Tips & Info as of Oct. 3, 2015 Empires Cruise

roothy123

Tips:

Times for excursions may be slightly different from times on My Viking Journey. That may be because of tweaks to times or to the need to "stage" people for the excursions. I haven't seen any variation more than about 20 minutes, however. Most people assemble a little early on deck 1 by grand piano and Explorers Desk, and when a tour is announced, they go downstairs to deck A to disembark. Announcements are made throughout the ship, but you'll need to open door to your stateroom to hear them if you're in your room. I propped the door open a couple times to listen to announcements, however, it's not totally necessary if you're watching the clock for tour time.

No clock in room (DV, anyway) except time is on TV and on phone. I brought a small travel alarm clock because I'm not much of a watch wearer.

You'll be taking your key card out a lot. I have a tiny thing around my neck for that, but some people just use a pocket, purse, or whatever.

Alarms can be set on your phone. Did work for us.

There is a bow (front of ship) camera that you can view on TV.

Chef's Table menu (there are 5) change every 5 days now. Don't rule out Chef's Table as being too bizarre or "not your favorite food." I didn't think I would like the "spices" menu much, but other than the little foam stuff that came first, it was pretty good. The Asian one was awesome, and I'm not even that crazy about Asian food. I was told that if you really don't like the meal, you can ask your waiter for something else.

Don't be alarmed if you get the tips showing up on your bill mid-cruise. I get alerts from my credit card for int'l transactions and the charge through me for the loop until my husband asked if it could be the gratuities.

In Athens, allow an extra 15 minutes to get from the outside of the port to on board the ship. There is a busy, thorough security line to pass through (plus show key card) and, at least in our case today, a shuttle bus from the port terminal to near the ship. There are two terminals in Piraeus; know which one you need if you go out by yourself.

Can't play bocce ball unless you're in port. It bothered people on 8 so that's a new rule. They take the balls away when the ship leaves a port.

For your birthday or anniversary, if you let them know in advance, they will bring you a little cake or dessert.

Take some euro or local coins with you in case you need them for restrooms. We needed 50 euro cents in Santorini at a stop.

Cape Sounion Temple of Poseidon tour today ($49) was awesome - only 12 of us on the tour and bus, got there before big tour groups got there. Was able to do the 3rd (afternoon) panoramic Athens tour (free). Had 50 minutes on the ship to eat in between tours. Included tour was mostly on the bus, but we saw a lot, and stopped and got out twice. Poseidon tour is about 4 hours long but involves around an hour's drive to the cape, plus hour back, so if you don't want bus trips, not a great choice. We both loved it, though, and were given plenty of good info and sights on the way there and back. Guide was excellent, as all of the guides have been. Port is a big place but there were plenty of Viking people there to guide us. First you might be put on a shuttle to the outside of the port, where the buses come. Then you're on your way with guide. I enjoyed both tours, but of course, if you want to do more walking and see more, the included Athens tour may seem a little lean. Hard to do a lot in one day, though. There were 22 people on the afternoon panoramic (free) Athens tour.Big bus, plenty of room. Thanos, guide, was great.

As is common on cruise ships that offer transportation to airports, you'll probably have to leave pretty early on disembarkation day. Istanbul, I've heard, is one city in which a lot of time is needed, as traffic is terrible, plus the airport takes a LOT of time to navigate.

Don't be surprised if your passports are taken by the ship for a while, especially if your itinerary calls for you to go to a non-EU country to a EU country or vice versa. Also, don't be surprised if you're asked for ID in certain ports, in addition to your key card. I took my driver's license out in each port, but left my passport in the safe.

Don't be alarmed if you smell fuel when embarking. They may be taking on fuel.

We had one night of rough seas (it happens on ocean cruises). It bothered some people, but not us. Some people were worried.

Viking will put an "onboard" time in the daily paper. In cases where you tender, this usually represents the time of the last tender, but you should check to make sure that's the case. For non tender ports, keep in mind it may take time to navigate the ports. For example, you may have to stand in line for security. There were 5 ships in Athens today - and more in Venice last week.

Might want to take a photo vest or something with lots of pockets. Once you put in the Quiet Vox box, ID stuff, cameras, etc. you can get loaded down and disorganized.

Charge the Vox boxes nightly, plus turn them off after each tour.

Can order room service for breakfast by putting out a door hanger the night before.

Coffee maker in room was a little confusing to me - might want one of your room attendants to demonstrate it. Water pressure in shower is great - just turn on the water a little and that will likely be enough. If you blast it, you'll have a flood.

Mamsens and World Cafe have some utensils at various places on the lines, but you won't need those, as there are regular place settings everywhere. In World Cafe, someone will come around to ask if you want water, juice, wine, (L & D) etc. - no need to grab on the line. Wine is ample, though I can't comment on quality (not a wine drinker).

Take the ship agent phone number and ship number with you if you go ashore. This info is printed in the daily paper. If you think you'll be late, call either number to ask for help.

There are plenty of books around, but most are not what you're likely to want to read. Bring paperbacks, Kindle/Nook things to read instead.

There are extra copies of daily papers at Explorers Desk, plus little brochures on port and shopping info for some ports, plus a map for each port. Not very detailed, however - might want to bring your own if you're independent like me.

Most shows in Star theater are around 6:30 and 9:15, so don't interfere with dinner.

I really can't think of anything that has gone wrong or been the least bit disappointing to me except that we lost internet for a day. Some people were freaked out by the rough night, but stuff like that happens, so if you're an experienced ocean cruiser, you know that.

Haven't seen the special shows in Torshavn, but hear they're good. MUST have tix in advance unless there are no-shows.

Captain is awesome; cruise director low keyed but quite good; general manager is great. service and food is wonderful. Salmon in The Restaurant was poor and there's an occasional miss in World Cafe, but you won't starve. Room service is a bit limited, but we seldom use that, anyway, so I could care less.

Passengers have been great - lots of North Americans, smattering of others. Older crowd, and not many experienced ocean cruisers, but haven't met anyone i didn't like. Everyone seems to be having a great time.

More later....hope that helps at least a bit. We have a half day at sea tomorrow after Kusadasii/Ephesus, so will try to post a few pictures and more tips/impressions. Also, just for perspective, I haven't cruised the world, and never on a luxury line like Silverseas, but I have done a good anount of ocean cruising - 90% on Oceania. I've been really impressed with Viking Oceans.

I'm sitting here watching the port talk for Kusadasi/Ephesus. There is a LOT of good info in there, so one more tip would be to watch those in person or on the TV as a rerun.

Since I'm on a roll, here's more info:

For getting off the ship, or to go to the Explorers Desk, just push the "Gangway" button in the elevator.

Have your key card out when you get ready to exit the ship; grab a bottle of water right before you give your card to security to scan. Have it ready when you get on a tender boat. Have excursion tickets out before you get to security. Usually you'll be asked to show it - perhaps there have been some cheaters or some confusion; I don't know.

It can be cool in the morning but it has almost always warmed up quickly. I haven't taken any light jacket because I know I'll regret it in an hour or so, especially on a walking tour.

Weather here Venice to Istanbul has been perfect; no jacket needed. Inside the ship, on occasion it has been a little cool in The Restaurant and a couple other areas, but I've only been cold once, and only a little bit. If you have anything really light to have with you, that might be a good idea. Also, you may get on a bus that is too cool.

We've been tipping the local guides and bus drivers, but it's optional. They have been excellent. I guess we've averaged around $5=6 in local currency (although I suppose dollars, CDN or US) are OK.

In Kusadasi, I hear there are multiple key card checks by security in the port terminal - or at least that's what the Cruise Director has just stated!

I have a picture of the wonderful desk in our room, and will post that tomorrow. It has compartments, something we've never had before. It's great for all sorts of doodads. It also contains a lighted mirror. The only thing you need to be careful about is what you put on top of it, as you need to be able to raise and lower it. Keep papers, binocs, etc. on the desk part, not the part you raise up.

Pool deck got crowded on our sea day, but there were plenty of loungers one deck above, plus some nice couches with pads. This ship really does feel homey.

8th deck Explorers Lounge is great for fewer people, good view outside. However, if you want to go outside for photography, you have to go downstairs and out.

There are a couple places where you can get outside quickly for photography. For example, behind the pool grill is one. The 360 path is lightly used but nice to walk. I love deck 2, aft, for a quiet, sheltered spot for photography.

The infinity pool has gotten a good amount of use. I believe it's fresh water, whereas the regular pool is saltwater - I think! I have been in to see the spa, snow grotto, etc., but haven't done more than look.

They're showing movies on occasion in the theater, but I haven't been to any. There's a good amount of stuff on the TVs in the cabins.

Don't be surprised if your doorbell rings, or if you enter a restroom and birds chirp, or if the painting on the wall in Chef's Table changes! Fun stuff!

Haven't eaten in The Restaurant much, but when we did, around 7:15, there was a wait of 5-10 minutes to be seated. Manfredi's was great, but quite honestly, I really liked the Chef's Table - much less crowded, interesting food, and yes, it's definitely cultural immersion. Themed music, as well - Indian tonight to go along with the spice theme. Don't shun it until you try it!

Don't know if there's margarine - haven't seen any. However, there's plenty of iced tea, sweet or otherwise. Food is good to fantastic.

Laundry is great; so is the free internet. I even sent a couple low resolution pictures in an email tonight. The pc's near the explorers desk are lightly used, so I guess most people are using their own devices - or just enjoying their vacation and not tethered to the internet!

If you have specific questions, just ask. If I have time, I'll try to answer them, although there is a lot I haven't had time or inclination to try. (Sorry).

Thanks for this thread Roothy, just what we need! I'm bookmarking it for future reference.

Update - we have got Milo locked in for a 4 hour tour on our day in Kotor in March 2016!

He seems like a lovely man just by his emails.

Elaine from New Zealand

I'm sitting here watching the port talk for Kusadasi/Ephesus. There is a LOT of good info in there, so one more tip would be to watch those in person or on the TV as a rerun.

Since I'm on a roll, here's more info:

For getting off the ship, or to go to the Explorers Desk, just push the "Gangway" button in the elevator.

Have your key card out when you get ready to exit the ship; grab a bottle of water right before you give your card to security to scan. Have it ready when you get on a tender boat. Have excursion tickets out before you get to security. Usually you'll be asked to show it - perhaps there have been some cheaters or some confusion; I don't know.

It can be cool in the morning but it has almost always warmed up quickly. I haven't taken any light jacket because I know I'll regret it in an hour or so, especially on a walking tour.

Weather here Venice to Istanbul has been perfect; no jacket needed. Inside the ship, on occasion it has been a little cool in The Restaurant and a couple other areas, but I've only been cold once, and only a little bit. If you have anything really light to have with you, that might be a good idea. Also, you may get on a bus that is too cool.

We've been tipping the local guides and bus drivers, but it's optional. They have been excellent. I guess we've averaged around $5=6 in local currency (although I suppose dollars, CDN or US) are OK.

In Kusadasi, I hear there are multiple key card checks by security in the port terminal - or at least that's what the Cruise Director has just stated!

I have a picture of the wonderful desk in our room, and will post that tomorrow. It has compartments, something we've never had before. It's great for all sorts of doodads. It also contains a lighted mirror. The only thing you need to be careful about is what you put on top of it, as you need to be able to raise and lower it. Keep papers, binocs, etc. on the desk part, not the part you raise up.

Pool deck got crowded on our sea day, but there were plenty of loungers one deck above, plus some nice couches with pads. This ship really does feel homey.

8th deck Explorers Lounge is great for fewer people, good view outside. However, if you want to go outside for photography, you have to go downstairs and out.

There are a couple places where you can get outside quickly for photography. For example, behind the pool grill is one. The 360 path is lightly used but nice to walk. I love deck 2, aft, for a quiet, sheltered spot for photography.

The infinity pool has gotten a good amount of use. I believe it's fresh water, whereas the regular pool is saltwater - I think! I have been in to see the spa, snow grotto, etc., but haven't done more than look.

They're showing movies on occasion in the theater, but I haven't been to any. There's a good amount of stuff on the TVs in the cabins.

Don't be surprised if your doorbell rings, or if you enter a restroom and birds chirp, or if the painting on the wall in Chef's Table changes! Fun stuff!

Haven't eaten in The Restaurant much, but when we did, around 7:15, there was a wait of 5-10 minutes to be seated. Manfredi's was great, but quite honestly, I really liked the Chef's Table - much less crowded, interesting food, and yes, it's definitely cultural immersion. Themed music, as well - Indian tonight to go along with the spice theme. Don't shun it until you try it!

Don't know if there's margarine - haven't seen any. However, there's plenty of iced tea, sweet or otherwise. Food is good to fantastic.

Laundry is great; so is the free internet. I even sent a couple low resolution pictures in an email tonight. The pc's near the explorers desk are lightly used, so I guess most people are using their own devices - or just enjoying their vacation and not tethered to the internet!

If you have specific questions, just ask. If I have time, I'll try to answer them, although there is a lot I haven't had time or inclination to try. (Sorry).

Tips for Kusadasi/Ephesus: "Koosh uh das uh" (F uh sus)

When we woke up today, we were in Asia!

We took the included "gentle tour" of Ephesus, and I don't remember which time I signed up for initially. However, we were assigned to the last tour, meeting at 9. For all excursions, you need to check the tour number (usually title and A1 or whatever) on your tickets soon after you board. Then you'll need to check the daily paper delivered the night before each port for the meeting time. It's normally maybe 15 minutes or so before the time found on My Viking Journey. In other words, they are "staging" the tours before they go out. Ours went out exactly at 9. We all walked together downstairs from 1 to A to disembark. Usually tickets are checked to make sure you're on the right tour. Then you grab your water and give your key card to the security person (either side, with water on both sides) and follow the guide outside. There are Viking people outside, plus (in our case; not positive it will be same forever) orange-shirted people to make sure people get out of the terminal and to the bus. It's maybe a 3-4 minute stroll (nobody raced ahead) to the buses, or you could pay 2 euros for a pedicab to take 2 people from the ship to the port exit. We all walked. Half the buses there (at least) were going to Ephesus for the included walk (Gentle Journey), so if you want to be with a group, arrive at the buses at the same time. If not, they'll just load up the buses first come first served. You're all going to the same place. Notice who's on your bus, as the guide has to go to the ticket office to buy tickets and if you're a slow walker and it's crowded, it's a bit confusing. Remember your bus number and what your guide looks like. Make sure your Quiet Vox boxes are on and then you're set. The tour guide company provides another person to kind of keep track of everyone. That person was wearing a white shirt and black pants and hung around behind the group. I thought he was a security person until I realized there was one such person for each Viking group. If you're not sure where your group is, just look for him way to the side of the walkway, as he follows the group. You'll also know if your guide is WAY far ahead if you can't hear her/him anymore (because of the boxes). It was really jammed. If you're a bit afraid of being separated, however, just stick close to the guide and you'll be fine. I'm a roamer, so I had a couple "Where is she?" moments until I saw the white shirted man or the balloon sign.

Ephesus is about a half hour away, and the guide narrates while you're being driven. She/he gives all sorts of good info. Ours was good and spoke great English - all guides so far have been great. They are all professional tour guides, but I think the Viking red jacketed people are all Viking employees (contractors?)

We were in port with a 2K Norwegian ship and another 1000 pax on two small ships. I talked to someone who had been here before and she said it was worse when she was there before. The guide gives a lot of info, and walks slowly, and there are places to sit down, so it's kind of long and hard and hot, but works out fine. There was a woman alone with a cane and she managed fine. Just be careful walking around, especially on steps.

We had some time on our own to walk around, but it wasn't a lot, plus I was a bit hot and tired, so I just went back to the bus.There are places to buy "genuine fake watches" and stuff, plus a WC, by the exit.

I talked to someone else who did the expanded tour (but not the "homes") and it was his opinion that the basic gentle journey would have been enough for him. Both tours see the Library of Celsus (spelling?), which many consider the highlight. In all these tours, assuming you travel when it's still warm, you have to know your limits. I've found that the included tours are fine for me. Ephesus was pretty amazing. We've been to Pompei (spelling?) and Rome, but this was still amazing. I talked to someone who had been to Ephesus before and she said it was worse when she was there before. The guide gives a lot of info, and walks slowly, and there are places to sit down, so it's kind of long and hard and hot, but works out fine. There was woman alone with a cane and she managed fine.

After Ephesus, Viking arranged for us to see a carpet weaving demo for 20 minutes, but we passed on that and ducked out, as we were in easy walking distance of the port.

Port has tons of shopping nearby, plus restaurants. Don't be late getting back. This is second day in a row that names have been called over the loudspeaker on the ship that a certain person should call security. Hope nobody was left behind. It's up to the Captain...or sometimes the port if the pier is needed!

Prepare to show your key card 2 or 3 times to get in and through the port terminal, plus there's an x-ray check. Not sure if this is how it is normally, increased due to the Syrian migrant immigrant situation, or what. It was no big deal, but thought I'd mention it to remind people that they need to be back on the ship by a certain time, and it often takes a while to do that when port terminals are involved.

Free thasso spa is calling me know. Never been in one - other cruise lines charge for it (boo hiss!) Then I'll check out the snow grotto....

Thanks Roothy for all your tips and comments on this and other threads. We are on the Mediterranean Odyssey from Venice to Barcelona starting Nov. 26th. We are expecting it will be a little chilly in the beginning but after all the heat we have had in California this year we are ready for cooler temperatures. This will be our third Viking cruise since April 2014. The others were River cruises (Danube Waltz and Waterways of the Tsars). Both were excellent. We had never wanted to go on a large cruise ship and think that Viking Star might be the perfect size for us. We are looking forward to more space and places to hang out, more dining options, the Spa and fitness facilities and the chance to see more places. We are spending three days in Rome and Florence prior,to the cruise and two extra days in Barcelona at the end. Enjoy the rest of your cruise and thanks again for taking time to post along the way.

James and Anne

Roothy,

Just need to clarify something you have posted:

"Then you grab your water and give your key card to the security person (either side, with water on both sides) and follow the guide outside"

Further into you post:

"Prepare to show your key card 2 or 3 times to get in and through the port terminal, plus there's an x-ray check."

Does this mean that the security person retains your key card or just checks it & returns it to you?:confused:

Despite my confusion over the above, just love all your tips & comments - all very helpful & informative, so please keep them coming.:D

Roothy,

Just need to clarify something you have posted:

"Then you grab your water and give your key card to the security person (either side, with water on both sides) and follow the guide outside"

Further into you post:

"Prepare to show your key card 2 or 3 times to get in and through the port terminal, plus there's an x-ray check."

Does this mean that the security person retains your key card or just checks it & returns it to you?:confused:

Despite my confusion over the above, just love all your tips & comments - all very helpful & informative, so please keep them coming.:D

You punch out and in with your card key on the ship itself. This allows Viking to know who left and who is on board when it's time to leave. Depending on the port, you need to show your card key to various port security personel for entry to the port area and beyond.

Tips for Istanbul: Keep in mind it's a huge city. Maps make it look a lot smaller. Viking provided a shuttle to somewhere near the Grand Bazaar if you weren't doing an excursion. We did the included excursion and loved it. We walked about 2 minutes to where the buses could come, with Viking and tour company people guiding the way and telling us which bus to board. Then we were driven ariund, in horrendously slow traffic, to the new section of Istanbul plus along the waterfront. Guide was great and gave great info. There were about 35 people per bus. Two bus loads got off at an area of Eminonu (I think) and we boarded a large sightseeing boat for an hour and 20 minutes. Really enjoyed that...lots of palaces to see along the waterfront, heard call to prayer at one point, learned a lot. Same guide on boat, great narration. Lots more interesting and fun than you might think. Then we were given bags for our shoes and we visited beautiful Rusted Pasha mosque. Only our group plus other group that was on boat with us were there plus maybe 5 other tourists, plus some people in there praying. Much more intimate than Blue Mosque. Guide answered tons of questions about religion etc. The mosque was pretty casual about dress...a few men wore shorts and they were allowed in. Women had to have head scarves. Didn't see any loaner scarves but maybe they had them. Wear socks or else you'll be barefoot inside the mosque. Mosque was small and beautiful...and hard to find on your own, I suspect. Then we were taken back to port with 1 minute walk to ship.

Sailin today was great. You see the Sultanahmet area with minarets, mosques, a lighthouse, etc. We squeezed between a big Norwegian ship and a small Oceania ship. I love Oceania but I was happy to be on this fantastic cruise line and ship.

Tomorrow we disembark and have to be off the ship by 10....very generous.

By the way, a couple days into the cruise we got a letter in our rooms saying that we need a visa to leave the country. Sounds like the Turkish immigration check tomorrow will include a check to see if we have one.

Istanbul is fascinating....but if you want to bag the tour and DIY, you could at least take the shuttle to Grand Bazaar and walk a long way or take the tram to Blue Mosque area. Don't think tram token machines take anything but turkish lira, though.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Make that Rustem Pasha mosque. Auto spellcheck...ugh.

Visited spa today. I'm not much of a spa person but boy did I love it. Did everything that was free, even snow grotto and ice bucket. Just make sure you go in the right side...men or women! In big spa, it's a little hard walking to the front of it in the 4 feet of water rushing at you. However, I grabbed the side rails and that made it easier.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Roothy 123

Thanks for all your posts they have been great. We live in Columbia MD not far from you. Will be going on Viking next fall. Where did you stay in Venice? I read in your roll call several people were staying at the Hilton. How did that work out and did anyone take private water taxis from airport to Hilton Stucky and from Hilton to cruise port. I would prefer to do the Hilton on our own it is more cost effective I think. Enjoy the rest of your trip. Any other recommendations appreciated. Thank you Sunrocket

Hi, yep, we live off Fairland and 29 so I've been to Columbia a bit. I didn't really ask about the Hilton but the location seemed great. The people staying there were able to see Star when she came in, and then she was assigned to the area where mostly really small ships are assigned, so people could see it from the roof. You might just want to post on our roll call to ask about private water taxis there, plus people thought of the Hilton, etc. I can't imagne it was bad, bUT im nit picky when it comes to hotels, so best to ask someone else. Just keep in mind that Viking doesn't control where they dock so you would ideally choose a place close to San Basilio AND Marittima port area, which is nearby but served by other vaporetto and Alilaguna boats. Alilaguna goes right to Hilton from airport but it's slow. Of course, lots of things are slow in Venice..hard to get around and hard to navigate.

We are budget travelers when it comes to hotels so I chose a little place near San Marco called Hotel Rio. We loved it but doubt too many other Viking Star passengers would find it ideal...pretty basic. At least we were able to get from the airport gate to hotel in less than an hour and a half, which isn't bad for Venice!

Hi Roothy -

Your posts have been really helpful. We are on the November 16th trip from Istanbul to Venice. Do you have any helpful observations about the ports above?

Many thanks!

Hi, yep, we live off Fairland and 29 so I've been to Columbia a bit. I didn't really ask about the Hilton but the location seemed great. The people staying there were able to see Star when she came in, and then she was assigned to the area where mostly really small ships are assigned, so people could see it from the roof. You might just want to post on our roll call to ask about private water taxis there, plus people thought of the Hilton, etc. I can't imagne it was bad, bUT im nit picky when it comes to hotels, so best to ask someone else. Just keep in mind that Viking doesn't control where they dock so you would ideally choose a place close to San Basilio AND Marittima port area, which is nearby but served by other vaporetto and Alilaguna boats. Alilaguna goes right to Hilton from airport but it's slow. Of course, lots of things are slow in Venice..hard to get around and hard to navigate.

We are budget travelers when it comes to hotels so I chose a little place near San Marco called Hotel Rio. We loved it but doubt too many other Viking Star passengers would find it ideal...pretty basic. At least we were able to get from the airport gate to hotel in less than an hour and a half, which isn't bad for Venice!

Thanks Roothy cant wait for your review when you return. Have a safe

trip

I hope to post more when home. Have lots to share but my laptop wasn't cooperating in Istanbul hotels and phone is hard for me to use for more than short posts.

Can't help on other private tours as we didn't take them other than half day one in Kotor. Athens included tour was better than expected, and $49 Cape Sounion tour excellent, so we were fine with those. Ephesus one was also. Very crowded there...not much to be gained by taking a private tour except that you might have fewer people walking alongside you. But of course everyone is different ...and we are kind of on a budget, and also get tired and hot easily, so take my comments with a grain of salt.

Edited by roothy123

NJ, I will definitely post more for you in the next couple weeks. In Santorini we rented a 4 wheeled ATV, and had no troubless getting ashore in time to have a great day on the island. Opinions varied about Santorini. One person found it barren and stark (it is) and one person was appalled by trash near Mt. Profitis. We suggested that another couple rent a 4 wheeler and they did..went to Oia and loved it. We had a complete blast on the island, but then Santorini is my favorite place on earth, so didn't expect otherwise.

Pula was not most popular port but guide and tour were quite good. I mentioned long tender in another post...some tenders are like that...but not a reason to stay on the ship...in my opinion, anyway.

Forget what else you asked about, but will address rest later. Now on plane (Lufthansa) and may need to turn off phone soon. Husband counted # times we had to show passport in Istanbul and Frankfurt airports today. Would you believe 9? That includes one on the plane before being allowed on the jetway and one right before boarding our connecting flight....some of this is specific to flights going to U.S. according to one flight attendant...whew! Tons of security too...

Not really a blog, but here's the start of info and pictures of our embarkation day. Some info may be repetitive, as I forget what I posted before. Also, things could change by the time you cruise, or your itinerary will result in things being handled differently. More info and pics to follow in the days to come. Cruise was Empires of the Mediterranean, September, 27, 2015 from Venice to Istanbul. Weather was fabulous, by the way - and those traveling after us should have nice weather, I think. Walking a lot makes you warmer than you think. We got a tiny bit sunburned - be careful, even if you cruise in November or March! Also be prepared for lots of other tourists in the major cities. Venice and Dubrovnik were packed.

Getting to port of embarkation: If board in Venice & bought pre-cruise package, Viking provides transfers from airport to hotel & port. If getting to hotel or port on own, research & pre-plan how you’ll get around, as it’s a bit complicated in Venice, and all trips are long. Good online sources are Toms Port Guides & Venice for Visitors. We did airport to hotel and ship on our own and it wasn’t bad, but I DID do a lot of research before-hand, and chose hotel carefully. Be aware that in some cities, there’s more than one docking location, and multiple piers, so keep the number Viking gives you in personalized cruise booklet handy. (Sometimes ports change dock locations after brochures are printed; happened this time!) Also, just because Star docks one place in May doesn’t mean it will dock there in September – it's up to port, not Viking. Most cab drivers know or can find out where ship is docked. Make sure driver understands you want CRUISE port, (maritime or ship port?) and not airport, as the word “port” can be misunderstood. (This applies to many places in Europe, not just Venice.)

Embarkation: Might be a little different in each embarkation port and at different times, but for us it went very smoothly/quickly. We took a vaporetto from near our hotel to the San Basilio vaporetto stop. This docking location is normally only used by very small ships, but that’s where port assigned Star this time, rather than the big Maritima port with its People Mover and more walking. We got there around 1 and port or Viking reps greeted us outside terminal to take luggage. (Keep anything you need for next hour or two. Also, reps have extra bag tags if you want to leave a carryon you weren’t planning to leave. Since they promised bags within an hour, I ended up leaving my carryon and just took out my camera.)

Some port terminals require cruise documentation to enter, but San Basilio terminal did not. We checked in, read a health form, and showed passports. Our picture was taken while we stood at counter (didn’t see it being done), and we were given plastic key card to open stateroom door and to have swiped each time we went off or on ship. (It’s way cruise ship knows you’re authorized to board (in combination with picture) and whether all passengers are onboard when it’s time to sail. It also shows muster station for safety drill and emergencies, should there be any.) We knew that room wouldn’t be ready until 2 (deluxe veranda), as stated in cruise booklet. You're welcome to board ship any time after 10 as long as you stay in public areas so as not to bother people cleaning rooms. We ate lunch, explored ship a little (ignoring fumes coming from ship being refueled) and at 2 went to find our room. There are signs to direct you, and some crew members as well.

Our bags were on the bed, not outside door as we expected. We checked things like shower, TV, safe, etc. to make sure we understood their use before we needed them. Everything is high tech and eco friendly, so there was a bit of a learning curve. I went back off the ship to see more of Venice until 5, but my husband stayed to unpack and relax. Our room attendant and assistant came around to introduce themselves to him. (If you have Widodo from Singapore and Ayu from Bali, please treat them well. They’re fabulous, and Widodo's memory is top notch, as he greeted us by name most times.) There are tons of lights and plugs; might want to look at those early on. Desk has lift-top with lighted mirror with cubbyholes for gadgets (plus Viking's 8x21 binoculars). See picture here: http://www.pbase.com/roothy123/viking_star_ (There are underscores in there. If link doesn't work, just type first part of URL and navigate to most recent gallery on my site – Viking Star.)

You'll need to keep things off lift-top half of desk or else risk having things slide around a bit. Papers and stuff can go on other side of desk or on table. We both loved the desk cubbyholes, as the amount of little stuff stayed organized and safe. Coffee maker is a little hard to use – I had to have my husband figure it out. If need more hangers, ask. I’ve posted a few forms at link above – room service menu (kind of limited, but breakfast hang tag has great breakfast choices in addition to what's on room service menu), minibar (fridge) refill policy (someone came around each day to replenish; no need to fill out form unless you want tons of things or non-complimentary things like beer in DV rooms) and maybe a couple other documents. WiFi password (specific to each room) is accessible through the TV. I believe it was free and unlimited to everyone, but we were in a DV, so not positive if V’s came with same privilege. I didn’t have to sign in and out and worry about how much it was costing, which I loved. Quiet Vox boxes with instructions, shoe horn, big brush, hairdryer, toiletries, large and small slippers, 2 robes, umbrella, laundry bag and form, etc. are in room. For questions about the room, ask your attendant or Explorers Desk personnel. Despite early reports of confusing and contradictory response, those people have certainly gotten it together – and I love the central spot for all services, and the chairs. There's no standing and waiting like on other cruise ships.

Don’t turn on water in shower too hard – pressure is excellent and you could risk flooding the shower stall. (We encountered same situation in our Istanbul hotel bathroom). There’s ledge in shower for soap, shampoo, etc. We found drawer space to be completely adequate for our 14 days’ worth of clothes. Also a big closet with shelving, the desk I described, space in nightstand (and a small pullout shelf), plus 2 drawers in bathroom and a bunch of small glass shelves. Life jackets are stored by life boats. Key card or other plastic card of similar size must be placed in slot inside door if you want major lights to be “live” 24/7. When card is removed, lights go out. If that bothers you, bring a heavy credit-card sized card. I read on Cruise Critic that plugs on wall by the bed stay “live” 24/7, but didn’t use them, so can’t confirm. Powerful (too much for us) nightlight is available (controlled by switch by bed). Heated bathroom floor was nice and never too hot. Temperature around ship was fine for us, although one night in restaurants some people seemed cold. Of course, if you want to go outside, at bow (front) of ship when it’s plowing along, you’ll want something warm. A heavy sweatshirt was fine for me. In case of too much AC, I brought a very lightweight nice black shirt, but didn’t wear it unless I went outside.

On desk was envelope with tour tickets inside, which we checked. A few of the times seemed a little different from times I had selected on My Viking Journey. Don’t assume every tour will start exact time as what you requested on MVJ, at least for the included excursions. Time isn’t posted on ticket as it’s fluid. You'll need to check daily paper the night before each tour for “meeting” times. I’ll address tours more in a separate post. (Only a few very minor snags, with great organization. If you cruise a lot, you’ll know this happens.) We didn’t see any way to check Manfredi & Chef’s Table reservation info without going into My Viking Journey or asking at/calling Explorers Desk. Maybe eventually this will be accessible on the TV. First snag of cruise: Husband checked rezzies, as travel agent had asked for an anniversary celebration. Star had no record of the request, but they made it happen.

Clocks are on TV and on phone. Wakeup calls are through phone or perhaps TV also; not sure. I took travel alarm but didn't use it. Your cellphones will probably work for alarms, but may not change time automatically when you cross time zones. (For Empires of Med, there was a time change between Montenegro and Greece – 1 hour later in Greece and Turkey). Be careful using cellphones on ship, especially while at sea. Situation is complicated; someone else can better explain it. Let's just say, however, that you don't want the phone to route itself through ship’s communication system. I only made a few phone calls, but made certain they were being made through the roaming phone service on my phone (T-Mobile – 20 cents a minute for int'l calls). Marine calls are very expensive. As long as you're using Viking's WiFi, however, you should be fine with internet use. I didn't text, so can't say what, if anything, to look out for.

Internet was fabulous. We had one day of meltdown (unfortunately the sea day, when everyone wanted to use it!) but otherwise it was the fastest and most reliable I’ve experienced on a cruise ship. Sometimes it’s a bit slow, especially when everyone’s awake and on it, but for simply reading or sending emails it was top notch. I was even able to easily send a few pictures. In the early AM, it was generally quite fast.

We boarded in Venice and had safety drill (short and sweet) at 5 PM; departed at midnight. Cruise lines are required to have a drill before leaving or immediately after leaving. Daily paper gives time – read it and attend! If you miss it, you’ll need to make it up some way. I’m sure they’ll let you know…Once checked in, you can leave ship as long as you’re back by “on board” time listed in daily paper. For us, it was almost always a half hour before we set sail. Keep in mind, however, that you often need time to clear security in port terminal. Some ports get you through quickly; others not so much, and of course it depends upon how many ships are in town and when people come back to the port. (In Venice, there were 12,000 cruisers the day before we embarked – whew!) If you need to take a tender boat ashore, you may need more time for that. If tendering is required, it will be indicated by a little anchor on the original itinerary. Of course, on occasion, a ship is later assigned by the port to tender, so be aware of that. However, I can only remember once or twice when that happened to us on previous cruises - no big deal. If it’s time to go and you’re unaccounted for, security will first call your room. If no response, your name will be announced over loudspeaker.

Hope that helps; enjoy the pictures!

This is great Roothy! Thanks heaps.

Elaine & Chris from New Zealand

Not really a blog, but here's the start of info and pictures of our embarkation day. Some info may be repetitive, as I forget what I posted before. Also, things could change by the time you cruise, or your itinerary will result in things being handled differently. More info and pics to follow in the days to come. Cruise was Empires of the Mediterranean, September, 27, 2015 from Venice to Istanbul. Weather was fabulous, by the way - and those traveling after us should have nice weather, I think. Walking a lot makes you warmer than you think. We got a tiny bit sunburned - be careful, even if you cruise in November or March! Also be prepared for lots of other tourists in the major cities. Venice and Dubrovnik were packed.

Getting to port of embarkation: If board in Venice & bought pre-cruise package, Viking provides transfers from airport to hotel & port. If getting to hotel or port on own, research & pre-plan how you’ll get around, as it’s a bit complicated in Venice, and all trips are long. Good online sources are Toms Port Guides & Venice for Visitors. We did airport to hotel and ship on our own and it wasn’t bad, but I DID do a lot of research before-hand, and chose hotel carefully. Be aware that in some cities, there’s more than one docking location, and multiple piers, so keep the number Viking gives you in personalized cruise booklet handy. (Sometimes ports change dock locations after brochures are printed; happened this time!) Also, just because Star docks one place in May doesn’t mean it will dock there in September – it's up to port, not Viking. Most cab drivers know or can find out where ship is docked. Make sure driver understands you want CRUISE port, (maritime or ship port?) and not airport, as the word “port” can be misunderstood. (This applies to many places in Europe, not just Venice.)

Embarkation: Might be a little different in each embarkation port and at different times, but for us it went very smoothly/quickly. We took a vaporetto from near our hotel to the San Basilio vaporetto stop. This docking location is normally only used by very small ships, but that’s where port assigned Star this time, rather than the big Maritima port with its People Mover and more walking. We got there around 1 and port or Viking reps greeted us outside terminal to take luggage. (Keep anything you need for next hour or two. Also, reps have extra bag tags if you want to leave a carryon you weren’t planning to leave. Since they promised bags within an hour, I ended up leaving my carryon and just took out my camera.)

Some port terminals require cruise documentation to enter, but San Basilio terminal did not. We checked in, read a health form, and showed passports. Our picture was taken while we stood at counter (didn’t see it being done), and we were given plastic key card to open stateroom door and to have swiped each time we went off or on ship. (It’s way cruise ship knows you’re authorized to board (in combination with picture) and whether all passengers are onboard when it’s time to sail. It also shows muster station for safety drill and emergencies, should there be any.) We knew that room wouldn’t be ready until 2 (deluxe veranda), as stated in cruise booklet. You're welcome to board ship any time after 10 as long as you stay in public areas so as not to bother people cleaning rooms. We ate lunch, explored ship a little (ignoring fumes coming from ship being refueled) and at 2 went to find our room. There are signs to direct you, and some crew members as well.

Our bags were on the bed, not outside door as we expected. We checked things like shower, TV, safe, etc. to make sure we understood their use before we needed them. Everything is high tech and eco friendly, so there was a bit of a learning curve. I went back off the ship to see more of Venice until 5, but my husband stayed to unpack and relax. Our room attendant and assistant came around to introduce themselves to him. (If you have Widodo from Singapore and Ayu from Bali, please treat them well. They’re fabulous, and Widodo's memory is top notch, as he greeted us by name most times.) There are tons of lights and plugs; might want to look at those early on. Desk has lift-top with lighted mirror with cubbyholes for gadgets (plus Viking's 8x21 binoculars). See picture here: http://www.pbase.com/roothy123/viking_star_ (There are underscores in there. If link doesn't work, just type first part of URL and navigate to most recent gallery on my site – Viking Star.)

You'll need to keep things off lift-top half of desk or else risk having things slide around a bit. Papers and stuff can go on other side of desk or on table. We both loved the desk cubbyholes, as the amount of little stuff stayed organized and safe. Coffee maker is a little hard to use – I had to have my husband figure it out. If need more hangers, ask. I’ve posted a few forms at link above – room service menu (kind of limited, but breakfast hang tag has great breakfast choices in addition to what's on room service menu), minibar (fridge) refill policy (someone came around each day to replenish; no need to fill out form unless you want tons of things or non-complimentary things like beer in DV rooms) and maybe a couple other documents. WiFi password (specific to each room) is accessible through the TV. I believe it was free and unlimited to everyone, but we were in a DV, so not positive if V’s came with same privilege. I didn’t have to sign in and out and worry about how much it was costing, which I loved. Quiet Vox boxes with instructions, shoe horn, big brush, hairdryer, toiletries, large and small slippers, 2 robes, umbrella, laundry bag and form, etc. are in room. For questions about the room, ask your attendant or Explorers Desk personnel. Despite early reports of confusing and contradictory response, those people have certainly gotten it together – and I love the central spot for all services, and the chairs. There's no standing and waiting like on other cruise ships.

Don’t turn on water in shower too hard – pressure is excellent and you could risk flooding the shower stall. (We encountered same situation in our Istanbul hotel bathroom). There’s ledge in shower for soap, shampoo, etc. We found drawer space to be completely adequate for our 14 days’ worth of clothes. Also a big closet with shelving, the desk I described, space in nightstand (and a small pullout shelf), plus 2 drawers in bathroom and a bunch of small glass shelves. Life jackets are stored by life boats. Key card or other plastic card of similar size must be placed in slot inside door if you want major lights to be “live” 24/7. When card is removed, lights go out. If that bothers you, bring a heavy credit-card sized card. I read on Cruise Critic that plugs on wall by the bed stay “live” 24/7, but didn’t use them, so can’t confirm. Powerful (too much for us) nightlight is available (controlled by switch by bed). Heated bathroom floor was nice and never too hot. Temperature around ship was fine for us, although one night in restaurants some people seemed cold. Of course, if you want to go outside, at bow (front) of ship when it’s plowing along, you’ll want something warm. A heavy sweatshirt was fine for me. In case of too much AC, I brought a very lightweight nice black shirt, but didn’t wear it unless I went outside.

On desk was envelope with tour tickets inside, which we checked. A few of the times seemed a little different from times I had selected on My Viking Journey. Don’t assume every tour will start exact time as what you requested on MVJ, at least for the included excursions. Time isn’t posted on ticket as it’s fluid. You'll need to check daily paper the night before each tour for “meeting” times. I’ll address tours more in a separate post. (Only a few very minor snags, with great organization. If you cruise a lot, you’ll know this happens.) We didn’t see any way to check Manfredi & Chef’s Table reservation info without going into My Viking Journey or asking at/calling Explorers Desk. Maybe eventually this will be accessible on the TV. First snag of cruise: Husband checked rezzies, as travel agent had asked for an anniversary celebration. Star had no record of the request, but they made it happen.

Clocks are on TV and on phone. Wakeup calls are through phone or perhaps TV also; not sure. I took travel alarm but didn't use it. Your cellphones will probably work for alarms, but may not change time automatically when you cross time zones. (For Empires of Med, there was a time change between Montenegro and Greece – 1 hour later in Greece and Turkey). Be careful using cellphones on ship, especially while at sea. Situation is complicated; someone else can better explain it. Let's just say, however, that you don't want the phone to route itself through ship’s communication system. I only made a few phone calls, but made certain they were being made through the roaming phone service on my phone (T-Mobile – 20 cents a minute for int'l calls). Marine calls are very expensive. As long as you're using Viking's WiFi, however, you should be fine with internet use. I didn't text, so can't say what, if anything, to look out for.

Internet was fabulous. We had one day of meltdown (unfortunately the sea day, when everyone wanted to use it!) but otherwise it was the fastest and most reliable I’ve experienced on a cruise ship. Sometimes it’s a bit slow, especially when everyone’s awake and on it, but for simply reading or sending emails it was top notch. I was even able to easily send a few pictures. In the early AM, it was generally quite fast.

We boarded in Venice and had safety drill (short and sweet) at 5 PM; departed at midnight. Cruise lines are required to have a drill before leaving or immediately after leaving. Daily paper gives time – read it and attend! If you miss it, you’ll need to make it up some way. I’m sure they’ll let you know…Once checked in, you can leave ship as long as you’re back by “on board” time listed in daily paper. For us, it was almost always a half hour before we set sail. Keep in mind, however, that you often need time to clear security in port terminal. Some ports get you through quickly; others not so much, and of course it depends upon how many ships are in town and when people come back to the port. (In Venice, there were 12,000 cruisers the day before we embarked – whew!) If you need to take a tender boat ashore, you may need more time for that. If tendering is required, it will be indicated by a little anchor on the original itinerary. Of course, on occasion, a ship is later assigned by the port to tender, so be aware of that. However, I can only remember once or twice when that happened to us on previous cruises - no big deal. If it’s time to go and you’re unaccounted for, security will first call your room. If no response, your name will be announced over loudspeaker.

Hope that helps; enjoy the pictures!

We flew Lufthansa through Frankfurt. I bought my own tickets, because I initially misunderstood the cost of Viking’s air and because we decided we wanted Premium Economy seats on the long haul flights. Flights to Venice were limited, but we settled on Lufthansa flights through Frankfurt. The overnight flight from DC Dulles wasn’t bad and I actually got a decent amount of sleep. Premium economy cost us an extra $300 each way but we felt it was worth it. You really do have more space, plus more stuff like free wine and tons of juice and hand towels, and you’re closer to the front. Dinner was actually quite good. I slept through breakfast, which I hear was passable.

We flew through Frankfurt airport once before and it was great, however this time my husband requested a wheelchair, and there was a lot of waiting involved. One person didn’t take you the whole way, plus there’s a bus ride involved, and a little road trip involved, and tons of waiting in between. Of course, we had 4 ½ hours to connect, so we figured out on the trip back home that it’s likely they give priority to people with shorter connection times. It was frustrating, though. On the way back, we even heard a man call one of the airport employees “stupid” for making him wait so long at the mini-lounge. He first called the system stupid, and when the woman didn’t say what he wanted to hear, he called HER stupid. Sheesh…flying brings out the worst in us, I guess. Be prepared for a lot of security and passport checking at Frankfurt airport. Good news is that it was relatively fast getting out of Venice airport - certainly less than an hour. Part of this is because we really entered the "Schengen area" or whatever it's called (a border agreement among various Euro countries) in Frankfurt, so all we needed to do in Venice was get our bags and go. I had read that baggage took a while to be delivered, but ours came fairly quickly, plus the airport was not huge, which was nice.

We had booked a European hotel in Venice close to St. Mark’s Square for two nights. It was small but central and great for us. We took the ATVO airport bus to Piazalle Roma, slowly walked two blocks with our luggage, took one of the less crowded and faster vaporettos to San Zaccaria, and walked two blocks to the hotel. We bought 48 hour vaporetto tickets at Piazalle Roma. On embarkation day we used a similar less popular vaporetto to go to San Basilio. From the vap stop to the port terminal was about a minute or two walk. Once we turned over our luggage and checked in, there was a van (not sure of frequency/hours) that took us the short way to the ship (or we could have walked – maybe 3 minutes).). Viking provided a water shuttle from the port terminal to a location described as a 15-20 minute walk from San Marco with 4 raised stone bridges to cross. I know those bridges, and one is long, with the others short. I didn’t use the shuttle when I went back out, as I still had time on my vaporetto ticket. I think it probably dropped and picked up somewhere near where the Hilton’s shuttle went – to the east of San Marco. There are at least 5 vaporetto platforms around San Marco/Zaccaria, so space is limited. The walk may have been shorter than 20 minutes, but with all the people in Venice that weekend, it could have easily taken that long! Viking gave out a schedule (I think when we checked in at the terminal), plus some info was printed in the daily paper, with more info available at the Explorers Desk. I believe the shuttle went to and from hourly, but I forget. Daily paper says shuttle ran 9 AM to 9 PM. Star left at midnight. Note that few cruise ships dock at San Basilio, so if you dock at Marittima (Fabricato terminal, or whatever it's called), things might be different.

Upon arrival and departure, cruise ships travel the Giudecca Canal, and they pass San Marco 20-30 minutes before docking at Marittima. It was faster for us, as San Basilio is closer than Marittima. If possible, be on your veranda (port side if you’re departing) or up top for nice views. Even at night, it was a very nice sailaway for about an hour after we left.

In case you want to take a vaporetto/Alilaguna boat/water taxi:

They are all different. Alilaguna and the public ACTV vaporettos require separate tickets. Both have single tickets and timed tickets; tickets can be purchased at major stops from machines. Validate ticket in or outside vap platform before first use. After first validation, no other validation is needed, but putting the ticket up to the validation machine is useful as it tells you if you still have time on the card. We saw 4 people get fined for not having a ticket. 2 thought their Alilaguna ticket could be used on ACTV; two others had gotten free trips to Murano island from someone hawking rides and were told they could use the voucher they were given on the vaporetto back. The woman argued for a good 20 minutes to no avail. I road at least 5 vaporettos while in Venice, and found them to be great fun. After a little bit, they’re easy to figure out, as boards around the platforms and signs give you lots of information. Just be sure you hop on the correct one, as sometimes there are multiple lines using the same platform. Also, make sure it’s going in the correct direction. We didn’t use Alilaguna, but it’s a good option from the airport to the Hilton and other locations. However, I hear there IS some walking involved from the airport to where you catch it. The same is true for water taxis, which pretty much have to be pre-ordered. They are direct and fast, but if your hotel doesn’t have a platform for a boat to use, you may still end up walking a little bit. I’m not sure where they drop at Marittima port, but I would guess they could get right up to the port terminal at San Basilio. Porters are sometimes available to take luggage to a hotel, but not easy to find unless the hotel orders one. I’d suggest booking your hotel early, keeping in mind there are stepped bridges all over the place. (Read about hotels on the Venice for Visitors online site. Tom’s Port Guides info is also good.) Find the best map you can, and be prepared to still get lost. Streets sometimes have different names on different maps, frequently are only a block or two long with no street names posted, and some end up at a dead end or at water with no bridge. It’s pretty frustrating, so allow plenty of time to get around. This is one city in which you might want to take an excursion, even if you’re a free spirit like me. I did pretty well, but DID get lost once or twice, and while the locals were helpful, there’s only so much they can do. Navigation by “campo” (square) or major landmark is helpful, though, and I've heard that map apps you can download and then use offline work reasonably well. I downloaded a couple, but never really got to try them, so can't say how well they work.

If you go to the basilica in St. Mark’s square, be aware that they are picky about backpacks. I had a small one I use for my camera and extra lens (but no purse), and they stopped me and asked me to check it at the free bag check about a block away. I should have just put my things in a regular purse, as people with large purses were being allowed in.

If you’re going to Venice in late fall, you might want to check http://www.comune.venezia.it for high tide and flooding predictions, plus good webcams. We didn’t see anything too unusual, but there WAS flooding in St. Mark’s square a week before we got there, so it’s something to be aware of, especially in late fall and winter. The city apparently puts out ramps to walk on, and if things get really bad, there are short siren blasts to warn of impending flooding.

If you want to stay in a small, European hotel, keep in mind there may be no elevator, the rooms may be small, and it may be noisier than big American hotels. Also, ground floor in the U.S. is first floor in Europe, so a first floor room is actually up one flight of stairs. There is a modest per person, per night city tax in Venice that will be added to your bill. The hotel will probably ask for and make a copy of your passport (Istanbul, too).

Venice was quite unique, and I enjoyed it a lot and took tons of pictures. From Italy it was a short overnight cruise to Croatia. Stay tuned...

I cannot compete with Roothy's excellent commentary and as I was on a wonderful Viking pre cruise extension they dropped us off directly at the cruise terminal in time for lunch.

What I can add is that if you are independently minded then do not worry about setting off on your own. We used an offline version of google maps with GPS turned on which works even if your phone is in airplane mode. This always told us where we were and as long as you had saved the places you wanted to visit was a great resource to help you navigate. Indeed some guidebooks suggest the best way to see the real Venice is to get lost, but I am not sure my wife would be too pleased!

The water shuttle back to the boat was about 10 minutes walk from the waters edge by St Marks Square, it was a busy area between the 4th and 5th bridge as all the shuttles from ships and most hotels used this area but look out for the Viking staff in bright red tops and they will help you to find the next shuttle.

I also have to echo Roothy's comments about the Explorer desk, never had to wait long and always pleasant and helpful even when occasionally we overheard other passengers being unpleasant to them.

Neil

My husband also used a wheelchair in Frankfurt airport, fortunately this time we had a great experience as far as service and time. We flew on our own from France to Frankfurt on Lufthansa and Frankfurt to Dulles DC on United. I arranged the wheelchair before we left for France last year for our Viking River Cruise. We found a wheelchair a must if you can not walk long distances. We also had 4 hour layover. Much longer than needed, (but felt because of previous experience with Frankfurt airport almost missed our flight) any connection time under 2 hours would not work for anyone with walking distance issues.