to cruise again.

Thanks for posting this review. I have sailed with Carnival many times but never on the Triumph so this helped me a lot! My family and I are boarding the Triumph in 51 days and taking our kids for the 1st time. We are ecstatic. I do have a question for you:

1- Sounds like you liked the Lido more than the MDR but do you happen to know if they had the new American Table Menus. Or do you happen to have a copy of what the nightly MDR menu was?

Also, I have wondered about the drink package scenario you mentioned... I am curious! I do not take offense to it at all and glad it worked out for you!

And yes... I am now craving a Guy's burger for lunch! Just 51 more days... I think I can, I think I can!

Thanks again for posting! :D