Dodging Joaquin on the Pride Review

dcruisers

Maybe you wearing a suit and tie on a casual night ruined the other tables dining atmosphere. Why is it that if people don't dress like you want them to, it ruins your dining experience.

It's not that they didn't dress the way I wanted them to- it's simply following Carnivals policy.

I'd rather not look at someone exposing parts that should be covered. And why not be respectful and follow the policy?

I guess your one of the passengers that think wearing a G string and tassels to dinner would be ok- in the name of personal freedom!!

The Attitude that one can wear whatever and too bad if it's offensive is disappointing to say the least.

We were on the same cruise, and while I really don't give two nickles for the 'elegant' nights, I will play along as best I can, (But I'm not wearing a tie, just not gonna happen). I will say that we had a table in the back, deck two, late seating, and I will be honest, we were all looking for the person in the 'Who Farted' t-shirt (this is an inside joke in our family, one cruise someone actually had that shirt on in the dinning room!). At least where we could see, walking in and from the table itself that dress code for both 'elegant' nights was maintained.

As to those of you asking about how someone else's dress would affect my dinner experience, it doesn't, and I would gladly take a well mannered person in swim trunks and a sleeveless t-shirt over an immaculately dress drunk spilling wine and shouting a table over. We have had both close to us on one cruise or another and believe me, the drunk can flat out ruin an evening, or a cruise.

As for the rest of the trip, we were on deck 7 aft, and we had the room cleaned every morning, and the beds turned down every night, The only issues with our room aside from the older TV, was the water issues.

On one day our toilet decided to start filling with 'Brown water' upon flushing. (GROSS!) and then later that day we had 'Yellow water' coming from the sink and shower head. The first issue was not there when we got back from brunch, but we had to call on the yellow water, and we were asked to let it run for 15 mins, we let it run for 45 before it was clear again.

Other than that the room was fine, I would even say good. In fact the only thing that really stood out to me on the ship was the facade around the floor markers on the top of the elevators, they were all in really bad shape. I know its nit picking but I'm just throwing it out there.

For the most part I think everyone on board took the weather in stride, and the only experience we had that I would say left a bad taste in our mouths was in the Serenity area when a passenger seemed to be treating the deck crew poorly because they hadn't gotten the lounge chairs out in a timely fashion. (I thought it was in poor tasted, as did a number of people around us.)

We would sail on the Pride again, just going to skip Sept and October from now on.

Oh and anyone heading out on the Pride soon, I cannot recommend the Alchemy Bar enough! Do the Martini tasting, between the bartenders and the drinks it was the best bar I have been to on a ship.

Edited by rfreeman11

Did you spend any time in the piano bar? Two years ago I was on the pride and the piano bar entertainer was the best (Roger) We are going on Halloween and I just wondered if it is as good as it was then.

We never went to the piano bar but did have a chance to hear and see the piano player at one of the pre shows. He was wonderful and lots of fun!

It's not that they didn't dress the way I wanted them to- it's simply following Carnivals policy.

I'd rather not look at someone exposing parts that should be covered. And why not be respectful and follow the policy?

I guess your one of the passengers that think wearing a G string and tassels to dinner would be ok- in the name of personal freedom!!

The Attitude that one can wear whatever and too bad if it's offensive is disappointing to say the least.

No, I have always followed carnivals guidelines on dress, however, I don't care if others don't. Its none of my business what others wear to dinner, that's up to them. So yes, I believe in their personal freedom to dress as they like, as that does not affect me in anyway.

Well it doesn't for you but does for others.

That's why standards / policy are set

The fact is Many people in a relative small space with many diverse set of people

If there was no standard and all were free do do whatever. It may appeal tnso small segment but not for the masses

So yea if someone was on the next table next to in a speedo eating while news with m wife it would bother me

If they were naked it would bother me

If I were in fantasy fest in key west the same would not bother me

Standards are a good thing

Well it doesn't for you but does for others.

That's why standards / policy are set

The fact is Many people in a relative small space with many diverse set of people

If there was no standard and all were free do do whatever. It may appeal tnso small segment but not for the masses

So yea if someone was on the next table next to in a speedo eating while news with m wife it would bother me

If they were naked it would bother me

If I were in fantasy fest in key west the same would not bother me

Standards are a good thing

Standards are a good thing when they suit the situation, sure.

Have you actually seen Carnival allow someone with a speedo in the dining room? It seems silly to make up hypothetical issues (I saw this and someone else say "nipple covers and a thong" or something similar) when the real "issue" people have with it is not something so extreme.

Is someone wearing shorts on elegant night (which were perfectly allowed dining wear on casual night) REALLY ruining your night? It certainly doesn't bother me. We wouldn't wear shorts to dinner anyway (I get cold, DH just doesn't like wearing shorts unless he's running around and being active) but I prefer people with a reasonable attitude to dress and hope Carnival evolves the rules when the majority of their cruisers no longer care about such silliness.

DH was once harassed in the steakhouse by some old woman mad he didn't wear a tie (wasn't required) or jacket (ditto) and it's put me off that attitude completely. I find people far more suspect when they care about others' dress than when they don't.

So, I guess the attitude some people has just bothers me. Their elegant is so relaxed, it's fine by us (technically a "polo" classifies for men; basically everything I bring except my bathing suit, cover-up dresses, flops, or shorts classifies for me, because I don't bring long jeans generally on hot cruises and I mainly wear skirts/dresses everywhere), but even the "idea" that it's different stresses my DH out (he doesn't mind wearing khakis or black pants and a dress shirt by any means and would wear that on a casual night sometimes too, but he hates the idea that someone might expect he be in a tie or a jacket or something, even though he knows it's not the rules).

Edited by berrieh

Since I have never seen speedos in the dining room, or any other kind of bathing attire I guess I have just been traveling on the "wrong" ships. Wouldn't it be nice if people attached pictures to their complaints to let us see what they see. Until then I tend to see it as hypothetical extreme statements tossed out to validate someone's complaints.

We follow the Cruise Line Dress Codes, and really couldn't care less about what anyone else chooses to wear, with one or two exceptions. Once, on the Legend, while not at dinner in the MDR, but at breakfast, a man with his wife, girlfriend or whoever she was, walked in with a t-shirt that said "I'm with Stupid," with an arrow pointing to his partner, and on the Pride once, a guy kept his baseball cap on his head throughout dinner. Both dress choices were inappropriate to say the least.

We were on that cruise also and you gave a accurate description of what I saw also. Still a good cruise. We have cruised the Pride 5 times in Sept. and Oct. out on Baltimore and this cruise was a first for us with the weather

Same with us. First time for the weather, but we know going in that it is the hurricane season. We have no complaints and were very pleased with the compensation.;)

I was also on the Pride the ship to nowhere! I also agree! The 2nd day was the worst in my opinion with my Son's GF and Grandson getting sick. But after that they were fine. We stopped for a brief stop in Turks but pulled away by 1PM to try to get ahead of the storm. We ended up passing by Half Moon Cay and Freeport without stopping. The captain kept us completely informed and put our safety first. At any time did I feel in danger but I agree the howling of the wind was a bit scary! The skies looked dark and grey but I did look out alot on my balcony. My Grandson loved the cruise.....especially the arcade! The food was great and so was the comedy shows. Sad to hear they had to medivac someone off the ship one night during the high winds. I hope he was okay. I think Carnival was very generous to compensate us for 50% of our cruise and also 50% off our next cruise plus the port cost immediately came up on our bill as a credit! I did notice a few things that Carnival is not doing that they usually do. 1. As I met the room Steward he asked if we wanted morning or evening turn down of the bed. Oddly I thought they came in both times but I went along with morning. Our room Steward was Issac and he was the best ever. We also felt he deserved extra and did so. 2. No more chocolates on the pillow at night! HA! like we really need it! 3. My hubby missed the newsletter that they usually had available. All and all we had a nice time. I was sorry my Grandson and Son's gf got sick but happy the rest of the cruise they were find. I was sorry to hear so many people worried about us back home. It was suppose to hit OC so I was grateful it turned and did not hit there since I live in Dover De. Sad SC is having so much flooding. So hopefully we will plan another cruise with the $$ they are refunding us and hopefully not have a problem. I like the Pride and love that we do not have to get on a plane! So I'll be cruising on the Pride again.

We had Issac on our 8/16 Pride sailing. He was fantastic! We had 3 cabins and all left him extra $$. Glad you were still able to have a nice cruise!:)