Sun to Alaska with teens?

soccermom4

I'm busily researching cruise possibilities for next summer (7/16) and DH would love to go to Alaska. We've cruised on RCCL and Carnival with the kids (19, 18, 16, 14) and they always have a great time. I know that Alaskan cruises are much different than the Caribbean cruises we've done in the past. However, with the Sun being a smaller ship than say - Mariner of the Seas or Freedom of the Seas - is there enough to keep my teens busy when we're not in port? I can sit and watch Alaskan scenery for hours, but not sure the kids will want to.

Input from families who have done Alaska with teens on the Sun is appreciated. I like its itinerary the best - but would we be better off on the Jewel or Pearl?

I'm busily researching cruise possibilities for next summer (7/16) and DH would love to go to Alaska. We've cruised on RCCL and Carnival with the kids (19, 18, 16, 14) and they always have a great time. I know that Alaskan cruises are much different than the Caribbean cruises we've done in the past. However, with the Sun being a smaller ship than say - Mariner of the Seas or Freedom of the Seas - is there enough to keep my teens busy when we're not in port? I can sit and watch Alaskan scenery for hours, but not sure the kids will want to.

Input from families who have done Alaska with teens on the Sun is appreciated. I like its itinerary the best - but would we be better off on the Jewel or Pearl?

Since nobody has responded I'll give this a shot although I can't speak to having cruised with teenagers.

We have cruised the last three years on the Sun to Alaska. Seven days up to Seward from Vancouver, BC and seven days back to Vancouver, BC. The Sun does round trip seven day cruises at the beginning (one week?) of the season and at the end (one week?) where as the Jewel and the Pearl do seven day cruises out of Seattle weekly during the Summer. So, for the most part if you sail on the Sun you will fly into Vancouver, BC and fly out of Anchorage, AK at the end of the seven day cruise unless you do a B2B cruise back to Vancouver.

I know there is an arcade and I believe there is a teen center on the Sun. I know they have planned activities for the teens as one came up to me and asked me if I would marry her. Imagine my surprise as I'm a happily married Senior. The activity was following a list of actions that had to be completed and photographed by another teen in the group.

There is also a room where board games can be played which is next to the library. There is a basketball court if the weather is nice and bean bag throw in the atrium most sea days.

One thing that I would suggest is when you choose your cruise is sign up on a Roll Call and be on the lookout for families and make an introduction and start a dialog with other parents that have teens. Breaking the ice for your teens goes a long way in helping them get acquainted with other teens. Good Luck!

John

I last cruised with my teens in 2003 - on the Sky to AK. They like the scenery and wildlife as much as we did so they were entertained. They were also not into social media and electronic gaming (although we did allow them to bring their Game Boys along). I don't recall where they used them all that much.

We also brought along some of our favorite family style games and used them to pass the time in the evenings.

I also know that today's teens are not like mine were in 2003 so YMMV

In 7 days you will visit 3 ports and see Glacier Bay(NB) and Hubbard Glacier. There are really only 2 real sea days on this voyage. In the ports there are now ATV rides, Zip Lines and other adventure things to do.

Only you know your teens and how much entertainment they need.

• 2 months later...

_Almost said "in same boat." I want to take the family to Alaska and Donali next July. The girls will be 15 and 17, and have only been on one cruise and that was with National Geographic to the Galapagos.

They did well with all the activities but want to make "friends" on the ship. I guess they don't want it to be a ship of old people, like me, their Nana. I have no idea what line would be best. I am cautious of the bigger ships that seem like a 10 story city block on water.

Have you made plans as yet? Can you share your information? The travel agent we saw recommended Norwegian American lines. I am concerned with all the negative reviews about the food and cleanliness of rooms.

I can't help with the issue of keeping teens occupied, although my past experience with my kids would suggest to me that they will find friends and ways to be occupied.

What i will suggest is that if you're only ever going to do one Alaska cruise, then you should do an itinerary that includes Glacier Bay. The bonus with that is that on NCL you get to be on the Pearl, one of our favorite ships in their fleet.

Did you mean Holland American Lines.... NCL is Norwegian

Seriously for Alaska the ports are the main feature so I wouldn't worry about much of anything except the itinerary. With NCL you're more relaxed and casual and there are no assigned dining times, so you don't have to rush or wait around after returning from port to eat dinner.

I think you'd have a lovely time on the SUN, she's a great ship and not a top heavy monstrosity.

I am not sure what line we will be taking, at lot depends upon the wonderful information I am getting here. I am sure we will also take a tour that includes on Denali. Our national parks are treasures the family embraces.

Thank you for your input.

We will be leaving from OHare and would like to avoid the time in customs so I thought flying direct to Alaska would be best after reading multiple complaints.

Yes, kids to find friends wherever they go.

• 2 weeks later...

We are taking the Sun from Vancouver to Seward in July 2016 with 2 girls (12 & 14). We specifically chose this cruise as we will be going to Denali after the cruise as our family also enjoys the National Parks and are checking them off our list one by one.

We previously sailed on the Pearl to Alaska and will say that there were less ship days on that trip "Seattle to Seattle" and the Pearl seemed to have some additional activities - bowling alley and climbing wall. The ports are the same on both cruises and there is plenty to do at each.

My girls will most likely spend the sea days in the teen club or swimming. I'm going to assume that there will be other activities during the sea days as there was on the other trip. Your 19 & 18 would be the ones that may find the amenities on the ship lacking for their interests?

Having spent over a month total sailing on the Sun, I'll try to answer any questions you may have. I've never been to Alaska on the Sun, but have seen most of the Caribbean with her.

She's an older ship, but my DW and I have really enjoyed her. She's easy to navigate, has good dining options, and and never seems as crowded as the newer, bigger ships.

That said, the small arcade would not have kept me busy 15 years ago. Our saving grace is we vacay in the middle of winter and leaving -20F for the sunny Caribbean is easy. (As Jimmy Buffett would say, these changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes. ) My DW and I usually spend our time in a comfortably numb state, so lounging around the pool with a drink is mostly our speed. I'd even been named "Mr. sexy legs" two cruises in a row.

If teenage me was on the Sun and wasn't able to party/enjoy the sun (as our Alaskan cruise was on the Pearl and COLD, even for ND summer standards) I think I'd have been bored. Yes, there's Internet, and the cruise staff tries to keep people entertained, I still think I'd have dang near lost it on the Sun.

My $.02, if they are along to enjoy the sights and aren't the type that keep their heads into their phones/ipods, they should be fine, but if they are expecting fun in the sun...their patience might be tested as there isn't a whole lot to do other than play cards or listen to some of the nature/port shopping talks onboard.

Thanks for the info. I am a little anxious to make the plans affecting the 5 of us. The girls want to do so much but I haven't been able to get a sense of what is available and costs for us to do anything not on the schedule.

The girls are interested in whale watching, zip lining, seeing the sled dogs and maybe fishing with their dad, if possible.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

We are in the same boat. We have a 16 year old son that gets bored easily. We've always done Disney but we've tried to venture out now that he's older. We cruised NCL from Venice to Greek Isles last fall and was worried about his boredom. We coaxed our best friends to go who also has a son 1 year older than ours. Greatest idea ever. They created their own fun. They are joining us again next July on the Sun thankfully. Just booked it this weekend. But they are both fishermen and hikers so I think it's going to be a good trip. Sounds thus far (1 year in advance) that we may have good company. Happy travels whatever you decide!