Oasis vs. Getaway

investmjhl

We are looking to book a 7 day cruise and we have only cruised on RC (emerald). Our agent has suggested that we look at the Norwegian Getaway vs the Oasis which we have been on once and loved it. The Getaway for the week we are looking at is about $1800 cheaper for the family (4) for a balcony room. We have read all the reviews but they haven’t really help with our decisions can anyone help us spend our money wisely? Kids are 13 & 11.

Thanks in advance!

We are looking to book a 7 day cruise and we have only cruised on RC (emerald). Our agent has suggested that we look at the Norwegian Getaway vs the Oasis which we have been on once and loved it. The Getaway for the week we are looking at is about $1800 cheaper for the family (4) for a balcony room. We have read all the reviews but they haven’t really help with our decisions can anyone help us spend our money wisely? Kids are 13 & 11.

Thanks in advance!

We have been on both ships - Some might think by looking at my history, I am just being a NCL fan, but we have traveled with children, and of course, met many other cruisers with families.

The Getaway has an abundance of activities for 11 & 13 year olds, the "club" for this age is impressive - Plus climbing wall/walk the plank, the most amazing water slides at sea. There are a multitude of restaurants that teens will love - Tempanakye is a show in itself. Speaking of entertainment - the nightly entertainment in the Atrium, theaters and themed parties around the ship are top-notch and non-stop. The Illusionarium is a MUST SEE! Our neighbors on our Getaway Cruise were laughing and joking about "not seeing their teens all week". :D

The Oasis looked amazing online although, everything is "inside" centered around Central Park & Park Avenue. In the evenings, there are no areas to just wander and enjoy entertainment. The comedy show and "kids clubs" seemed like an afterthought, just a bland room. Broadwalk is a too juvenile for 11&13 year olds. I had heard about this problem on CC before, but finally experienced groups of teens just "hanging out" in the hallways and stairwells in the evenings. The flow rider looked fun but was always very crowded. Our Oasis neighbors teens, who were avid cruisers,

Also, if you look at the deckplans of each ship, the Oasis is all "inside", there is limited areas (decks) OUTSIDE just to stroll, play ping-pong, shuffleboard, etc. Most Oasis restaurants had good food but rarely an ocean view, could have done them on shore. A few of the Getaway specialty restaurants even have outside dining! And ohhh the bakery beats RCL $3.00 cupcakes hands down!:D Caution: The Getaway also has an abundance of Soft Serve, do-it-yourself ice cream machines.

Seeing you are considering the extra $$ for the Oasis - you might check out Getaway Haven suites - my grandson went bonkers over the private pool & hot tubs, and the butler bringing M&M's and Gummy Worms l:D

Either way a family cruise is very Cool!

JMO - Opinions Vary

Edited by SMerritt

thanks for the great info!

I forgot - checkout NCL's casual cruising and anytime dining

Dad & boy's will not need a dark suit, tie, or tux

Mom and girls - sparkly tops and capri pants are fun in the evenings

Formal night on the Oasis was amazing, I think one lady had to pack her gown and shawl in a separate bag. Fun to see the gala attire but I am just not a very "formal" person.