Carnival vs HAL

BlackBEAR77

As I have mentioned on here that I have cruised on Carnival a handful of times. This will be my first HAL trip as I want to take my long time GF on a nice week long trip. We will be doing Eastern Caribbean out of FLL. What are the major differences that we will see between the 2 lines?

The bigger the ship, the more options for entertainment.

IMO, the biggest difference is the service - you cannot beat the service on HAL - and also there will be no belly flop or hairy legs contests on HAL as HAL tends to be a bit more sedate than Carnival. A friend once compared Carnival to a restaurant with children's games and HAL to a nice restaurant for many things, not just food.

Thanks for the information so far. I plan way too much but I also like to know what I am getting in to. What is there to do during the day/night? Shows, Comedy, Music?

One show at 8 , repeated at 10, a night. It will vary between HAL singers and dancers, a comedian or musician. No comedy club or midnight show. Bands, DJ,piano bar and classical music duo.

Here is a link to a typical cruise On Location.

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/travel-2/eastern-caribbean-ms-nieuw-amsterdam-on-locations-daily-activities-2014-15/

... What are the major differences that we will see between the 2 lines?

IMHO there is one significant difference between Carnival and HAL - only HAL has a Roman Catholic priest (who celebrates daily Mass) on board every one of its cruises. Since spiritual renewal is an important component of our vacation experience, HAL is the hands-down choice for us.

I hope you enjoy your HAL cruise and return for more in the future.

As I have mentioned on here that I have cruised on Carnival a handful of times. This will be my first HAL trip as I want to take my long time GF on a nice week long trip. We will be doing Eastern Caribbean out of FLL. What are the major differences that we will see between the 2 lines?

SLIGHTLY biased, but I have one Carnival cruise under my belt and about 20 on HAL, so that should tell you alot.

Carnival does a good job, but IMO HAL is a superior product, for which you generally pay more. HAL does a much better job in food, quieter environment, crew service levels and room service. Carnival is better in entertainment and "energy level" in the evenings.

Since each of us has different desires when traveling, each line will appeal to different people (my younger sister and her husband (both 15 years younger than I) love Carnival, of course they like to party more than I do and stay up later. They are more into pizza and beer, I am more into wine and cheese.

Hope this helps.

DaveOKC

Edited by DaveOKC

I actually think carnival has many more food options than HAL and is equally as good. Nightlife on HAL is nice, but entertainment far better on carnival. Both have terrific staff and excellent service. HAL has better room service options. I enjoy both lines for different reasons. Depends on your style of cruising. You will enjoy your HAL cruise!

OP - Which ship are you looking at? The larger ships of the Vista Class (Zuiderdam, Oosterdam, Westerdam, & Noordam) or the Signature Class (Eurodam & Nieuw Amsterdam) will have more entertainment options.

So you're on the Westy.

She is a fine boat and compares in size/approx pax #s to the Carnival ships you've been on, but will be a little more subdued than how you're used to things. Don't expect a lot to do after 10.30-11 pm beyond the clean up the left over food from earlier in the night buffet.

Don't sweat the 'god's waiting room' badge that HAL has, short cruises will have a mix of all demographics.

You'll have a good, relaxing & tranquil time that gives a lot of "our" time. What can be wrong with that? Nothing.

was the supper club at the top of the ship. The food was prepared in an open kitchen that we could see and the selection was better than the Pinnacle. Also they had a lot of space between tables and a small combo playing standards and a small dance floor.

I think that there is a better class of people on HAL ships but that may make me seem snobish but you don't see people coming into the dining room in shorts, t shirts and hats on backwards.

The main difference for us was the volume around the pool and the crowding around the pool. The music and videos were played so loud on Carnival in the afternoon I couldn't hear my kids speak to me. Also, large crowds around the pool. I just didn't find the Carnival poolside experience to be positive at all.

However, I really feel that in all other aspects, the two lines are very comparable - service, food, entertainment etc.

Yes, you will find a more subdued, quieter crowd on HAL, but that's fine with us. We cruise to chill, not go wild.

Carnival: sun tan lotion

HAL: Ben Gay rub.

The main difference for us was the volume around the pool and the crowding around the pool. The music and videos were played so loud on Carnival in the afternoon I couldn't hear my kids speak to me. Also, large crowds around the pool. I just didn't find the Carnival poolside experience to be positive at all.

However, I really feel that in all other aspects, the two lines are very comparable - service, food, entertainment etc.

Yes, you will find a more subdued, quieter crowd on HAL, but that's fine with us. We cruise to chill, not go wild.

Second the pool issues on Carnival - seldom a problem finding a place on HAL, on Carnival we had to sit a deck above the pool and around the corner!

Will third on the pool issues...we don't do the pool much anymore but on our first Hal cruise..on the Maasdam I thought I had died and gone to heaven when we went to the aft pool one afternoon and there was no one there except the entertainment staff:D It's not quite that good anymore...but still wonderful compared to Carnival...we always sat on the upper deck on Carnival..just too much going on near the pool...

This is great information folks. Please keep it up! I have been in the pool once in our 4 Carnival cruises. I look forward to being able to enjoy the pool. The relaxed atmosphere seems like it will be right up our alley. I am concerned with the amount of free entertainment on board HAL. Seems like you have to pay for a lot.

I am concerned with the amount of free entertainment on board HAL. Seems like you have to pay for a lot.

Not sure where you would get the idea that you have to pay for entertainment on HAL? :confused: All entertainment is free.

The bigger the ship, the more options for entertainment.

IMO, the biggest difference is the service - you cannot beat the service on HAL - and also there will be no belly flop or hairy legs contests on HAL as HAL tends to be a bit more sedate than Carnival. A friend once compared Carnival to a restaurant with children's games and HAL to a nice restaurant for many things, not just food.

I agree 100%

Sorry misuse of the word entertainemnt. Meant like Beer tastings, wine tastings, cooking classes, and such. Seems like a lot more of those on HAL than Carnival. I normally play trivia like 2-3 times a day on Carnival so I am looking for stuff like that too.

Sorry misuse of the word entertainemnt. Meant like Beer tastings, wine tastings, cooking classes, and such. Seems like a lot more of those on HAL than Carnival. I normally play trivia like 2-3 times a day on Carnival so I am looking for stuff like that too.

Yes, there are beer and wine tasting, and those do have a charge. There is trivia (free), I don't know how many times a day. There are cooking demos that are free. If they offer classes where you actually cook, there's a charge for that. There also are computer workshops, based on Windows not Apple or anything "i" and those are free--and often quite full so get there early.

I'm looking into Eurodam for Christmas but only been on Royal 5 times. I'm somewhat nervous but my male partner doesn't want to be around obnixous cruisers (drunks, etc.) so I'm opting for this line; however, I'm 47 and he's 51. I read they have Motown and Blues entertainment so I can do without the belly flops and alot of kids.

I'm looking into Eurodam for Christmas but only been on Royal 5 times. I'm somewhat nervous but my male partner doesn't want to be around obnixous cruisers (drunks, etc.) so I'm opting for this line; however, I'm 47 and he's 51. I read they have Motown and Blues entertainment so I can do without the belly flops and alot of kids.

I've met my share of obnoxious folks on every line we've cruised on. They come in all shapes and sizes and ages.....but I get where you're coming from by choosing HAL.

I find HAL cruisers to be a bit more conservative. Since we cruise in the non-vacation time periods, we experience an older crowd as well. I am sure that in the summer and Spring/Fall breaks that there are younger cruisers and more kids.

As to Motown - on our last cruise on the Maasdam they had a Motown night in the Crows Nest. The band had a poor concept of Motown music (I grew up in Motown in the 60/70s) and I was quite disappointed in their selections. I made sure to tell the CD when I saw her!