Roatan Excursion . . .

I would not go to Maya Key. They have been accused if stealing/illegally removing animals during an evening raid on Little French Key.

Was this a recent event? I visited LFK this past May and didn't hear of any rumors like this the week I was there.

What animals were allegedly stolen/removed?

I made mention of my doubts about using the jaguar to swim with paying patrons, calling it a possible accident waiting to happen.

Both Maya Key and Little French Key boast of rescuing and rehabbing animals.

Edited by evandbob

We would love to go to Tabyana Beach again, but don't see it on Carnivals site as an option for our Feb. 21, 2016 cruise on the Splendor? Any idea why?

It hasn't been listed for our Jan 31 Dream cruise either. We are looking at Bananarama as a possible substitute. The Maya Key excursion offered by Carnival, or the private Little French Key are other good options.

This happened on August 30. They took Simba, monkeys, birds & others. They left Lawrence. There is a fund to raise money for legal fees. Apparently, the animals were taken illegally. The rumor is, Maya Key was jealous that LFK was getting more travelers to go to their facility. The night of the raid Maya Key had their boat there.

This happened on August 30. They took Simba, monkeys, birds & others. They left Lawrence. There is a fund to raise money for legal fees. Apparently, the animals were taken illegally. The rumor is, Maya Key was jealous that LFK was getting more travelers to go to their facility. The night of the raid Maya Key had their boat there.

On LFK's web site, they have added a link "please help us get our animals back"

Mitsugirly has posted on this and there are many stories that can be found through a google search.

I'm not sure that Maya Key was behind the raid from what I have read so far. As you note, that is only a rumor at this point.

The port and the free beach area are GREAT, will never buy an excursion there again, just enjoy the free space.

The beach is nice but nothing special, there is no snorkeling, and the water is filled with trash. Getting out of the bay was amazing, our catamaran snorkeling trip was worth every penny.

The port and the free beach area are GREAT, will never buy an excursion there again, just enjoy the free space.

As long as you don't want to snorkel, it's a very nice beach area.

We've always had clear clean water and a nice clean sandy beach.

Their beach bar is enjoyable too! :D

LuLu

Edited by OCruisers

Debating between these two excursions - Tabyana Beach Break or Maya Key Private Island? Which one would you choose? They're both offered by Carnival!

We've been to Tabyana once and Maya Key twice. They're both nice and you really can't go wrong with either one of those. Maya Key is a little easier (and quicker) to get to.

At Tabyana you snorkel right from the beach. It is just a short swim out to the reef. At Maya Key there is a short pier you walk out before getting into the water. Both locations are great for snorkeling and you wont be disappointed with either choice. But do be sure to snorkel out to the drop off. It really is a "WOW" moment

Maya Key is also an animal preserve (small zoo) so if you get tired of the beach you have another option.

If you were to pin me down and I had to choose just one.... I'd go with Maya Key. It's only a 10 minute boat ride from the Carnival pier and I think you get more bang for you buck.

Lee

The Tabyana Beach Break is $39.99/person, but lunch is not included. The Maya Key is $89.99 with lunch included!

We've been to Tabyana once and Maya Key twice. They're both nice and you really can't go wrong with either one of those. Maya Key is a little easier (and quicker) to get to.

At Tabyana you snorkel right from the beach. It is just a short swim out to the reef. At Maya Key there is a short pier you walk out before getting into the water. Both locations are great for snorkeling and you wont be disappointed with either choice. But do be sure to snorkel out to the drop off. It really is a "WOW" moment

Maya Key is also an animal preserve (small zoo) so if you get tired of the beach you have another option.

If you were to pin me down and I had to choose just one.... I'd go with Maya Key. It's only a 10 minute boat ride from the Carnival pier and I think you get more bang for you buck.

Lee

I'm thinking I could probably find lunch cheaper than $50 at Tabyana, right?

No problem - Tabyanana sells hot dogs and burgers. Next door at Infinity Bay you can eat some local fish for $15pp, a little further down is an American menu at Bananarama, further down is Beachers, Fosters, BOHO and Bite on the Beach. You can google any of these for their current menu and pricing.

Maya Key also gives you a short boat ride to their site.

I was disappointed in the snorkeling at Maya Key last year. The coral is pretty brown near the pier. While it's better further out it was so crowded that my DD got pushed against the coral by someone going the opposite way. Very narrow through and too crowded. Next time in Roatan I think we will do a catamaran or boat snorkel. I will say the food was fantastic and had some other cool stuff. Gift shop had decent prices for Lenca pottery.

When I took my cruise on the Dream in 2012, me and my friend booked a spa day at Spa Baan Suerte (add a dot com to get to the site) and it was *** Soooooo Amazing **** it was like something out of a Jimmy Buffet song. We got some sort of a tropical banana sugar massage, and they have a pier with a covered area that extends about 100 feet into the water to relax on.

We booked this on our own, and a staff member from the spa came to the dock and picked us up, then brought us back to the ship.