LAX to a hotel to Carnival dock

fuzzyfl

Help. First time going to Calif. Don't know the logistics of getting from LAX to an overnight hotel (in the Long Beach area), hopefully that will offer a shuttle to the port. Any suggestions for transport (no car) and a good neighborhood for hotel. All suggestions will be appreciated.

Never stayed overnight in LA so don't know about that but you can find a hotel on line with prices and reviews (LA airport) They will pick you up and bring you back to the airport. (free) I think a taxi from an airport hotel to the pier would be very expensive. We have used Red Vans (Prime Time) r/t LAX numerous times and found them to be reliable at around $26pp each way.

The West Coast Departure board has tons of info.

The two closest to the port are the Queen Mary (walking) and The Maya (1 mile walk, there is a shuttle)

Taxi runs about $75. Shared Shuttle would be $17/pp.

When are you cruising? The cheapest way is not the easiest. In December the Flyaway is servicing Long Beach ($7/pp). Then you'd transfer to the free Passport bus.

Edited by SadieN

When I'm not touring the area, and just getting to a cruise, I just stay at a Lax airport hotel- usually the La Quinta (convenient, great service and rates, next to MacDonalds, across the street is a Subway, plus a couple independent food options) Free shuttle LAX to hotel.

Cruise day- I go back to the airport, and use Primetime to the ship. Have used them many times, with good service. Sometimes, not on the dot, time wise, but I'm accepting of that. :) Plus the good rates.

We have sailed out of this port twice, tons of options to get there as SadieN wrote. We always searched out a shuttle service and booked it in advance. We never had any problems getting to the port. As for hotels, the first stay was a few blocks away from the downtown core and was kind of sketchy. The second time we stayed at the Residence Inn Long Beach Downtown, and it was great. The closer to downtown Long Beach the better, the inner harbor alway has tons to see and do.

Never stayed overnight in LA so don't know about that but you can find a hotel on line with prices and reviews (LA airport) They will pick you up and bring you back to the airport. (free) I think a taxi from an airport hotel to the pier would be very expensive. We have used Red Vans (Prime Time) r/t LAX numerous times and found them to be reliable at around $26pp each way.

I always advise to NOT stay at a LAX hotel unless you have an early morning flight out. It's such a dicey area (think strip malls in the literal sense:eek:).

I'm guessing your thread was moved to the western destinations board so if you're now here, do a search on BruinSteve's posts here. He lists recommendations for hotels in the Long Beach area. None of the hotels will shuttle you from the airport (too far of a distance), but you can jump on one of the shuttle buses (I did have a major bad experience with PT when I pre-booked, so I'll never go with them again), or spend a little more money (Exeucar, Karmel, Lotus) and get a private vehicle to take you directly there. But as you're unfamiliar with Los Angeles, you don't want to book blindly and based on price as you may end up in a dicey area that's just as bad as the airport area.

Please trust us native Angelenos when we suggest to post here with some possible hotels (and their areas) so we can help you avoid making a mistake.