Eurodam Viking Passage September 2015 Review

TeDaKi

Day 8: Tórshavn, Faroe Islands continued ...

Another village near Gjógv we visited was Funningur. It is small with a turf roof church which is very similar to the Kollafjørður church.

Funningur Church:

P1020985_zpsg3bkb3hv.jpg

On the way back to Torshavn, we stopped off at a village called Saksun, which is located at the end of a road. There is a waterfall and a church there which makes for very nice photos.

Saksun:

P1030012_zpspkw3wenf.jpg

P1030019_zpsadjfactw.jpg

P1030028_zpsadjfqt78.jpg

P1030032_zpscvv0wv8v.jpg

P1030027_zps5j7pqcjw.jpg

Day 8: Tórshavn, Faroe Islands continued ...

We drove back to Torshavn, fuelling up the car on the way, and arrived back at the port at 16:05. We parked the car in the same place, left the car unlocked with the keys in the glove box. I quickly used the free wifi to check up some emails and we then got back on-board the ship before the 16:30 all aboard.

We had a quick snack at the Lido, headed outside for sailaway, where it was foggy and very windy at first. The sailaway was very scenic and it really reminded me of the coastline on the west coast of Ireland.

Goodbye Torshavn! Next stop: Ísafjörður :

P1030045_zpsxmx4nqda.jpg

P1030064_zpsuvqbtqho.jpg

P1030100_zpslyb7fdfk.jpg

P1030115_zpsmf5gu7b2.jpg

P1030142_zpsnhyeeiqc.jpg

After a while when we were back out in open sea, it got quite rocky with the ship swaying from side to side and up and down. Dinner at the Rembrandt Dining Room was quiet when we entered at around 20:30.

Day 9: Cruising at sea (SEA DAY 2)

Weather: Raining most of the day, clear by evening. Max temperature 8C / 46F

At 02:00AM, the clocks went back one hour. Not much to report of today, just a relaxing day at sea. It was raining outside all day since morning. This evening’s dress suggestion was the second gala night, but we didn’t bring any dressy clothes so we ate in the Lido instead.

The sky had cleared by evening and there was a beautiful sunset.

P1030203_zpsqfkovuum.jpg

The sky was looking good for the Northern Lights. Just after sunset, we went up on the top deck and could see a glow of light in the distance.

P1030234_zpsnig5pgxq.jpg

Unfortunately fog quickly started to cover the ship. And, it remained foggy for the rest of the night, so unfortunately, no good Northern Lights sightings tonight!

At this stage, we thought we had seen the Northern Lights and we were convincing ourselves that we had! But little did we know that in a few night's time, it would be fantastic!

Day 10: Ísafjörður, Iceland (Anchored 08:00-16:00)

Weather: Overcast, low clouds. Max temperature 6C / 43F

Free wifi: Tourist information kiosk near the tender dock

Woke up at 07:15AM and up to the Lido for breakfast at 07:30. It was a little busy but easy to get a table. This was a tender port. We picked up our tender tickets at the Queen’s Lounge and waited about 20 minutes to be called to the tender. The ship was anchored out a good bit from the tender dock. We were off the tender at exactly 09:00. A Hertz staff member was waiting for us with our pre-booked rental car, and we were on the road by 09:10.

Ísafjörður Harbour:

P1030244_zpsa0vqfqvy.jpg

Our rented car for the day : Toyota Yaris

P1030429_zps7xothz9i.jpg

Our first stop was to see the Thonguskogur Waterfall, just outside Ísafjörður, which was very pretty. We were the only people there. We soon saw a tour bus coming, so we took all our photos, and left before they arrived! It's always good to be ahead of the tour buses!

Thonguskogur Waterfall:

P1030252_zpsnglxc9oo.jpg

Next stop was Suðureyri, a village at the end of a fjord. It was small, but nice to see.

P1030278_zps1isnbftm.jpg

P1030305_zps7ldtjujm.jpg

P1030307_zpsfze8cq0i.jpg

Day 10: Ísafjörður continued ...

Next up was a village called Flateyri. It has a nice church, a lovely view of the mountains, a nice harbour, a museum and a shop.

Flateyri:

P1030341_zpsr2dsiz5e.jpg

Flateyri Church:

P1030354_zpsd7bknxe9.jpg

Inside the church:

P1030344_zps0tup2vgd.jpg

Harbour and mountains:

P1030376_zpsvcmso0sz.jpg

More turf grass roofs!

P1030324_zpscjr7tpmk.jpg

Driving back along a fjord:

P1030312_zpspmw0f8hc.jpg

Then, we headed back towards Ísafjörður and drove along the Isafjord to get a view of the Eurodam anchored in the fjord.

P1030460_zpszvvz5q9s.jpg

One of Eurodam's tenders:

P1030490_zpslz9wvcjw.jpg

P1030497_zpsza71lfim.jpg

The Eurodam looks tiny in this big fjord!

P1030500_zpskv9og5r0.jpg

We then drove to Bolungarvik village, north of Ísafjörður, which has a nice church on a hill.

P1030528_zpsnx7eiacc.jpg

P1030521_zpsnbfuam4b.jpg

Then, it was back to Ísafjörður where we had a walk around the town. Some shops (mainly tourist shops) were open, but others were closed because it was Sunday.

P1030562_zpsomne5lz7.jpg

P1030548_zpshet8uhqd.jpg

P1030568_zpsxx6nzr5g.jpg

P1030574_zps9avhu6ow.jpg

We returned the car to the port and were back on the ship at 14:30.

Before sailaway at 16:00, we had burgers and fries at Dive In and they were delicious.

Sailaway was scenic, but very cold outside and because it was so windy, there was a wind chill.

Goodbye Ísafjörður! Next stop: Reykjavik

P1030659_zps5roallij.jpg

Tonight, for dinner, we decided to dine early at the Lido buffet and get an early night because we would be getting up early the next morning for our day in Reykjavik.

Day 11: Reykjavík, Iceland (Docked 08:00-18:00)

Weather: Partly cloudy. Max temperature 12C / 53F

Free wifi: Tourist Information Centre at the dock. (Only free for 20 minutes)

I woke up to my phone's alarm clock at 06:15AM. I checked the bridge cam on the TV and saw Reykjavik in the distance. We were up in the Lido at 06.30 for breakfast and it was surprisingly quiet. But, it started to get busy and by 07.00, it was chaotic. At 08.00, we went down to the Atrium, but the ship still wasn't cleared. There was only a short delay and we were amongst the first passengers off, at 08.10.

Alongside in Reykjavik:

P1030665_zpsvy8vzxpm.jpg

Once again, we were making our own excursion arrangements for the day. We had pre-booked a rental car with Europcar for pick-up at 08.30. Unfortunately, we did not have a positive experience with them. While making the booking several months ago, I was told that the car would be delivered at the dock and that Europcar staff would be in a kiosk beside the Tourist Information Centre. When we disembarked, there was no sign of any Europcar staff. So we thought that because we were off early, they weren't here yet.

Then, it was 08.30 and still no sign of them. We decided to ask the people at the Tourist Information Centre to see if they knew anything, so they rang Europcar's office for us and said that a van was on the way to pick us up! What? A van to pick us up? But I booked the car to be delivered at the dock! So we kept waiting and still no van. We met an Australian couple, who booked a car for delivery at the harbour for 08.00 and were also not happy with this. Eventually at 08.55, we saw a Europcar van. The driver stepped off and told us to hop in. He actually looked like he just woke up, so we figured that he must have overslept. We asked him about the situation, but he let on he didn't understand us. He drove us to the Europcar office about 7 minutes away. The staff at the office did not know what we were talking about when we said that the cars should have been at the harbour. But, they did say that we could drop off the car at the cruise port. There was still no apology or anything like that. Because they were wasting our time, I would not recommend Europcar in Reykjavik. But I would recommend Hertz, as they have a rental office at the cruise ship dock. We picked up our car and were on the road at 09.15.

Our rented car for the day: Nissan Pulsar

P1030779_zpsvygu5rpp.jpg

Today, we had decided to tour the Golden Circle, visiting Gullfoss Waterfall, Geysir and Thingvellir National Park, and finish off in Reykjavik. All I can say is that Iceland is amazing. The scenery is fantastic on the Golden Circle route. Despite the delay with picking up the car, we arrived at our farthest point, Gullfoss Waterfall, at around 10:50. It was really nice and you could walk down near the waterfall and feel the spray from the water. We spent around 30 minutes here.

P1030703_zpswckexbdc.jpg

P1030707_zpsy5oldwjx.jpg

P1030763_zpszmblqpna.jpg

Some mountains in the distance:

P1030701_zpsb92qhbkf.jpg

Day 11: Reykjavík continued ...

Then, our next stop was Geysir. This was really cool and reminded me so much of Yellowstone National Park in the US. The Strokkur geyser is the most active one and it shoots up water every few minutes - it is very unpredictable and quick, so you better have your camera ready! In total, we saw Strokkur erupt 5 times. We spent around 50 minutes here.

P1030786_zpsu71yl4za.jpg

P1030798_zpsibnnyp2c.jpg

P1030828_zpsakjycxp4.jpg

P1030869_zpsxdeqjdt4.jpg

P1030871_zps6lzbfbm5.jpg

P1030872_zpskj2sjzqx.jpg

We then drove back through Thingvellir National Park, and stopped to take some photos along the road of the beautiful and unusual landscape.

P1030917_zpsfcsed0rn.jpg

We stopped at a place which overlooks the National Park's lake and also where you can walk through the crack between the European and American plates! That was so interesting! In total, we spent about 40 minutes here.

P1030952_zps7i9t85yo.jpg

P1030950_zpshmvzq1xt.jpg

P1030978_zpslbpwy2zl.jpg

Then it was back to Reykjavik where we arrived at 15:00. We parked our car for free at the Hallgrimskirke car park.

Hallgrimskirke:

P1040097_zpsixclcapj.jpg

Inside the church:

P1030986_zpsxjtxai2z.jpg

Very interesting about your car rentals. Had you booked far, far in advance? Were you the driver? The roads look good from your photographs. Did you organize maps, etc., ahead of time and plan your routes, or just pick up tourist maps in the ports?

After visiting the church, we then walked along the main shopping street, saw the lake, the city hall, concert hall and a modern Viking ship structure.

Hallgrimskirkja:

P1040005_zpsttlce5fd.jpg

Shopping street:

P1040009_zpsr8ovkchp.jpg

Lake Tjornin:

P1040023_zpsuavekldt.jpg

Unusual statue:

P1040033_zps46e9at4o.jpg

Concert Hall:

P1040043_zpsxwbqa2ab.jpg

Viking boat structure (Solfar Sun Voyager):

P1040079_zpsrfcd3li5.jpg

We got back to the car park at 16:45, topped up the car with petrol and returned it to the port by 17:00. We were back on the ship a few minutes later.

P1040102_zpsrjn6v82t.jpg

We got some snacks at the Lido to keep us going until dinner. Before sailaway, the captain came on to say that he expects some rough seas for this evening, overnight and tomorrow and advised us to hold onto the handrails.

Sailaway at 18:00 was nice. It was very quiet on the outside decks. We could see the surrounding mountains and the city of Reykjavik.

P1040108_zpsbkfaeqwq.jpg

P1040126_zpssgy4aji5.jpg

Reykjavik:

P1040197_zps42yz078c.jpg

We went to the dining room for dinner at around 20.30 and were seated with no waiting. The dining room was actually very quiet tonight.

Afterwards, we went outside at about 22:00, up to the top decks to look for Northern Lights. We could only see a glow of light as it was cloudy, so unfortunately, no good Northern Lights either tonight!

Very interesting about your car rentals. Had you booked far, far in advance? Were you the driver? The roads look good from your photographs. Did you organize maps, etc., ahead of time and plan your routes, or just pick up tourist maps in the ports?

We booked all of our car rentals back in March / April and there was lots of availability back then.

Before we left home, we knew where we were going to go in each of the ports and which routes we were going to take. I generally use googlemaps at home before we leave, print them out and bring them with me. It is a lot of preparation work, but worth it!

Yes, we thought the roads were very good. I didn't drive myself, my dad drove and I was the navigator reading the maps and giving the directions! The driving was very easy with everyplace well signed and the roads were quiet too.

Day 12: Cruising at sea (SEA DAY 3)

Weather: Overcast. Max temperature 9C / 48F

At 02:00AM, the clocks went back one hour. I woke up around 07:10AM and the ship was still swaying away. We went to the Lido for breakfast at 09:30 and it was fairly quiet. We heard the Captain's daily announcement during lunch in the Rembrandt. It was difficult to hear, but I did hear him say that the sea swells were about 15 to 20 feet, so it certainly wasn't too bad at all for this part of the Atlantic Ocean in mid-September.

Jon Sigurdsson, the guest speaker from Iceland, presented a talk on Prins Christian Sund, Qaqortoq and Nanortalik at 14:00. We arrived at the Mainstage at 13:20 and the seats were filling up fast. At 13:40, the theatre was full, so I recommend that you arrive well ahead of time for Jon's talks as they were extremely popular.

At 15:00, we headed to the Main Dining Room for the Royal Dutch High Tea. There was a long enough line when we got there. While I did like this afternoon tea, I did not find it any different to any other standard afternoon tea, but it was still great.

We headed up to the Rembrandt Dining Room for dinner at 20.30 and were finished by 21:30. It was very quiet.

We then decided to go up on the top deck to look for Northern Lights. The sky was completely clear, and there they were, the Northern Lights!

It was amazing. I have never seen them before. I was always wondering what they were like in real life, because on videos of them, the Northern Lights seem to twinkle and move quickly through the sky. I always thought that the videos were in fast motion, but no, they really do move fast and twinkle. At one point, they got really bright and it was like they came and hovered right over the ship. It was like you could reach out and touch them – amazing!

I took lots of photos, but my camera couldn't capture them effectively. They don't look fantastic on the photos, but these were the best ones I got:

P1040312_zpsnrejyty7.jpg

P1040334_zpspwvguysn.jpg

P1040354_zps1vfugz82.jpg

P1040324_zpsexushwlt.jpg

P1040356_zps8syyoig0.jpg

P1040357_zpso3ujwztd.jpg

It only lasted for about 20 minutes, then they faded away, clouds started to fill the sky and they were gone!