Most dangerous cruise stops in Caribbean

Kingofcool1947

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/the-caribbean-s-most-dangerous-cruise-stops-will-surprise-you-171528079.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-2613200/The-worlds-dangerous-cruise-ports-call.html

DW and I are booked for December Western Caribbean cruise.

Should we be worried re: Roatan beach day shore excursion? Property theft, or assault? Safety tips?

We are considering cancelling the pre-booked shore excursion, and instead just spend the day onboard the ship instead.

TIA

Edited by Kingofcool1947

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/the-caribbean-s-most-dangerous-cruise-stops-will-surprise-you-171528079.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-2613200/The-worlds-dangerous-cruise-ports-call.html

DW and I are booked for December Western Caribbean cruise.

Should we be worried re: Roatan beach day shore excursion? Property theft, or assault? Safety tips?

We are considering cancelling the pre-booked shore excursion, and instead just spend the day onboard the ship instead.

TIA

If you feel safer on the ship, don't get off.

I've been to Roatan maybe a dozen times on port stops and have spent two different weeks vacationing on West Bay Beach at Infinity Bay Hotel, right next to Tabyanana beach. I walked the beach every night going to different restaurants, and never felt unsafe.

But that's me and I'm not you, so you should do whatever keeps you in vacation mode. If you do a Tabyana beach excursion, there are staff available to watch your stuff on lounges if you want to snorkel swim or just stroll the beach. There are many guided tours you can take to various attractions and activities around the isle.

Common safety: don't flash money, electronics or jewelry, don't go anywhere alone, don't go on cuthroat or bargain rate independent excursions.

There are areas in Roatan where I wouldn't want to be by myself. We actually got lost in Coxen Hole and had to take a taxi back to our resort. I didn't feel in danger but I wasn't happy about it. As for safety? While I am at West Bay or West End, I feel perfectly safe. We have stayed a few blocks from West Bay beach and I felt perfectly safe. It is your choice and you have to do what you feel is best for you and your family. I will say I feel safer in Roatan than I do in Jamaica. After my last cruise stop in Jamaica 10 years ago, I refuse to go back there. I did not feel safe at all. (P.S. I am not a travel chicken. I have travelled to China, Egypt and Columbia)

We wouldn't dream of NOT getting off the ship at Roatan. We love it! The island is gorgeous, and if you like snorkeling, you won't see more beautiful reef anywhere! We first visited on a cruise and went to Maya Key to snorkel and fell in love. We went back the next year and stayed a week in a really cute B&B at West Bay. We walked the beach many times at night, and always felt safe.

I wonder if tourists to the USA read all the news reports about us and are afraid to come visit? I mean, we have had a school shooting almost every week lately! It makes me want to move to Roatan!!

It's like anywhere you tour - even in the states. Be smart, don't flash money or expensive jewelry. Be aware of your surroundings, and try to go where most other tourists do. Do your homework before you go. Research where you go, etc.

We really love Roatan, and can't wait to go back on our cruise in December.