Claridge Hotel and Tango Tours in B.A.??

Lvteks

Now that I have some dates and Iguazzu Falls quotes, I 'd like comments on "Senor Tango" or other Tango show. I've checked all the reviews but thought perhaps someone else may have information not entered somewhere.

Also have read the Claridge reports, and again I'm searching for anyone who would add their comments as well.

Thank You,

Blessings,

Gail

• 3 weeks later...

when I was in BA last October. they pick you up at your hotel. you get dinner and the show. there were 2 different bands that played. The dancing was very entertaining - it is a glitzy type presentation ending with Don't Cry For Me Argentina. My husband and I both enjoyed it.

Claridge is a terrific hotel if you prefer a more low key hotel. (we do). It's not modern and glitzy like many of the newer ones.

They have a terrific bar that attracts locals and foreigners.

I did not see the Sr. Tango show. We saw one that was less glitzy, however, my only regret is not seeing a different tango show everynight! They are all wonderful and different from each other.

The "drill" is the same - They pick you up at your hotel, you have a nice dinner with wine, watch the show and then transport you back to your hotel. You can preplan it or have your hotel do it for you.

We had Cintia at WowArgentia plan ours. She's fantastic. One day we toured with Carlos from PrivateTours.ar and he took us to an informal lunchtime tango show where the performers danced for tips. Terrific!

Jane

Some years ago the Piazzolla, was the vanguard, in tango club. Today not is it.

All want to go to Señor Tango, or to la Esquina Manzi.

The nocturnal show of tango in Señor Tango, is really good, something as well as a spectacle Broadway type.

The spectacle of the Esquina Homero Manzi is much more that a demonstration of the tango. It is the alive expression of the national culture, with the dancers and the musicians, it is an interesting place

• 2 months later...

Bohemio

Could you comment on Esquina Carlos Gardel, El Viejo Almacen, and El Querandi? We want to see to of the best dinner shows, but if possible have them focus on different "types" of Tango (Argentinian vs International).

Many thanks

Miguelito (aka Mike)

Greetings, we stayed in the Claridge November 17th for a couple of days. We really enjoyed the hotel, the staff all spoke English (a huge bonus for us) and the bar was terrific, we had coffees there, and then later went back for drinks and snacks - it does attract quite a friendly crowd and we had a great time socializing with strangers (not strangers for long)....it was a great choice of hotel for us. I hope you get to stay there, the location was very good also. Heather

Hi,

Will try to get answers in as best I can. Trip beyond belief. Home on Mon, work on Tues and Wed, violently ill by Wed P.M. I really think it was the en route home or here not in S.A. However, this is my first day out of bed and one meal beyond ginger ale and crackers.

Tango: We went to Senor Tango. sorry not my type, way too much singing songs I didn't know but more to consider. Be sure you know where you will will be seated and who exactly is picking you up. I think we got on the wrong bus. They had ony my first name and it was misspelled.....but I didn't know. anyway we had a bus ride through some strange areas ( I think a delay tatic) and then were herded up three flights of stairs to a large semicircle booth with another couple, a grandmother, her son and grandson of about 11 yr old. It was so high you had to leave the table after dinner to sit in small chairs by a railing to look down on the show. Only four of the group could sit directly in front. On the third floor, the railing was elevated so it was even harder to see. Nobody spoke much English. Not even the waiter. I was able to discern bif and pollo. the rest was risk. The grandson and I had the most significant conversation. He was a very good swimmer and did well in his classes.

Finally I asked to take the elevator downstairs, since I discovered they did have one...this after two very active days at Iguazu Falls. We sat behind some others on the first floor for the last ten minutes of the "Don't Cry for me ...." event. Didn't cry. Just wanted to get out. Our guide the next day politely observed that other venues offer a more traditional version however food quality may vary. So back to my caveat....be absolutely certain where you will sit. And if it matters, if anyone else speaks English) there are very nice tables around the showfloor where you stay in place and enjoy your drinks or whatever. This was the low point for us.

C. Gardel is THE Tango image. I presume the venue in his name follows his style. We saw both venues, (El V and El Q) from the outside which describes nothing. I would now opt for a guide and the local lunch or area trip, even if I went to an evening show.

The Claridge was more than my expectations. I had booked a "business rate on the internet after Ricardo said the regular rooms were filled....which they were...just found this rate which also included tx from the airport or to the dock...with that savings it was worth the extra to stay at such a lovely place. Even calling the hotel did not help, you have to find the rate and vacancy on the net.

Some kind of lucky upgrade fairy dust wafted in as we checked in Sat. P.M. and we had a end suite complete with covered balcony, sep king size bedroom and magnificant tiled bath with double sunken whirlpool. Another reason why playing pigeon at Sr. Tango was a pain. I could've been soakin' :) Room service breakfast was beautifully proper and prompt.....a great start to a three hour tour before boarding the Crown and continuing the most fantastic journey of sights, sounds which deeply touched our souls..

If I've raised questions, I'll try to answer as soon a possible.

Back to the ginger ale, I hope I have edited this well enough....where is spell check when you really need it.!

Blessings,

Gail

We are doing BA to FLL in March and are still logging all the great info from this thread -- thanks all

We are going to spend a few days in BA before the Cruise.

Question -- Has anyone gone to the Piazzolla for the Tango show??

Comments would be appreciated

Earl

Hi Earljr

We've booked tours with WOW Argentina in Buenos Aires. They have an outsanding reputation, and they strongly recommend Pizzaiolla. We're going with their recommendation, when we arrive there after a 15-day Oceania (Santiago to BA). I'll post our impressions. We've also booked Senor Tango.

Mike

Cintia at WowArgentina booked our tango show. She gave us a choice of the more glitzy ones or the Piazzola. She sent me the info before our trip. After meeting with us, she said we'd probably enjoy the Piazolla one more. We loved it! Real tango, not glitz. The dinner was excellent. Not a lot of choices but enough and served with a terrific red wine.

No problems w/ transportation to or from the show.

Even though you prepay, bring some cash with you in case you want to buy the CD or a souvenier photo. It's a wonderful CD and I listen to it often.

Mike, we also were on an Oceania cruise - our second. Our only regret for the trip was not booking more tango shows.

Jane

Thanks for the positive feedback on Piazzolla, Jane. We wanted to see a second show as well, and WOW suggested Senor Tango. We've seen both positive and negative reviews on it, but we'll go with their suggestion and report on it after we return to the states. Of course entertainment and cuisine are both very subjective, so I guess the bottom line is to try it and see if it fits one's individual tastes.

Mike

Thanks for the info Mike and Jane -- much appreciated

Will be looking forward to your report Mike -- and your point about food and fun being subjective is so true.

We have booked our hotel and some transportation thru Cintia and have been quite content with her prompt response to E-mail and will probably book more tours with her as our cruise time gets closer.

Are these Tango events suit and tie or less formal?

Thanx

Earl

A jacket is not required at the Tango shows, but it is a club so you should dress nicely.

My DH had a navy blazer with him, so he wore it and he blended in well with the Argentine and European men who also (mostly) wore jackets.

I wore a dressy pant outfit with high heeled sandals and was dressed appropriately.

Jane

PS Mike - I see from another section your praising of Jan. I hope you've had the pleasure of meeting her and Stu. We enjoyed both our Oceania cruises with them - the inaugural and the South American one this past Feb.

Archived