Malaria in Roatan?

BEFdoc

I just read the CDC website about Roatan and Honduras. They recommend prophylactic use of anti-malaria drug. A couple mentioned the most commonly used Chloroquine. Anyone have experience with this drug, side effects etc. More importantly, anyone experienced a case of Malaria from Roatan?

Thanks for your input as trying to decide whether to take this medication.

I just read the CDC website about Roatan and Honduras. They recommend prophylactic use of anti-malaria drug. A couple mentioned the most commonly used Chloroquine. Anyone have experience with this drug, side effects etc. More importantly, anyone experienced a case of Malaria from Roatan?

Thanks for your input as trying to decide whether to take this medication.

This is a bit of a hot button topic on Trip Advisor, ya might have a look at FAQ here.

I think having reactions or not to a medication are personal as is the choice to take he preventive. I have stayed on the island for up to three months, sometimes I take the meds, sometimes I don't. I am religious about bug repellent, Deep Woods off works for me.

Malaria is on the island, as is Dengue... the choice is yours.

I would talk to your family physician or a travel md to see what medication they recommend. If I am cruising I personally chose not to take the malaria meds. (once again talk to your MD) We were there in the afternoon when the probability of a mosquito bite is lower. When I go to stay on the island, I do take malaria medications. The first time I went I took Mefloquine. I had a slight reaction to it but nothing serious. (Hot flashes and felt off) It quickly went away and I felt perfectly fine the entire trip and the few weeks after that I had to take the medication. My daughter and husband took Malarone and had no issues. This trip I will be taking Malarone.

I would talk to your family physician or a travel md to see what medication they recommend. If I am cruising I personally chose not to take the malaria meds. (once again talk to your MD) We were there in the afternoon when the probability of a mosquito bite is lower. When I go to stay on the island, I do take malaria medications...

This is how I feel. I will not be taking malaria meds (or giving them to my 4 year old) for a port stop where we will just be in town, on buses, in taxis, on boats, on the beach, and in the ocean; for a grand total of 8 daytime hours (at most). I will be using lots of insect repellent, of course.

I would definitely take the meds if I was going into wilderness areas, or if we were staying into the evening.

This is how I feel. I will not be taking malaria meds (or giving them to my 4 year old) for a port stop where we will just be in town, on buses, in taxis, on boats, on the beach, and in the ocean; for a grand total of 8 daytime hours (at most). I will be using lots of insect repellent, of course.

I would definitely take the meds if I was going into wilderness areas, or if we were staying into the evening.

Thanks all for the advice.

So what kind of mosquito critters are on Roatan? Is it the regular dawn/dusk variety, or the kind that bites all day long?

I am religious about bug repellent, Deep Woods off works for me.

Malaria is on the island, as is Dengue... the choice is yours.

So what kind of mosquito critters are on Roatan? Is it the regular dawn/dusk variety, or the kind that bites all day long?

I think it depnds on who ya talk to, I have seen plenty of people say the mosquitos are only dawn/dusk and the sand flies are only on the beach.

My experience has been different, there are days I spend a fair amount of time on a second level deck reading.. I find both the mossies and

the sand flies are active all day, the deck is covered, perhaps if one is in the sun the mossies are less likely to bother.

I truly believe it is all about body chemestry, if the bugs like you they will find you no matter the time of day..

No-See-Ums can be a problem all day long. I would just wear bug spray. It will make you feel better and you don't want to end up itching the entire trip. Mosquitos were only a real issue for us during the early morning and evening hours. I really didn't have a problem with them and neither did my daughter who is a mosquito magnet during the mid day hours.