PATH and MTA Cards

Verde Man

I have read that PATH will accept MTA cards for payment of a fare but could not see where MTA will accept a PATH card for fare payment.

If I buy a PATH card to get to WTC from Newark will I be able to use the same card on the subway system, provided I have it loaded with enough cash.

I am applying for a senior PATH card for my upcoming trip to NY before my cruise up the east coast.

Correct using Metrocard, the yellow fare card (well most, some aren't because they have advertising) can be used both with the MTA Bus and Subway and Port Authority PATH.

ONLY "Pay Per Ride" metrocards not the MTA unlimited cards are accepted by PATH.

DO NOT get the PATH "Smartlink" card even though it offers bigger discount for multiple use on PATH that is not accepted by the Bus or Subway.

There is a New Yorker trick if you can do it by purchasing your Metrocard from a SUBWAY Metrocard Machine and NOT the PATH metrocard machines. Subway ones give an 11% bonus on purchase of $5.50 or more where PATH machines do not give any bonus. $10 purchase gets you $11.10 on the card if.

Also for subway use you can use one metrocard for 4 people. You can swipe as many times as money on the card but the card only holds up to 4 transfers. 5th swipe it overwrites the first swipe so if you plan to use transfers and your party is bigger than 4 you need multiple cards which brings up the $1 fee per new card.

FWIW

• 2 weeks later...

Oh gosh

I'm from California never been on a subway, train path, metro. Oh reading these post make me nervous .

We will stay Robet Treat in NJ three nights. I want to go to WTC one morning, take the ferry to see SOL in the afternoon then the next day get tickets for the on and off tour bus. I think I need to get to Times Square to get to that. Oh I'd also like to go see Central Park, maybe a carriage ride . This sounds pretty difficult to me