Upgrade offer 5 months out...

kbh2

I booked a cruise for March 5, 2016 on the Glory a few weeks ago in a category 4J. I just received an upgrade offer already to move to oceanview for $50.00 total. I am not taking it because I want to try out the 4J and I really want to be on a higher deck than deck 2 on this cruise. There are still 4J's available on this sailing and I am wondering why they are trying to upgrade so early... I am hoping maybe we will get an upgrade offer to a balcony and that I might take.. Anyone else ever received an upgrade offer so far out and with category still available?

We just got an offer to go from inside to balcony yesterday for our January B2B. The guy on the phone said there is a (very complicated) formula and ratio that they use. It means that upsells could occur at any given time, depending on how the cruise is selling versus their planned sales forecast.

Often times it is easier for the cruise line to sell off the lower categories (insides) so they'll try to upsell those folks to balconies, in order to free their rooms up for new bookings. They're taking a loss on the full balcony price in the hopes that they can at least fill another inside cabin.

For your cruise, I wouldn't be surprised if you had a price drop or another call. Typically they call folks in the higher categories first. Meaning you would likely get called before those in lower category inside cabins. Every time I've gotten an upsell, we've had a fairly high category already (usually on lido or promenade).

Hope this helped :)